“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gillingham
Bury, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This hotel does not look fabulous from the ouside,but if you are looking for a value for money hotel this is definately the one for you,clean tidy and with everything you need to get your head down for the night and be comfortable, I use it a lot when visiting the family and I can not fault the staff in fact I can not praise them enough. nothing is too much trouble they are welcoming and proffesional and put othe hotels to shame with their customer service, I will always use this hotel when I am in the area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah G
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for your recent review.
The best recommendation we can have is always a returning guest, and we are very happy to see that you like coming back to our hotel.
It is always nice when the staff are praised, and I am glad that they make you feel welcome.
I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Hungarian first
Salobrena, Spain
Reviewed 30 January 2014

My daughter and I stayed here on a Saturday night in January - it is ideally located for those families whose children compete at the South East region trampoline centre - a five minute walk away - and who need a bed for the night before. We liked the fact that it was an old building - that added to its charm. The staff were welcoming and polite. Our room was absolutely spotless and a delight. Only grumble about the room is that the mattress was very uncomfortable, we had to sleep on top of the duvet (room 116) and was stiflingly hot even with window open. Unfortunately there were 3 functions that night so opening the window meant we couldn't sleep til nearly midnight then had to contend with slamming doors and noisy kettles boiling, toilets flushing. However - we still had a great stay - daughter so excited to be in a hotel, cheesy chips fantastic, best we've had, steak ok, staff so friendly and helpful,drinks very reasonably priced and good choice if wines from the bar. And they opened dining room early Sunday morning for us and others competing at local centre and we had a fabulous freshly cooked full English breakfast at 8am. Fun time, good value for money. Recommendations to owners - get rid of,the fish tanks - are far too many poor fish crammed into,them - maybe replace with lobsters for dinner!!!

Room Tip: Are some downstairs rooms. Ask for a room in quiet part if a function on.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Melissa B
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
I am glad that you enjoyed with your recent stay at the hotel. We are a family run business and although we cannot compete with the larger corporate chains of hotels on budgets and advertising, we do pride ourselves on our service, cleanliness and word of mouth recommendations.
We do try to offer value for money in both our bar and restaurant, and I am happy that you enjoyed the choices we offer.
I hope your daughter did well in the competition, and I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future.
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

Have been coming to this hotel for ever ten years. I got married here and I have been to numerous entertainment nights from wedding receptions to New Year's Eve and tribute nights. Every time I am met by either Debbie or Fiona who always make me feel so welcome. The rest of their staff young or old are always polite and friendly. The entertainment and the food have always been top class I would have no hesitation on recommending a night out at this hotel, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank karaoke-kate-r
Repeat business is always the best recommendation we can receive, and we hope you continue visiting us for another ten years!
Stamford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my daughter for 1 night as we were looking around Rochester Uni on their open day and we don't live local. I wasn't expecting much for the price that I paid and the reviews I had read, but it is so close to the uni I just bit the bullet and booked. Reception was welcoming and efficient , room was clean as was the bathroom, beds were comfortable. Doors need to be slammed to shut them so that would have made for a very noisy night if it had been busy in the hotel. The walls seem quite thin as I could clearly hear the whole conversation of the 2 men in the room next door at gone midnight, but eventually I fell asleep and then had a good nights sleep. Breakfast was small but nice with fast efficient service. I would stay there again if my daughter does end up going to the Uni as it is good value for money .

Stayed January 2014
1 Thank normskideb
As an independent hotel we always try to offer value for money, especially in the current economic climate, and it is always nice when that is appreciated.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the future if your daughter chooses to come to Medway.
Reviewed 10 January 2014

I was quite happy that you get what you pay for and it was quite OK for the price we paid. The meal we had was enjoyable and the beds were comfortable. I didn't much like the hair and leftover soap (not ours) on the shower wall though.

• Stayed January 2014
I am sorry that the shower didn’t seem to meet the standards I expect, and this is something I will look into, but I am glad that you enjoyed your meal and found the beds comfortable.
I hope you will visit us again if you are visiting the area.
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We stayed in a twin room for 2 nights 20-22 December, it was the first time I had ever been to Kent. The only problem with going in late December was that it was all the Christmas parties so was a little loud when we got there, was unable to hear the receptionist as there was a large amount of people in the reception area waiting to go for their meal, would be better if there was a separate area so that anyone trying to book in could do this without any problems,and it was very nice, the staff couldn't do enough to help. The beds were very comfortable and breakfast was excellent. would recommend this hotel very good value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mandy C
Unfortunately we do not have the facilities to offer a separate reception area in December for the Christmas parties, and I hope this did not affect you too much. Once they have gone through to their function room, they should not bother the hotel guests, it is only at the beginning of the night whilst they are all gathering.
I am glad you found us to be value for money, and I thank you for your recommendation.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Not the most aesthetically pleasing hotel from the outside but that masks an excellent hotel on the inside. The reception staff were polite and knowledgeable and the staff at breakfast were superb, as was the breakfast itself. My only criticism would be that the room was too hot and we had to have the window open! Got it fora steal at £35 for the night on Late Rooms including breakfast for both of us.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for your recent review.

We always try to offer value for money, especially in these difficult times. If you are visiting the area again I would recommend that you book through our own website, as that will always guarantee you the best rates.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gillingham
Travelodge Chatham Maritime Hotel
#4 of 5 in Gravesend
Travelodge Medway M2
Travelodge Medway M2
#2 of 2 in Rainham

Been to The King Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!