“Rip off...” 1 of 5 bubbles

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Rip off...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

£47 for a family of 4...
If I had spent £30 more I could have gotten an annual national trust membership for the family.
With 2 young children you can only spend a maximum of a couple of hours here.. And in that time they wet the ice (under the guise of smoothing it out)... Only for the teenagers to hack it up and drop litter on it straight away.

The £1 charge for using a card to pay - not even a credit card...!!! Is ridiculous and antiquated...

Don't visit - wait for a pop up rink at Christmas - much more family friendly..

2 Thank Manerlive
Silver-Blades-Gil, Front Office Manager at Silver Blades Ice Rink, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Hi Manerlive. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I would like to have the opportunity to respond to some of your comments.

We offer a range of sessions to suit our customers needs and budgets from cheaper off peak skating to £5 parent and toddler clubs, £5 weekend kids clubs and all day skate sessions at peak times.

At our peak weekend sessions we offer a one off price for individuals or families whereby you can skate all day from 10:15 to 3:45. The vast majority of our customers do come and stay for several hours and this is the best way for us to cater for them rather than placing time limits on when they can enter or how long they can stay.

We have a free membership scheme which people can sign up to on our website which makes the price of an all day family of four ticket £34, including skate hire.

The most a family of four would pay for their ticket would be £40 which is an all day skate for four people including skate hire, for a non ice card member. So I assume within the £47 you spent you also hired some of our skating aids.

Every few hours we do need to resurface the ice, this is a universal procedure across all ice rinks. The top layer of ice become marked where people skate on it, so in order to keep the surface smooth and safe we scrape off the top layer of ice with our resurfacer and add a thin layer of water which then refreezes to create an optimum surface to skate on.

As a full sized ice rink, open 365 days a year, we do hope that all our customers have a positive experience when visiting the rink. We take on board your feedback and will be looking to make improvements within the marshalling of the rink, so that it is a fun experience for all.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback. Kind regards
Silver Blades Ice Rink - Gillingham

Rainham, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Robbers and thieves”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014

This place hasn't changed since I went for PE twenty years ago. Prices are shocking, £20 plus £6 for a penguin, skates that don't fit and unclasp at a moments notice. If you register on their website you can apparently save money, and to charge to use a card is tragic in this day and age. I think they still are locked in the 80's. They have no idea how to run a business. Once you are in you can stay all day, if you feet can stand the pain.

2 Thank James H
Hi James H. Thanks for the comments.

With regard to pricing - our peak price would be £11.50 per person which gives over 5 hours of ice skating time and skate hire. We have a free membership scheme called the Ice Card, which people can sign up for on our website and use from their first visit to the rink, which saves £1.50 per person. Taking the price for our weekend/peak skating session to £10 per person for a whole day of skating. Our penguin skating aids can be hired out for £3 for 30 minutes.

We aim to offer a range of sessions to meet the needs of our customers. So if people are looking for shorter sessions, particularly if they have children, we have extended our weekend kids club to a Saturday and Sunday morning. Offering 45 minutes of fun and games on the ice with our coaches for just £5 per child and this includes skate hire and use of a penguin skating aid.

We do appreciate people taking the time to give us their feedback and we do use your comments to shape how we improve the rink. We have just taken delivery of 500 pairs of new ice skates and like any business we do look at ways that we can improve so that our customers enjoy their visit and return.

Thank you again for taking the time to give us your feedback. Many thanks
Silver Blades Ice Rink Gillingham
Ashford, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awful - the place should be condemned it was so dirty.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We went for a children's birthday party. Lots of staff, but complete chaos. It took us 25 minutes of queuing to get to the reception desk, and they didn't know anything about the birthday party. Of the four staff on the counter, none of them knew how to deal with birthday parties, and it wasn't until someone else came by that it was resolved.

The upstairs bar area is about the only redeeming feature. It was clean. Downstairs at the rink, it was a complete disaster.

The toilets made me gag they were so disgusting. My 6 year old refused to go in.
The skates we hired stunk so badly that as soon as they were put on the counter I reeled away. Basic hygiene isn't considered important in this place.

The rink itself was so over crowded, it wasn't safe to skate. The good skaters weren't sticking to the sign posted rules, and were speeding around among the slower skaters like it was fun to terrify them. The skate marshalls didn't do much, if anything about it.

The staff helping out for the party themselves tried hard - no doubt about that, but the facilities are so dirty I am surprised they haven't been closed down. I had a shower as soon as I got home, and despite wearing socks, my feet stunk like the boots even after 15 minutes of scrubbing. Absolutely shocking. Needless to say, I will off to the pharmacy to get cream for athletes foot, because I am pretty sure I'll end up with it after than experience.

Also, it was very expensive for what it was. £23 for one adult and one child. I would have expected the rink to be looked after better. It wasn't just wet on top, their were massive puddles. You could splash people with the amount of water on the rink - and this was in the middle of winter.

3 Thank Martin S
Hi Martin S. Thank you for your comments, we do listen to our customer feedback both positive and negative and aim to make improvements in the rink so that all our visitors enjoy their visit.

Birthday party visitors are able to come directly to the reception desk and bypass the queue. It may be this information was not communicated to you, so we have taken steps to remind the parent/carer of the birthday child that they can tell their party guests to come straight to the reception desk where they will meet their party host.

We have also taken delivery this week of 500 pairs of new skates.

In response to your comments regarding pricing, we offer an all-in-one price of £11.50 per person including skate hire which allows you to skate from 10:15 until 3:45. We offer a free membership scheme called the Ice Card, which can be found on our website, which save each person £1.50 off their entrance fee - taking the price down to £10 per person for over 5 hours of skating and skate hire.

For children we run several shorter sessions including our Saturday and Sunday Penguin Club which is just £5 for 45 minutes fun and games on the ice with one of our skating coaches and includes skate hire.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments, your feedback is very valuable to us.

Kind regards - Silver Blades Ice Rink Gillingham
Ramsgate, England, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Expensive, run down and skates broken”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Hmm not bad, experience was good. Was on the ice for 45 mins until I slipped over and hurt my foot. My friend's son got barged out of the way and he was wet through, there was way too many people on the ice all at once which made it near impossible for novice skaters like myself, my friend and her son. The skates I put on were broken and the straps were either too loose or too tight and made my feet puff up they were so uncomfortable. We went to eat in the cafe and it took the people serving half an hour to do my chips which was a simple thing to do but seemed like a task, they also cocked up my friends order and we had to go back up 3 times to get the right order all this wasted another 45 mins and by that time we just ate and then left. We was only there for about 2 hours and within that time we spent mostly waiting for our food and also there was about 15 mins where the truck came on to smooth out the ice so we didnt get much time out there which we thought was a waste of money. Overall the time we had on the ice was fun and the experience was good before we had injuries and people barging us out the way. I dont think I'll make a habit of coming here as we travelled all the way from Ramsgate along the coast so it was a bit of a trek. If your local or want an hour or so on the ice give it a go but maybe not at the weekends when it seems the whole of Medway is on there! beware that the circle of people going round nearly fills the whole rink and people were seen going the wrong way and also cutting into the middle and barging others out the way.

1 Thank SparkiDizzle
Hi SparklDizzle. Thanks for taking the time to review our rink. I'm glad that the time you had on the ice was fun. It seems like there were also some areas where you feel our service could have been improved. We do take on board the comments people make in their reviews and look at ways we can make improvements.

As a result we have taken delivery this week of 500 pairs of new skates.

Thanks again for your comments. Silver Blades Ice Rink Gillingham
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Disappointing.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

Drove 45 mins with 4 children excited to be going ice skating only to see a large queue outside,we've been before and never seen this.joined the queue in the rain and the manager moved us inside.The queue was not moving very fast,as we got a bit closer in a member of staff told us they never had any size 4,7 or 8s left for hire.Great I thought as I'm a size 8,but thought ok I can get a 9 and the kids sizes were still available.So continued to queue which was now over 30 mins,finally get to the front then told nothing to hire from a 3-8 great I thought so I've been waiting all this time for nothing.Staff were not very apologetic just offered some discount cards to use at a later date.Spoke to the manager only to be told it was unprecedented the volume of people they had,I asked why they didn't have a time limit at busy times but was not given an answer.Very disappointed and so was the 4 children I had with me.All in all a disaster day nearly 1 hour to get there and another hour to be told we can't skate.....

1 Thank Nicola G
Hi Nicola G - Thank you for your review. I appreciated from the date of your review that you came during the February half term. At it happens this was one of our busiest weeks of the whole year, particularly as it coincided with the Winter Olympics which has sparked people's interest in ice skating. So unfortunately we had a larger volume than we were expecting.

We do take on board your comments and are making improvements within the rink to shorten queue times at reception during our very busy times, with more staff available at peak periods and more staff on hand to give information so that the queues move through faster. We have investigated the incident whereby customers were given conflicting information about skate availability. This week we have taken delivery of 500 pairs of new ice skates so that we can ensure we have plenty of skates available in all sizes for customers.

Thank you again for your feedback. it is very valuable to us and we do strive to give all our customers a good service. Many thanks - Silver Blades Ice Rink Gillingham