“Great bank holiday lunch.”
Review of The Anchor Inn

The Anchor Inn
Ranked #18 of 94 Restaurants in Faversham
Price range: US$10 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Anchor Inn is a beautiful 300 year old pub, just a few minutes walk from Faversham town centre at the terminus of Abbey Street, one of the finest preserved medieval streets in England, and very close to the historic Faversham creek. Some of the beams in the pub are reported to be from the old Abbey in Faversham.
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great bank holiday lunch.”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Went back to The Anchor for lunch bank holiday Monday and found the food just as good as previously, really good value £11.50 for 3 courses and everything beautifully cooked. The owners and staff always very friendly and pleasant.... great atmosphere.
In addition I had the best gin and tonic I've had in a long time!!

2 Thank Delia E

kent
“What a Treat”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I have eaten here 4 times now. Each time as good as ever.Comfortable surroundings, warm and inviting atmosphere, welcoming friendly staff. This brings me to the outstanding cuisine. I do not usually rave over food and I am not one for often eating out as I like home made food and I enjoy cooking. However, the taste and quality and the presentation of the food here is exceptional. Mouthwatering is the word I would use. I am pleased to say that this week a 3 course meal cost £11.50 . Excellent value. Well done to The Anchor. I would not hesitate to recommend this super place to others and have already done so. Upon leaving, we met other people who were on their way there for lunch and they said that The Anchor was, in their opinion the best place to eat in Faversham. There you have it. Treat yourself.

1 Thank patsy_lilKent
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Persist if you want a table.”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Visited with friends as in the area. Went on a busy Sunday (vintage car and bike rally) and all tables were booked. after a couple of drinks the restaurant was pretty full but the pub crowd had thinned. AS we left I asked in case a table was free and was tod if we were prepared to eat in the bar that would be OK. Service was prompt and friendly, the selection from the fixed price (£15.50) three course menu was excellent. Three different starters and mains and four different sweets convinced that the food matched the service. Fine dining this isn't but food was wholesome, portions fine and the service excelled considering they were full. Would definitely return.

Faversham, England, United Kingdom
“When is a steak not a steak?”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We booked a table on the basis that whenever we had tried to book before we hadn't been able to get in. I called to make a reservation and was immediatly told that the restaurant was fully booked for the evening. This was followed by "well we could fit you in, what time would you be thinking of coming?)
We arrived for a 7pm slot, lovely atmosphere, no problem, service quick and efficient. So where did it all go wrong? I ordered an 8oz sirloin steak but got a large slab of roast beef. Did it taste ok, yes it did as a slab of roast beef, but it wasn't a sirloin steak.
I didn't want to make a song and dance about it but I asked when paying the bill if the price charged for my meal would be based on a slab of roast beef or a sirloin steak. The point of my complaint was in the excuse that I was given by the manager. The chef cut off the fat . What was the problem? Did the meal taste ok?
When all said and done, my main meal was taken off the bill, which was the correct way forward.
Another interesting point was that the restaurant was suposedly full but there must have only been 50% capacity.
I do no want to deter anyone from visiting this restaurant. It is a delightful place. Just make sure that when you order a steak, you get a steak

London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We went in recently to try to get a table but it was full and noticed the layout and lighting in the restaurant had changed for the better so we wondered what else might have changed, having read it was under new management. Our first impression was not good. The Anchor pub has been a long standing favourite but on walking in we noticed that none of the regulars (and their dogs) were there and that most of the dark wood benches and tables had been taken out and replaced by round pine tables. We moved into the restaurant to be sat at a table near the bar that had not got the benefit of the improved lighting. Things started well with a small ‘amuse bouche’ portion of what tasted like butternut squash soup. It was subtly spiced and delicious so we thought this bode well for the food to come….a crab and prawn cocktail was good but the promised tarragon mayonnaise was either not on the plate or there was too little of it to notice only the slightest hint of tarragon. There was also far more crab meat than other ingredients which, while generous, was difficult to eat on its own. It could have done with some toast or at least some more of the lovely fresh bread that came earlier. Our mains were very disappointing. My duck breast had hardly any pink in at and was swimming in a bland gravy and not the ‘port jus’ that was on the menu. It seemed to be the same gravy that went with the pork that my husband ordered. I chose the duck partly because I liked the sound of the accompanying caraway cabbage but got a selection of under seasoned steamed vegetables: carrots, broccoli florets, courgettes, including cabbage that had the slightest caraway flavour. The sauté potatoes were ok but all in all it was unimpressive typical pub fare. For pudding we ordered a lemon tart to share and we were surprised and disappointed by the tiny portion, especially given the bounty of the previous courses. Was this a comment from the chef on the fact that I had not finished my starter and main? Or had they run out? The accompanying lime ice cream did not taste of lime although there was some lime zest in it. Our evening wasn’t helped by having to endure too loud 80s AOR for the whole evening which included what seemed to be an entire INXS album. We had no complaints about the service and the wine was ok but we won’t be going back and we are sad that our favourite Faversham pub has gone bland.

2 Thank corkykate