“excellent staff”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gillingham
London, United Kingdom
“excellent staff”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stay one night at the King Charles as we were attending a wedding reception .clean and lovely rooms . staff very helpful and friendly . food was not served after 10.30pm. . we would stay at the hotel again .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
I am glad you found our staff very helpful and friendly. We encourage our staff to extend the family atmosphere that the hotel has to all of our guest, and to make them feel as welcome as possible.
I hope to see you again when you are visiting the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Standard hotel, no frills but still performs.

The staff are a little hit and miss but the rooms are lovely.

Extremely soft bedding.

Don't let the exterior put you off.

Pet policy is a little strange. Don't stay here if you're allergic to pet hair.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review.
We do allow pets into the hotel, and have certain rooms allocated for this. It is always helpful if you notify us about any allergies before you arrive, and we can then do our utmost to accommodate them.
I am glad you found our rooms pleasing and I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.
Kent uk
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel for 1 night with my boyfriend. Hotel ok, some staff friendly than others. But the main point of my review is to tell people to not eat in the restaurant! Food frozen and cold when served. We had the fish cakes which were so disgusting I ate half of 1 (and I like my food). My boyfriend had cod for starters which can only be described as cod fingers, the waiter admitted were frozen then deep fried. My boyfriend sent his main course of turkey back and had to have another dinner cooked it was that bad! Nightmare experience please don't do it to yourself!

• Stayed October 2013
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

I was very sorry to read that you were not happy with your meal in the restaurant, but you did fail to mention that you were not charged for any of your food, and I do believe that is what you set out to achieve when you arrived.

I have no problem if a customer does not like something that has been ordered, you do not always know what an item may taste like if you are trying it for the first time, but I cannot understand how you can half eat two starters and three main courses, and then complain that they were not very nice.

I find it hard to believe that you expected to go to a restaurant where 100% of the food is freshly cooked, and nothing is frozen at all, and I think everything you did was to get a free meal.

And I do object to your boyfriends pathetic attempt to be sick and say that the food had affected him. When I explained that the food could not of made him ill within 10 minutes of eating it, you told me that he had an allergy to deep fried food. Firstly I have to ask why he didn’t check with the waiter how the food was cooked when he ordered Cod Goujons, and secondly when they arrived and were so obviously fried in batter, why did he eat half of them before deciding that he did not like them?

I am happy that you put this review on Trip Advisor, as it shows the type of people we have to deal with who are just out to con any business they can.
Ipswich, Suffolk
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We stayed at the King Charles when on a coach trip to visit gardens and castles in Kent. As the coach pulled into the car park my heart sank slightly, the white washed exterior and somewhat tired appearance dampened my spirits, however what a delight when we entered the staff were so friendly and efficient, our room was somewhat tired but very clean and had everything we needed, The food was very good and the service excellent, the staff could not have done more to make everything perfect. The hotel is undergoing refurbishment but this does not interfere with the service. If we are visiting the area again, we would definitely use this hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms a little shabby and tired but very clean.Refurbishment programme in progress.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you found our service to be excellent.
We are currently refurbishing all of our bedrooms, and I am glad that it did not interfere with your stay.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again the next time you visit Kent.
London
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My stay at this hotel was a very pleasant surprise - a Sunday night in July 2013 - one person with the choice of a king-size bed or a single in a spacious room with large bathroom, sparkling clean.
Having arrived late for breakfast, I was still made to feel welcome and was offered cereals, toast and beverage even though the staff were busy clearing the restaurant. Receptionists considerate and pleasant. Overall an enjoyable experience and I would not hesitate to re-book if the occasion arises. Interesting history, too!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review.

I am glad that you enjoyed reading the history of the hotel. It is something that we researched fully, and is always nice when it is appreciated.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again if you are visiting the area again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have stayed at the king Charles hotel on two occasions while attending five-day courses at the local university.
I was very impressed on both occasions,
I have already booked a room for when I return again in November.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review.

As a family run business we rely on word of mouth recommendations, and it is always nice to see repeat visitors.
I look forward to seeing you again in November.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

A very enjoyable break.the rooms were clean and beds comfy. The bathroom looked new.What a nice change to have your meals served to you instead of standing in queues with self service.All the staff were friendly and nothing to much trouble.We would recommend the hotel

Thank you for your recent review.

I am glad that you found us friendly and accommodating to your needs. We try to treat our guests as individual persons, rather than a room number as in some of the larger corporate hotels.
I thank you for your recommendation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gillingham
Travelodge Chatham Maritime Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gravesend
Travelodge Medway M2
Travelodge Medway M2
#2 of 2 in Rainham

Been to The King Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!