“A good old-fashioned proper pub”
Review of The Anchor Inn

The Anchor Inn
Ranked #23 of 95 Restaurants in Faversham
Price range: US$11 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Anchor Inn is a beautiful 300 year old pub, just a few minutes walk from Faversham town centre at the terminus of Abbey Street, one of the finest preserved medieval streets in England, and very close to the historic Faversham creek. Some of the beams in the pub are reported to be from the old Abbey in Faversham.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Firstly I should make it clear that this review and rating is as a pub as we only went in for a couple of drinks, so I cannot comment on the food or restaurant aspect.

This pub is set by the creek, just is a few minutes’ walk from the town centre at the end of the impressive and picturesque Abbey Street (said to be one of the best and longest medieval streets in the country). It is an old pub (some 300-years I believe) of character with wooden flooring, beams etc., yet unpretentious and without the ‘tweeness’ of many similarly historical pubs.

It appears to have a well-established local clientele in the public bar area, and has a good pub atmosphere to go with the range of Shepherd Neame Ales. It does provide food, although we didn’t eat there so cannot comment, but if you are looking for a pub with a down-to-earth old fashioned pub ambience, then you will like this one.

Parking is available on the quayside just down from the pub.

1  Thank malabarfly

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Went in this pub today. First I ordered the Ploughman's Lunch (which is a favourite of mine), but was informed by the bar maid that it had sold out, so I ordered the "Pie of the Day", which I was informed was cottage pie. When it arrived, it was basically a small metal bowl full of watery minced meat topped with warmed up mashed potato, and another small metal bowl of peas - AND THAT WAS IT! For this I was charged £10.50! Absolutely incredulous. How they stay in business charging such an extortionate amount for basically scraps I have no idea. The bar staff were nice enough, but this is one pub I will not be returning to. I'd rather go somewhere that actually charges realistic prices.

7  Thank Bungle73
Andy M, Owner at The Anchor Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Hello

I am indeed sorry that you had a disappoint meal in The Anchor, I wish you had said something at the time to our staff.

We are currently between head chefs with the new one starting on Monday 30th June, so we are using an agency chef. Obviously this isn't your problem, but please come back in and identify yourself to the manager.

From Monday there will be a completely new and exciting menu for you to try.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We have been to this Pub Restaurant a few times, specially in summer, enjoying sitting in the lovely garden with our grandchildren, as they can run around safely! We always had drinks and a small snack ( sandwiches,chips, salads ) unfortunately today we decided to have the 2 course Sunday Beef Roast with all the trimmings, as we were told no snacks or light options were available.Well the starter, Asparagus soup was very pleasant and tasty, but what great disappointment when the Beef arrived thickly cut odd slices of Beef, under cooked Yorkshire Puds. Very few small roast potatoes hardly any gravy, it didn't even look appetising. The vegetables were served in a separate dish, fresh and ok! First we ask for a little more gravy and horse reddish, which the very nice young waitress brought straight away. Only half of the beef was edible, the rest was chewy and stringy. We left a lot on the plate and mentioned it to the waitress who promised to tell the chef! Nothing wrong with paying £14.95 per person for two courses if its pleasant and good food, but this wasn't either......when leaving we overheard another gentleman complaining about the Beef Roast, so we were not the only ones!! We will return, as we live locally, but have the Snack food again ( which we were told will be served again on sundays in a few weeks) instead of Sunday roast........!!

7  Thank FabDior

Hello

I am sorry that you have had a disappointing experience in our pub. We get our beef from the Butcher of Brogdale and it is rare that we have complaints about it. We are currently using an interim chef with a new chef due to start with us in July.

As Joe mentioned we will also be offering snack options as well as the Sunday lunch from now on as well, which will allow people who do not want a large meal on a hot, sunny afternoon while sitting in our beer garden a better choice.

Cheers

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Visited Friday lunchtime, NO brown bread, I mean why couldn't somebody go to Tesco and buy some (5 minute walk away)..

Serving staff looked like they had got dressed in the dark and was serving food with chipped nail varnish..

Food has been better under previous owners but I have also had worse meals here under previous owners too.

Manager seems nice and was friendly and attentive.. Food was just not good and yet this is so much potential..

Still I will give it a try but I'd prefer to go to the Albion on the other side of the River as the food is much much better.

7  Thank DoughtyQPR

Hello

I must apologise for the lack of brown bread. We source our bread from Oscars in Faversham who have won numerous awards for the quality of their bread; we normally do not run out, but I have been told that this particular lunchtime was much busier than normal and as such we ran out.

We have a new chef starting in July, hopefully you will give us another try and see the difference.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We ate for the first time at the Anchor on a Wednesday evening. As soon as we entered the manager Terry was very welcoming and throughout the evening went out of his way to make sure we we happy with everything. A nice menu with some specials on the board. Can highly recommend the bread and olives to start, beautifully presented....very generous amount (plenty for two to share) and very tasty indeed. After the main meals we were just too full to try the puddings, maybe next time as we will definitely return to eat here again. A really nice relaxed setting, excellent friendly service and great food. What more can you ask for.

Hello,

Thank you for your lovely review. We hope to see you again sometime soon!

Cheers