“Nice hotel but few let downs shame could be bril !!”

The King Charles Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gillingham
“Nice hotel but few let downs shame could be bril !!”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

What a big lovely hotel,loads parking great location on arrival,seems like a Spanish hotel staff very helpful food was very nice god choice on menus etc little,bit of road noise but not too bad don't like toilet dispensers that give one square at a time big hate of mine haha !! Mostly room acceptable but tired on decor etc and cleaners not earning there money should be cleaner in my yes than it was thus is the most important factor to get right if you want returning customers refurb would do wonders :-)

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for your review.
We are currently refurbishing all of our bedrooms, and this should be completed very soon.
I hope you will visit us again if you are in the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Hungarian first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here overnight en route to our destination. We had paid only £35 for a double room, en suite plus breakfast on a Sunday night

The hotel was in need of some TLC in places - but it was very clean and bright. The bed was comfortable and there was a cubicle with a hot and powerful shower.

Being Sunday, there was no restaurant but a good choice of food at the bar. We really enjoyed our burgers and chips - I didn't ask, but the burgers appeared to be "home made" rather than pre packed. Breakfast was substantial with a choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, juices and continental or cooked choices - and good quality.

Staff were all friendly, efficient and helpful. All in all, a pleasant stay and I don't know how they did it for the money.
Note to Hotel - This is NOT an invitation to raise your prices as we may well return!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
One of our main aims is to offer excellent value for money, and I can assure you we have no plans to raise our prices at the moment!
A lot of our food is homemade, and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I'm writing this review whilst staying over for the night on a Business meeting early tomorrow.

The room is clean and tidy, with a nice fresh smell to the bedding. I ordered lasagna for my meal in the bar.....one of the nicest meals I've had in a while, very tasty ( thank you Chef), the waiter was helpful with a nice smile.

I will be using this hotel again and will recommend to my Colleagues.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review.
I am glad you enjoyed your homemade Lasagne, and I will pass your comments onto our chef.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.
Dereham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have visited this hotel many times, and have always received a great welcome, and have found that nothing is too much trouble. Will organise a special dinner in the restaurant for that important occasion, and if things do go wrong for the visitor, everyone of the staff will do everything in their power to easy the situation and to make sure that the client is looked after in a most unassuming way but with concern and professionalism. I will continue to use this hotel for my future visits to Gillingham. Food is excellent, staff are helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms away from front of hotel are much more quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review.
It is important to us to be flexible in any situation, and this is something we can offer as an independent hotel. We do not have the fixed rules and rigidity of the larger chain hotels, and I hope this comes across to our guests.
I am glad you will continue to use our hotel, and please let us know if there is anything we can do to enhance your stays with us.
lydd kent
Reviewed 11 April 2014

great hotel always made welcome very friendly staff very clean rooms food excellent
naval reunion catered for and always good fun.
stayed here many times and always been looked after well. close proximity to chatham
historic dockyard. 10 min to Gillingham football ground.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review.
We look forward to getting to know our returning guests, as you are more than just a room number to us.
I hope you will continue to stay with us when you are in the area.
Swansea
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed there 2-3 times in the last few months. On 2 occasions, people were smoking in adjacent rooms, on the second occasion I was moved to a better room, but the room wasn't totally ready for occupancy. Not enough towels and no cups. The room was cleaned the next day, but left a big wet towel on the sink! On checkout, I wasn't asked how my stay went but went ahead and volunteered my feedback. The receptionist was polite but defensive, saying "there's nothing we can do" and maintained her stance as I argued the case (I maintained I have never experienced this before, anywhere so someone's doing it right?!). So, given that feedback, everyone can expect more of the same - yummy! The hotel overall is cheap, reasonably clean and probably fine for one night (as long as you don't mind being "kippered"). Food is average. Personally I will look for other options when staying in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry that another guest was smoking and spoilt your stay with us. We are a non-smoking hotel, and we do our best to enforce this, but sometimes other people can be very inconsiderate and do not abide by the rules.
We did find out who was smoking in the room next to you, and they are no longer welcome at the hotel.
I do hope you will consider us again if you are in the area, and I can assure you that this was an isolated incident from one very selfish guest.

Travellers are raving about these Gillingham hotels

Chatham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Used for a wedding reception and had a number of rooms booked... failed to deliver catering as per booking (gave money back for missing items but no compensation for upset caused to wedding party) and rooms had numerous issues from no soap through to remains of sanitary towel wrappings over window sill.... AVOID we wished we had gone elsewhere

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MrBlobby55
Thank you for your review.
I am sorry that your cupcakes were forgotten on your function, and as you state a full refund was given and you seemed very happy with this at the time. We did offer to provide you with some complimentary gateaux’s as a substitute, but you declined to take up our offer.
I do find it strange that none of the problems with the rooms were mentioned during your stay with us or at check out.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gillingham
Travelodge Chatham Maritime Hotel
#5 of 6 in Chatham
The Inn on the Lake
The Inn on the Lake
#4 of 5 in Gravesend

Been to The King Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!