“bar snacks”

The Anchor Inn
Ranked #21 of 92 Restaurants in Faversham
Price range: US$10 - US$21
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Anchor Inn is a beautiful 300 year old pub, just a few minutes walk from Faversham town centre at the terminus of Abbey Street, one of the finest preserved medieval streets in England, and very close to the historic Faversham creek. Some of the beams in the pub are reported to be from the old Abbey in Faversham.
“bar snacks”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have, over the years, been pleased with the quality of food here. Had to change my mind today. Whoever the present chef is, he or she obviously cannot even cook decent chips or a rasher of bacon. Waited 40 minutes for the meal. The baguettes were cheap quality, the chips were oily, overcooked outside and half raw inside. My daughter's bacon and brie baguette was disgusting, unmelted brie, hard, overcooked bacon with soggy fat. Fish fingers were of a poor quality. The ham baguette was plastered with far too much mustard - why not serve the mustard in a pot separately? Nobody came out to check that things were OK or we would have said. We were all disappointed and a complaint was made at the bar resulting in not being charged for the chips. But this was the worst pub meal we've had in years and will not be returning. Back to The Vaults next time!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Pamela F

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Lunch time pub food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

Visited on a Saturday lunchtime with friends for a special celebratory prebooked lunch.
Unfortunately the meal wasn't very celebratory, meat pie without a pastry top and lacking a range of vegetables,cod with boiled potatoes and nothing else and the others meals were not any better.This lunch had been arranged as a special meal by an elderly relation as a special family treat and he was very disappointed and embarrassed by the presented meals.Have a drink there but not a meal.

• Visited June 2014
6 Thank papabear1946
Faversham, United Kingdom
“A mixed bag!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Visited a couple of weeks ago with a group of 8 for a work Doo having not been there for several years.. On arrival the guy behind the bar was very welcoming, and the bar area was a lot brighter and more open than it used to be which I think is a good thing.. We had drinks in the garden which was spacious and well kept and moved through to the restaurant to eat. I was slightly surprised that for a Friday evening we were the only booking, but to be fair it was a lovely evening and people may have been eating outside which we were offered.

On arrival one of the party had mentioned that this was our delayed Christmas Doo, and it was lovely that our table had christmas crackers on it which was a nice touch.

The waitress was friendly, however when we asked for a wine list, she said they did not have one, but she could tell us what some of the wines were! We opted to buy individual drinks, and I do think no wine list for a restaurant is a bit odd... She told us what the specials were and what was not available on the already limited menu which was disappointing. One of our party had eaten here before and recommended the burger, so as a party that's what we all decided, including me as the lone vegetarian as I had read on the website about how good the vege burgers were; imagine my further disappointment when I ordered to be told 'oh yes, that was the other thing I meant to tell you we don't have on the menu'. I opted for the vegetable curry which sadly was very disappointing. It was very limited in the variety of veg, basically large chunks of carrot, peppers and a few other things I couldn't identify. I would suggest it had not been made that day (which I don't have an issue with in principle if it tastes good and keeps good texture) but it was very brown and stodgy. I like spicy food and the main issue with this curry tho was that it was so hot (spice) that it just burnt my mouth and made by nose stream, if there was any flavour it certainly could not fight its way through the heat, which was a shame.. The rice was tasteless and had the texture of 'easy cook' rice which is not to my taste. The rest of the group enjoyed their burgers and there were no complaints. For dessert the feedback generally was good and I had the chocolate fondant which was absolutely gorgeous.

Overall a nice atmosphere and I would happily return for a drink and will give the food another go as reading other reviews it looks like when we went they were using an interim chef.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank Teresa D
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Just Lovely...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

Walked in on a Wednesday evening at 6 o'clock, requested a table for two and didn't leave until close.

The staff were attentive, friendly and full of banter. We ordered the Anchor Burger with all the trimmings and the Cod dish, which was exquisite. Having read some of the previous reviews it should be noted that we were advised it was the chef's second day at the establishment, so credit to the management for recruiting an excellent new Chef. The food presentation was fantastic and every table around us were sending compliments back to the kitchen.

After dinner we sat at the bar and enjoyed the duration of the evening with many drinks and a homemade Mustard Pickled Egg in a bag of crisps. The Landlord joined us for a drink and was full of local knowledge and an expert on the subject of Shepherd Neame's heritage and brews.

The highlight of our evening had to be the delightful Pub Dog 'Garfunkel' who after 9pm joins those in the bar for the final two hours of entertainment and some mini cheddars and bonios.

Excellent Food, Great Beer and unchallenged atmosphere. So happy we found this pub!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Louise H
Gravesend, United Kingdom
“A good old-fashioned proper pub”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Firstly I should make it clear that this review and rating is as a pub as we only went in for a couple of drinks, so I cannot comment on the food or restaurant aspect.

This pub is set by the creek, just is a few minutes’ walk from the town centre at the end of the impressive and picturesque Abbey Street (said to be one of the best and longest medieval streets in the country). It is an old pub (some 300-years I believe) of character with wooden flooring, beams etc., yet unpretentious and without the ‘tweeness’ of many similarly historical pubs.

It appears to have a well-established local clientele in the public bar area, and has a good pub atmosphere to go with the range of Shepherd Neame Ales. It does provide food, although we didn’t eat there so cannot comment, but if you are looking for a pub with a down-to-earth old fashioned pub ambience, then you will like this one.

Parking is available on the quayside just down from the pub.

• Visited June 2014