“Welcoming Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gillingham
Essex, United Kingdom
“Welcoming Hotel”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The bed was comfortable and the room clean, as was the bathroom. Breakfast was good and we would recommend staying in for your evening meal. The food was superb and the service was excellent-the staff very attentive and professional. The same could be said for the staff on Reception. The decor of the bedrooms would benefit from some touching-up but this was not a problem. The TV and the bathroom facilities were modern and there was plenty of parking available.
The hotel represents good value for money and is in an excellent position for local places of interest. It was a welcoming place to stay and we would gladly do so again if in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found us good value for money.
We appreciate it is difficult for everybody in the current economic climate, and we always try to keep our rates to a minimum.
I look forward to welcoming you again if you are staying in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Hungarian first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stay was all that we could wish for with very comfortable bed and lovely clean, fresh room, bathroom was superb and looked new, tea & coffee making facilities were much appreciated so would definitely book again. Icing on the cake is the location with Historic Dockyards, Fort Amherst and Royal Engineers Museum all within easy walking distance. Staff were really efficient and helpful too. We were well pleased with our stay in all respects and found the King Charles hotel great value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul366
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
As a family run business we strive to offer value for money, and it is always nice when this is recognised.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We found the hotel welcoming. The rooms were basic, but clean and the beds were very comfortable. The food was good and plenty of it. The breakfast were also good. The staff were all very helpful. We would stay again, if we were in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Basuma
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the hotel welcoming, and it is always appreciated when a guest takes the time to praise our staff.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.
Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We chose this hotel for its location and the fact that it does not charge for guests' dogs, but our expectations were far exceeded. We feel that the hotel represents excellent value for money; our room was clean and very comfortable, all of the meals we had there were excellent and the staff were professional and friendly; nothing was too much trouble. We will be staying there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
Being a family run hotel we try to treat our guests as more than just a corporate room number. We encourage our staff to help whenever possible with all aspects of our guests stay, and beyond, and it is nice to know that this is recognised.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

the only good thing about this hotel is we could take the dogs with us and the beds were comfortable, Other than that they had no parking near the hotel for disabled as they had a wedding going on and all spaces near the hotel entrance had been taken no spaces had been left for normal guests, we had to wade through wedding guests to get to reception it took us 3/4 of an hour to wait for mini bus to move so we could book in, when we did eventually get booked in at reception we were told Sorry but they had 2 weddings going on!! (so if you are a mere guest you don't count weddings come first or that the impression we got) in the evening we decided to have a bar meal from the menu sounded nice but arrived cold and pasta meal was gooey and slimy causing my pregnant daughter to be ill with the texture of it. The food would seem to be pre-packed frozen as my daughter asked if she could have her meal with no mushrooms and was told that they were already in the sauce when it came in we spoke to the manager who assured us the it was not the food that had made her ill as he had his health and safety certificate but as we said it was the texture of cold pasta and that the chef was not using a food prob to check the food before sending it out or checking the food was hot, we did get a full refund for all three meals as none of them were edible. I had pre-booked for the following weekend but when we left I cancelled this at reception and was not asked why this would leave you to believe that I was not the first to cancel having stayed there only once. I would not stay at this hotel again or recommend it as they are more focused on their Wedding parties and functions than their normal guests.

Room Tip: The room was small for a triple room as it was slit into two with two single beds in one part and on...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jo A
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 6 September 2013

We do have disabled parking spaces next to the front doors, but unfortunately we were very busy that night and these spaces were already taken by disabled guests. You forgot to mention that we managed to get you a privately reserved parking space next to the reception doors.
I am sorry that your daughter did not like her pasta, but I can assure you that it was up to temperature when it left the kitchen. The sauces we use are freshly made each day, and there are other sauces on the menu that do not contain mushrooms.
All of our guests are treated equally, and I do not think I should apologise for being a busy hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Gillingham hotels

london
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Myself & my family stayed for two nights 30th & 31st August. We all enjoyed our stay, slept well & we found the full english breakfast fantastic. Wonderfully cooked and presented and also worth mentioning is that it is made using local produce. The sausages and bacon are excellent quality and taste. The staff are fantastic! Well presented, professional, really friendly and can not do enough for you! I found the hotel more attractive than others with its lovely courtyards, numerous fish (very unusual big fish which are very well kept!) tanks and ponds and its fabulous cacti collection! The hotel is really well placed for visiting all the local attractions. The Royal Engineers Museum is right out back! I have to admit there was some noise from weddings but not excessive or any rowdiness! At £95 pn with a lovely breakfast for a family of five I can't complain at all.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank mumofthree3
Thank you for your recent review.

As one of the few independent hotels left we always appreciate when a guest takes the time to let us know that that have enjoyed their stay.
We feel that it is very important to use local produce, and we are currently trying to source even more items for our menus that are grown locally.
I hope you will visit us again if you are in this area.
London
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Well, we had our wedding reception with the King Charles! And stayed in one of the better rooms. Here's what we thought:

1) the food they provided us with was actually terrible. It cost a lot of money and tasted like Iceland frozen food. I didn't expect this and was very disappointed. I tried not to let this ruin my big day however I wanted to warn people of this! It's very bad.
2) my guests who stayed at the hotel had negative things to say about their rooms, for example the thick dust.
3) the mattress in my room was rock hard! Not what you expect when you pay that sort of money.
4) the next morning, my mum was 1 minute late for breakfast and they wouldn't allow her to have any! Fair enough there's a cut off point but we all just thought that took the biscuit.
5) when paying £150 for a room. Wifi should be complementary!!!!
6) the hotel needs a big re-vamp. It just looks shabby and smells it too.

The staff seem quite nice, and there were good points about the hotel but I can only think negatively as the food really really let us down. I would expect compensation for having a poor service like that from any other hotel. However I can see from the replies on here that will never happen.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank B989
Thank you for your recent review.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy the food at your wedding, although I find it very strange that you have not contacted us to discuss any these points. I have looked at your function details and it seems that you only had the basic buffet package from us with free hall hire, and not a full day reception with a fully catered meal. The buffet you chose consists of items such as sausage rolls, chicken fillet bites and sausages and only costs £6.25. For this price we could not afford to make all of the items ourselves and so they are bought in frozen, although it is not from Iceland! I do not think there is anything wrong with this practice, and the fact that they are bought in is reflected in the price.

Your mother was ten minutes late for breakfast and unfortunately the kitchen had been closed. She was offered tea/coffee, juice, cereal and toast, but I believe that she refused this offer.

I am glad that you have commented that our staff are nice as that is important to us, and you also said that we have good points as well, although it is a shame that you have not listed them.

We do offer free Wi Fi in all of our public areas, but it is chargeable in the rooms.

It is a shame that none of these points were bought to our attention either on the night of your wedding, or the following day, and that this is the first time we have heard them. You state that you would of expected compensation, but how can that happen if you have not contacted us?
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gillingham
Travelodge Chatham Maritime Hotel
#5 of 6 in Chatham
The Inn on the Lake
The Inn on the Lake
#4 of 5 in Gravesend

Been to The King Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!