“Nice, clean and friendly hotel within...”
Review of Railway Hotel

and 1 more site!
Railway Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Faversham
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Nice, clean and friendly hotel within easy walking distance to town centre and right by railway station. Room with period features which perhaps makes it feel a bit dated, bit decor tidy and clean. Breakfast was good, juice, cereal, toast and full English included. Bar is cosy and has character, good beers. Only one bad point. Even thou this pubs customers leave quietly at the end of the night, other pubs in the town don't, and the noisy drunks walk past late at night shouting and swearing back to the station, and no double glazing means you hear all of it.

Reviewed 5 April 2010

Stayed in the Railway Hotel over Easter break with my wife and friends. We had two large double rooms and the single. Admitedly this is a small room but with no huge single room supplement like with other hotels, it was adequate for sleeping in. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms have character rather than the standard bland boxes from chain hotels. The breakfasts were very good, cereal, juice, a full English if desired (we did on all three mornings) and as much toast, tea or coffe as you wished. There was also fresh fruit everyday. The pub serves excellent real ale and is in a great location. We were not affected by any noise problems at night. The staff were all very pleasant. The Railway Hotel is a great value place to stay in the centre of Faversham.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2010

We stayed here as part of a weekend break and tour of Shepherd Neame Brewery. The outside of the pub is rather imposing but the inside is cosy and warm. The room we stayed in was a little tired looking decoration-wise. The shower wasn't too great either. The bed however was very comfortable indeed and breakfast the next day was delicious. the staff were friendly, although I'm not sure who was who in terms of owners/employees etc. Two very cute dogs greeted us in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Railway Hotel during the recent snow. What a welcoming place! Nothing was too much trouble. The beer is good, the breakfast is hearty and I shall definately be returning!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2010

Ended up here by chance and it was great. The bar and beer are splendid, the room, large and clean and the breakfast great. Staff very helpful

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 March 2009

I had the misfortune to stay in the Railway Hotel in February 2009. I usually stay in the Fairleas B & B but unfortunately they were full, the Railway Hotel could learn a lot from them!

In fairness, when I booked I was warned that the single room was small, but I didn't realise quite how small they meant. I can't believe that a room that small can legally be classed as a room, or that anyone could have the nerve to charge £39 for the use of it. Once I had placed my suitcase on the floor I had to step over it continually as there was no room to walk around it! The mattress was dreadful and gave me a backache in the morning. The TV was positioned so high on the wall that it was impossible to watch it unless lying flat on ones back on the bed without getting a neck ache.

There were tea stains on the Tea Tray, which was a very mean looking affair, there wasn't even any coffee sachets available. In a hotel you would expect to find a telephone these days, but there would not have been anywhere to put a telephone in this room, as the small teat tray took up the only available surface in the whole room.

I do not eat meat or white bread and in the day and age at breakfast I would have expected to be asked about any preferences, I am sure if I hadn't said anything that a "full English" would have been placed before me. While you may say I could have asked for things to be changed/provided, it doesn't say a lot for the staff/management that so many things were wrong.

I should add that members of my family also stayed at the Railway Hotel last year and had warned me that the owners/staff were not very accommodating or very friendly. As I said at the beginning this was not my first choice, and it certainly won't be a choice at all in the future unless things change. Not to be repeated and not to be recommended when there are so many other place getting it right these days.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
5  Thank PegoRafa
Reviewed 6 June 2008

Location perfect
Beautifull pub
Excellent restaurant
Rooms little bit dated but to us (Dutch) ever so British. Good bed.
Service excellent
Staff friendly

Stayed there for 3 nights. 1 Double 1 single.
Neutral welcome. We usually do not stay in Pub hotels. When we arrived we asked whether we could expect noise in the evening or night. We were told to expect things that are normal in an urban setting opposit a railway station. The pub closes at 11.00/11.30 in the evening. We decided to see and find out. We were not disappointed. Had a good sleep.

In the single room problem with the shower and second morning with watersupply more generally. Another room was offered to take a shower. At breakfast the owner (I think) asked whether I had a good shower in the other room. I said I did. I then was offered to have a double room for the last night to avoid problems the other day. Great !!!!

What more to say about this hotel. We stay in hotels to sleep and to have breakfast. So what we look for is reasonable price for acceptable quality. In the Railway Hotel we found that and felt home after one hour. So, if ever Faversham again, Railway Hotel again.

Theo van Beek
Mathilde and Wiliam Rovers

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Thom101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Faversham
Judd's Folly Hotel
#1 of 4 in Whitstable
Hotel Continental
Hotel Continental
#4 of 4 in Whitstable

Been to Railway Hotel? Share your experiences!