“Worst lunch in Faversham”
Review of The Anchor Inn

The Anchor Inn
Ranked #21 of 100 Restaurants in Faversham
Price range: US$10 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Anchor Inn is a beautiful 300 year old pub, just a few minutes walk from Faversham town centre at the terminus of Abbey Street, one of the finest preserved medieval streets in England, and very close to the historic Faversham creek. Some of the beams in the pub are reported to be from the old Abbey in Faversham.
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Went to the Anchor for lunch and ordered lunch for four adults...
A ham and mustard baguette, a Brie and bacon baguette and sandwich, a fish finger sandwich and a side of chips and cheesy chips...nothing too taxing even for a junior chef ?
After waiting 45minutes we finally got our food....the chips were awful,greasy,warm and undercooked.The Brie and bacon filling comprised of about an inch of dried up Brie and hard,dry bacon, the ham was smothered in so much mustard it had to be scraped off before it was edible and the fish finger sandwich was passable although not the best of fish fingers. We did get a salad garnish which comprised of a few lettuce leaves and two pieces of dried up cucumber.
If anyone had bothered to come and ask us if everything was ok we would have sent the food back. I did complain about the food when I went in to pay and they agreed to not charge us for the chips!
All round a very bad experience, the only good thing was the beer but there is plenty of good beer in Faversham so we will not be returning.

4  Thank Alison D

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I have, over the years, been pleased with the quality of food here. Had to change my mind today. Whoever the present chef is, he or she obviously cannot even cook decent chips or a rasher of bacon. Waited 40 minutes for the meal. The baguettes were cheap quality, the chips were oily, overcooked outside and half raw inside. My daughter's bacon and brie baguette was disgusting, unmelted brie, hard, overcooked bacon with soggy fat. Fish fingers were of a poor quality. The ham baguette was plastered with far too much mustard - why not serve the mustard in a pot separately? Nobody came out to check that things were OK or we would have said. We were all disappointed and a complaint was made at the bar resulting in not being charged for the chips. But this was the worst pub meal we've had in years and will not be returning. Back to The Vaults next time!

2  Thank Pamela F
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Visited on a Saturday lunchtime with friends for a special celebratory prebooked lunch.
Unfortunately the meal wasn't very celebratory, meat pie without a pastry top and lacking a range of vegetables,cod with boiled potatoes and nothing else and the others meals were not any better.This lunch had been arranged as a special meal by an elderly relation as a special family treat and he was very disappointed and embarrassed by the presented meals.Have a drink there but not a meal.

6  Thank papabear1946
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Visited a couple of weeks ago with a group of 8 for a work Doo having not been there for several years.. On arrival the guy behind the bar was very welcoming, and the bar area was a lot brighter and more open than it used to be which I think is a good thing.. We had drinks in the garden which was spacious and well kept and moved through to the restaurant to eat. I was slightly surprised that for a Friday evening we were the only booking, but to be fair it was a lovely evening and people may have been eating outside which we were offered.

On arrival one of the party had mentioned that this was our delayed Christmas Doo, and it was lovely that our table had christmas crackers on it which was a nice touch.

The waitress was friendly, however when we asked for a wine list, she said they did not have one, but she could tell us what some of the wines were! We opted to buy individual drinks, and I do think no wine list for a restaurant is a bit odd... She told us what the specials were and what was not available on the already limited menu which was disappointing. One of our party had eaten here before and recommended the burger, so as a party that's what we all decided, including me as the lone vegetarian as I had read on the website about how good the vege burgers were; imagine my further disappointment when I ordered to be told 'oh yes, that was the other thing I meant to tell you we don't have on the menu'. I opted for the vegetable curry which sadly was very disappointing. It was very limited in the variety of veg, basically large chunks of carrot, peppers and a few other things I couldn't identify. I would suggest it had not been made that day (which I don't have an issue with in principle if it tastes good and keeps good texture) but it was very brown and stodgy. I like spicy food and the main issue with this curry tho was that it was so hot (spice) that it just burnt my mouth and made by nose stream, if there was any flavour it certainly could not fight its way through the heat, which was a shame.. The rice was tasteless and had the texture of 'easy cook' rice which is not to my taste. The rest of the group enjoyed their burgers and there were no complaints. For dessert the feedback generally was good and I had the chocolate fondant which was absolutely gorgeous.

Overall a nice atmosphere and I would happily return for a drink and will give the food another go as reading other reviews it looks like when we went they were using an interim chef.

4  Thank Teresa D
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Walked in on a Wednesday evening at 6 o'clock, requested a table for two and didn't leave until close.

The staff were attentive, friendly and full of banter. We ordered the Anchor Burger with all the trimmings and the Cod dish, which was exquisite. Having read some of the previous reviews it should be noted that we were advised it was the chef's second day at the establishment, so credit to the management for recruiting an excellent new Chef. The food presentation was fantastic and every table around us were sending compliments back to the kitchen.

After dinner we sat at the bar and enjoyed the duration of the evening with many drinks and a homemade Mustard Pickled Egg in a bag of crisps. The Landlord joined us for a drink and was full of local knowledge and an expert on the subject of Shepherd Neame's heritage and brews.

The highlight of our evening had to be the delightful Pub Dog 'Garfunkel' who after 9pm joins those in the bar for the final two hours of entertainment and some mini cheddars and bonios.

Excellent Food, Great Beer and unchallenged atmosphere. So happy we found this pub!

1  Thank Jennifer H