“A lesson in Royal Engineers History.”

Royal Engineers Museum
Ranked #3 of 20 things to do in Gillingham
More attraction details
Owner description: The Museum tells the story of the Corps of Royal Engineers and how they have helped the British Army live, move and fight for over 300 years. Highlights include 25 Victoria Crosses, Wellington's map of Waterloo, Chard's weapons from the Zulu War, an amazing collection of bridge laying tanks the world’s first useable guided torpedo, a huge piece of the Berlin Wall, a Harrier Jump Jet and an enormous V2 Rocket. The Royal Engineers’ story is one of courage, innovation, skill and endurance which is told through the many galleries, enabling you to follow the evolution of the Sapper from military architects and specialists in siegecraft, to the Army's innovators on everything from diving to surveying, flying to photography and transport to combat engineering. With a host of interactive exhibits, indoor and outdoor play areas, a café and gift shop, there is plenty for all the family – tickets valid for a whole year!
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The thing I most disliked was simply not having enough time to spend in this place.
What I liked.......The history is tremendous. The collection immense. I particularly liked the medal room.
The tanks outside are fantastic.

Thank SteveNorthampton.UK
"modern times"
"cafe upstairs"
"information boards"

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We needed somewhere to vist that wasn't weather dependant and decided to visit the Medway Towns. The museum is extremely informative and has lots to see all inside. The achievements set out are impressive and the displays are comprehensive. I've been to many military museums and I would recommend it. Well done.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We 2nt to this museum and I wasn't sure about going but my husband was keen.
Well, I was proved wrong as there was so much to see the medal rooms were amazing although sad in parts.
I was very glad I went as it is our local museum. I have been back again and noticed things that I hadn't seen or rememberd from the first time.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This was our first visit to the museum and we were really amazed by how much there is to see. Really good value for money at under £9 for a year's admission if you gift aid.
We were there for three hours but could have spent much longer. Will take grandson on next visit who will love it!
Really impressed that unlike so many places these days, the tea shop does not rip you off. Cup of tea and cake a £1 respectively (bargain)
Don't miss out on this museum!

See more reviews
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I visited the museum last week and was astonished by the vast range of the collection , starting from outside with the Titan bridge layer the biggest armoured vehicle in the world, how do they steer it ? and various other tanks and military vehicles, a V2 rocket and a Harrier jet which are in a large hall in the middle of the museum, with a cafe. The inside collection starts by telling the story of military engineering in the Roman period to modern times of which there are various interactivities like building model fortress walls and trying on historic uniforms etc. The displays include the first modern torpedo that sat in the water waiting for enemy warships and items from colonial and Zulu wars with the pistol and uniform used by Lieutenant Chard at Rorke's Drift and finishes with the medal room Overall a strongly recommended day out.

2  Thank John G