“It was an accident staying here, bad advice through trip advisor!”

The King Charles Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gillingham
sydney
“It was an accident staying here, bad advice through trip advisor!”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I thought we had the hotel mixed up and was in shock when we arrived couldn't wait to leave! The worst sleep the whole trip next to the holiday inn express at Heathrow! Sorry really this is just not our cup of tea at all!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
I am very sorry that you were not happy with your stay.
We are a family run three star hotel and your comments indicate that you was looking for a higher class of hotel. Perhaps if you had mentioned this on your arrival we would have been able to help you find something more suitable to your taste.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We found this to be a dirty, run-down cattle market of a hotel, which seems to specialise (unbelievably) in wedding and other celebrations and so is probably regularly busy - and noisy with it. The room was grimy and unclean, and the bedding was crumpled and badly made up. It was clear the room had received only a cursory 'clean' for some time. Attending breakfast was also unpleasant, taking place in an overfull, delapidated room offering greasy fry-ups and little else. Staff were generally friendly and helpful; but this did not extend to the receptionist asking us, on checking out, whether we enjoyed our stay - no doubt for good reason.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. Your choice of the words ‘cattle market’ indicate that you were not happy with the other guests in the hotel, purely due to the fact that they were attending a wedding reception at the hotel. We have been holding weddings here for over thirty years, and I am not sure what you are basing your assumption that we are not very good at hosting weddings on, as you have never attended a wedding here.
There is a picture of our restaurant, which was only refurbished last year on our main page, and I would like to think that guests will make up their own mind as to whether it is ‘dilapidated’.

Travellers are raving about these Gillingham hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I know there have been some mixed reviews of this hotel, but I can only tell you of what my experience was. It was very surprisingly good! My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night. My girlfriend's step-mom and Gran were holding their birthday parties in one of the many events rooms that they have at this hotel. There were about 100 people attending. Because the birthday event was located at the hotel, many of the attendees (us included) booked a room at the hotel for a package/reduced rate. As my girlfriend and I first pulled into the hotel, it did not look that appealing at all, so I was really not expecting much. The hotel REALLY needs to market and make their grounds/building much more appealing because visually, it sucks. However and fortunately, that is where the unpleasantness ended. The staff were all very accommodating and friendly, the rooms were nice with modern bathrooms (which I was not expecting), and the breakfast that was offered was quite nice and well beyond expectations. Obviously, this is not a 5 Star hotel, but it does not try to be and need not be. If you are looking for an events room, and more, then this hotel should be considered. It's worth it and I'm glad I stayed there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Unfortunately it is difficult for us to change the outside of the building due to its age and the layout of the car park. I do agree that it is a little disheartening on arrival, and we are trying to address this situation.
I am glad that you changed your mind when you entered the hotel, and that the bathrooms and the breakfast were beyond your expectations.
I hope you will visit us again if you are in the area.
Remscheid, Germany
Reviewed 13 August 2013

OK it's not the Ritz, but the latter is not what my wife and I were looking for. After driving for five or six hours from Germany and spending a further two hours on the ferry and driving another hour from Dover we look forward to relaxing in a clean and friendly hotel, before continuing our journey the next morning and the King Charles is ideal for our needs. This time we ate in the restaurant for the first time and I must say it was like everything else here excellent value at the price. The beds are first class and ensure a good night's rest and in the morning you can wake up to a hearty English breakfast served by friendly staff. We have stayed at more comfortable hotels many times, but have also paid ridiculous prices for the privilege. Pound for pound the King Charles is the best deal I know and we'll be back again soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank David T
I am glad that you were satisfied with your recent stay at the hotel. We are a family run business and although we cannot compete with the larger corporate chains of hotels on budgets and advertising, we do pride ourselves on our service, cleanliness and word of mouth recommendations.
We do try to offer value for money in both our bar and restaurant, and I am happy that you enjoyed the choices we offer.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future.
Northumberland
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We spent 3 nights here in order to visit our family. Far too expensive very close to them but with the Medway Tunnel this was not a problem at all travelling to them

Staff very welcoming indeed and could not have been more helpful. Breakfast excellent value for money including a filled baguette as I was not too hungry one morning
Rooms a little tired although spotlessly clean. Shower a bit stiff for my fingers and husband had to do the honours!

Recommended this as a place our daughters friends can stay in future - they came up and had a look to see!

Great fish too !!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
It is always nice when a guest takes the time to give praise to our staff. They really do appreciate it, and it encourages them to try even harder!
We are a family run hotel and we try to treat our staff and our guests in the same manner.
I hope you will visit us again if you are in the area.
PS: You will be happy to know our fish have just had babies!
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Clean comfortable twin room with lovely view of garden, quiet and restful. The room had a clean smell to it - non smoker. Our needs were met promptly. Breakfast had a varied menu which we rated excellent. The staff were friendly ,helpful and polite. A useful lift to the upper floors and a large free car park. We had stayed here before, about four years ago, many improvements were evident this time and we would certainly come again.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the main road are quieter.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
We have recently improved our breakfast menu and now include many local products. We include breakfast in our room rates as we do believe that it is the most important meal of the day, and we feel that it is not something that you should have to pay extra for.
It is always nice to get positive feedback when we try to make changes, and I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again.
Stavanger
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Stayed two Nights for experiencing the Status Quo and Wanted concerts at Rochester Castle. Chose this hotel because of it was pretty cheap compared to alternative accomodation in the area.
We had a very pleasant stay here. The room was spacious and well worth the rate. The staff was very friendly and made us feel welcome, especially the adorable young girl at the bar. Breakfast was excellent. It was nice to be served at table rather than the usual buffet. All in all a surprisingly good value for money experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
stephendegiorgio, Reception at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the King Charles Hotel and I hope to welcome you back in the near future. Kind Regards, Stacey Day
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gillingham
Premier Inn Chatham/Gillingham (Victory Pier) Hotel
Ship & Trades
#5 of 6 in Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Premier Inn Rochester Hotel

Been to The King Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!