“Perfect Cooking and the chef actually does the cooking!”
Review of Read's Restaurant

Read's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 100 Restaurants in Faversham
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We had Read's in our sights for some time and finally arrived there last week. We had booked the Dinner B&B and whilst expensive, it was certainly worth the price £130 pp.

The dinner was superb: I had smoked eel to start and my husband had haddock cakes. For the main meal I chose lamb done in four different ways and it was succulent, pink and the best I have tasted for many a year. The surprise was that a small pie dish I thought was mashed potato, turned out to be a miniature shepherd's pie, not made with mince but with strips of lamb. My husband had the pork medallions and he also said how good it was. I finished with a cheese selection and my husband had the lemon pie. But this was no ordinary lemon pie - this was a David Pitchford lemon pie. When I saw it I just had to share my husband's good fortune (!) and it was superb, more like a freshly made, creamy lemon brulee surrounded by delicious pastry. The wine list was also very reasonable, price from £18.

The breakfast the next morning was superb and everything cooked to perfection. If you want something - just ask! Lovely surroundings, great service, comfy lounge prior to dinner and the tables well spaced.

Reviewed 26 October 2009

I've been to Reads once ... and fully intend to go there again (hopefully this Christmas). Five of us dined at Reads for Christmas '07 and had a magnificent meal. Upon arrival you're seated in the lounge area. Drinks are accompanied by excellent appetisers. I cannot fault the food or the service. It's not the cheapest restaurant I've ever eaten in but the quality justifies the price.

Reviewed 3 June 2009

We spent the night and dined at Read's. Outstanding grounds with giant old trees, huge brick walled vegetable garden, excellent restaurant set in a fine old brick country house. The rooms are very large, well proportioned, and beautifully furnished. It is one of the most comfortable country houses we've stayed in in England.
Best seafood mousse with fresh asparagus & a chardonnay sauce
Great cheddar cheese souffle with smoked haddock & a cream sauce
Tasty Pork cooked 3 ways
Duck breast (overcooked) but served with the most amazing whole baked onion.
Super lemon tart
Great Breton biscuit with strawberries

Reviewed 5 May 2009

Went there for an anniversary dinner in April 2009. Top notch food and service although prices a bit eye-watering by comparison with other establishments in the area. Wish we could afford to eat there more often!

Reviewed 12 April 2009

We stayed for two nights in May 2009 to celebrate an anniversary. We were booked into Cedar room which was lovely, spacious and beautifully decorated. We snuck a look at the other rooms and they all looked just as lovely. The floor was creaky but we didn't mind that, it just added to the atmosphere! The room came with a decanter of complimentary sherry which was very welcome and a bottle of mineral water in the bathroom- another nice touch. There are no tea and cofee making facilities in the rooms but a "pantry" off the hallway with sink, kettle and fridge for guests use. Here you can make tea, coffe, hot chocolate etc and sample the home made shortbread all free of charge. Much better than struggling with a mini-kettle in your bedroom. The fridge is also well stocked with wine, champagne etc and a honesty-book left for guests to specify what they have used.
The staff were delightful and the manager, who served us breakfast, was really helpful suggesting local walks etc. The best thing about Read's is the beautiful building, grounds and kitchen garden. Also the lovely staff, including the very friendly gardener. What didn't work so well was the booking in arrangements. There's no obvious reception desk so we stood around waiting to attract someone's attention on a busy lunchtime. Not a major problem but a bit disconcerting; some sort of signage might help. We were expecting great food and were a little disapointed. The tasting menu was not particularly immpressive and the wines not a good match. However, there was certainly plenty of wine- I've eaten lots of tasting menus and I've never been given such generous portions! The second night we chose from the carte and the food was much more impressive. Breakfast was great but no menu to peruse. We were just asked what we would like. I got the impression we could have asked for anything and they would have tried to get it but it is so nice to have a menu to mull over. Overall we had a great time but felt the food didn't live up to our expectations. However, if we lived nearer we would go back.