“Ski”

Chatham Ski and Snowboard Centre
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is a great dry ski slope enjoyed by many. It caters for large parties of children/adults. You can also hire/buy equipment and there is also excellent tuition available.

Andy R, General Manager at Chatham Ski and Snowboard Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for reviewing the Centre, your positive comments are appreciated.

Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Went on 25th May 2014 started off with tobogganing which was great fun.

Then skiing all of are good skiers but the slope is badly in need of an overhaul and seemed badly maintained even the staff were moaning about it.

Will return but not for skiing

1  Thank MikeUK66

Thank you very much for your review. Sometimes the slope doesn't run as well as at other times, especially on warm summer days. I am pleased you enjoy the toboggan run.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Took the kids here on Sunday. We arrived and I was surprised to see there wasn't many cars and we went straight in. The price was £4.50 for 2 rides or £9.00 for 5. I went for the 5 rides each but later wish that I didn't.

We got out to the toboggan and the queue was moderate but the sun was shining so didn't think it was too bad. We stood in the same place for 10 minutes without moving once and couldn't work out why when we could see people getting on and off the ride. After another few minutes I worked out there was a kiddies party which had arrived and they were able to push straight to the front of the queue (15 ish kids) and were riding the Toboggan, getting off and running straight to the front again.
I think there was supposed to be some kind of order to the queuing system but the staff weren't too concerned and it seemed a free for all. It took forever to get to the front of the queue.
The ride itself was very fun. The views of the Kent Countryside were amazing and the speed was prefect for me as a thrill seeker :-).
Got off at the other end and immediately queued again for our next turn and the same thing happened again with the queuing system. We spend ages in the queue (25 minutes) and managed to get on again. By this time the black clouds had blown over and it was raining very hard. The number of toboggans were reduced to 8 which slowed the queue down but the bonus was the party kids had all gone. Woo Hoo. Waited another 15 minutes and got on again, Was totally soaked and the toboggan was sliding around all over the place. After this turn I still had two more to use up but saw another party of kids arrive so that was me done. We decided it wasn't worth it and ended up leaving.
We had been there for an hour and a half in total and only had three goes on the toboggan which didn't keep my kids pleased.
I would visit the centre again but I would only buy 2 goes rather than 5. You can however buy 5 turns and share a ticket which makes it a bit cheaper.
The good thing was we were able to take our tickets home again so we can use them next time we are in the area.
It was a good experience but the organization and waiting times were not good at all and made the day very frustrating.

1  Thank wings149
Andy R, General Manager at Chatham Ski and Snowboard Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Hello Wings149, thank you for taking the time to review the Centre. We do offer priority queuing on the toboggan for our pre booked Birthday Parties. The majority of parties are for 2 rides and the party group then go on and do another activity. In general they are down at the run for about 30 minutes and we do limit the size of these groups to a maximum of 12 on a weekend with only one party per hour. We have to have a balance between and having guaranteed pre booked business and walk in trade which can often vary considerably according to the weather. The Cresta Run is a very popular attraction and we endeavour to get all riders onto the ride and quickly and as safely as possible. Do come back and use those remaining runs you have left! Regards Andy Rushton

Reviewed 23 April 2014

After about a year of wanting to learn to ski (not for a holiday, just for myself) I decided to book some lessons with the dry slope at Chatham. Luckily for me it is quite local.
I booked a set of group lessons, 4 for £100 with a 5th lesson free. Fantastic deal!
I had a different instructor for my first 3 lessons. Joe for lesson 1, Rob for lesson 2, and Ian for lessons 3 and 4 and honestly cannot fault any of them.
Their teaching was helpful and feedback was always constructive, each instructor was more than willing to help me personally if I needed it and despite learning as a group I feel like I progressed at a good pace.
I now take private lessons with Pam who is fantastic, she works with me so closely to make sure I have the confidence to use the slope and that the skills I have learnt are solid.
Great staff all round, even instructors who I haven't taken lessons with have been willing to help me if I needed it.

In terms of the slope, I have never had any problems with the condition of the main slope or the smaller slope.
Inside, you can get drinks and food and sit in the restaurant or by the windows to look out at the slope. Outside there are also picnic benches so when the weather's good it's nice to sit outside with a drink before a lesson and relax.

With regard to other comments, I have never seen any dirt or rubbish and all the equipment I have used has been in good condition. I don't think it would be in the company's best interests to even give out equipment that is damaged or in bad condition, could affect their insurance or cause a whole range of serious problems?
As for staff, I have mentioned instructors, but other members of staff are also lovely and it's great to watch people who look like they enjoy working at the slope and spending time with the people they work with.

One of my favourite times to go is freestyle night on thursday with the ramps etc out. There's a great atmosphere of being on the floodlit slope and having visitors and members of staff just ski and board together.
Would definitely recommend this slope, lucky to have something so local.

Andy R, General Manager at Chatham Ski and Snowboard Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time out to review the Centre, your positive comments are appreciated by both myself and the team. We do try to create a relaxed but customer focused atmosphere so that our customers can enjoy their valuable leisure time with us. We may not get it right every single time,but we do try to improve where we can. Regards Andy Rushton

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My daughter's friend had a party here in the summer.
All the kids got 2 goes on the toboggan run and 30 mins on the snow tubes - all inclusive of food.
You get a token for the toboggan run and are supervised on the snow-tubes
The toboggan run and snow tubes are fabulous fun and each child can take an adult on if required (yes, I went on)
The food was actually very good. Yes, it was the bog standard burger, nuggets or hot dog meals that this type of venue seems to think all children love (they don't!) but it was more appetizing than the norm
Overall an expensive party idea, but lots of fun

2  Thank keycamp-reveller

Stefan - Thank you for taking time to review the Centre and your kind comments. Regards Andy Rushton