“Great staff, clean and gluten free”

The King Charles Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gillingham
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Great staff, clean and gluten free”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here whilst attending an event at Chatham Dockyard, a few minutes drive away. All the staff we encountered both whilst booking and at the hotel were charming, polite and friendly, even lending us Sellotape. Room was clean and had everything needed, for a budget hotel this is much better than many chain competitors and also much cheaper. Great to see somewhere with enough staff to give excellent service, not two people desperately running around. Breakfast was good, with lots of choice and essentially for us they could cater for a coeliac, and made this a simple request and not a big deal. They even provided gluten free bread. Drinks at the bar were reasonable too. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and will certainly be returning.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
stephendegiorgio, Manager at The King Charles Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Thank you for your review.
It is very important to us that we offer good value for money, and it is nice to read that you experienced that.
As an independent hotel we have more flexibility to cater for special diets, and I thank you for your recommendation.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Hungarian first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed only the one night on a business trip; hotel very busy with transit and business customers. Access & (free) parking to the hotel very good, cleanliness very good especially in bedroom although the dated pine furniture had seen better days, recent bathroom but again showing signs of hard use.
Staff very attentive & polite.
The hotel had a very functional feel and this is probably down to short-stay customers.
Advertising quite a few functions at the hotel so serves local area as well.
Good night sleep on firm bed.
Breakfast reasonable and you can take it away with you in a bap which is a nice touch.
Secluded pretty garden in centre.
Room (and bar prices) reasonable. Only negative aspect is that they charge for Wi-Fi in the bedroom which is questionable these days when it’s free in the public areas
Wouldn't recommend for a romantic stay.

Room Tip: Rooms at front suffer from road noise,
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review.
As you suggest we do cater for a lot of conferences and functions, and we try to offer the same value for money here as we do in the hotel.
We also have two bridal suites with spa baths, which I can assure you are very romantic!!!
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

A very big and comfortable bedroom. A hearty breakfast. Plenty of free parking. Opposite the Royal Military Engineering Museum with lots of tanks in the grounds, and a short walk from a park containing many WW2 fortifications. Ten minute walk from Chatham Historic Dockyard, and impressive pathways along the Medway estuary.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
I am glad that you found the room big and comfortable, and I look hope you will visit us again if you are in the area.
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

My partner and I enjoyed a two night stay at this lovely hotel.
The staff were very nice.
The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice.
The bar menu was very tasty.
The room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable.
And we noticed that they allow pets.
We are already booked in again for their show, meal and stay package deal with our daughters in July.
I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you for your review.
The best review we can have is when a guest tells us that they are returning, and I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in July.
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Interesting reading others comments before we went, we found staff excellent & polite. Beds were excellent and very comfortable. Breakfast excellent and decent sausages which is always a measure of a good English breakfast. Also good staffing our 5 year old boy wanted to get his own juice (quite independent) and was sensitively assisted by one of the lovely female members of staff saved his dignity etc. My only small issue was my wife & I could have stayed for £35 but because we needed a 3 bedded room it cost us an extra £30. Still I am not complaining as besides some rubbish under the bed when I moved the beds together it was an excellent stay, a good quite night stay with a good breakfast. If needing to stay in the area again we would go back. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: A convienent location if needing a stopover with a arrestee of good beds & breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review.
As a family run hotel the children are just as important to us as any other guest, and I am always happy to read a review that shows my staff have looked after the children as well. I myself have been to many chain hotels where the children are just ignored and treated as if they were not there.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

What a big lovely hotel,loads parking great location on arrival,seems like a Spanish hotel staff very helpful food was very nice god choice on menus etc little,bit of road noise but not too bad don't like toilet dispensers that give one square at a time big hate of mine haha !! Mostly room acceptable but tired on decor etc and cleaners not earning there money should be cleaner in my yes than it was thus is the most important factor to get right if you want returning customers refurb would do wonders :-)

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review.
We are currently refurbishing all of our bedrooms, and this should be completed very soon.
I hope you will visit us again if you are in the area.

Travellers are raving about these Gillingham hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here overnight en route to our destination. We had paid only £35 for a double room, en suite plus breakfast on a Sunday night

The hotel was in need of some TLC in places - but it was very clean and bright. The bed was comfortable and there was a cubicle with a hot and powerful shower.

Being Sunday, there was no restaurant but a good choice of food at the bar. We really enjoyed our burgers and chips - I didn't ask, but the burgers appeared to be "home made" rather than pre packed. Breakfast was substantial with a choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurt, juices and continental or cooked choices - and good quality.

Staff were all friendly, efficient and helpful. All in all, a pleasant stay and I don't know how they did it for the money.
Note to Hotel - This is NOT an invitation to raise your prices as we may well return!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review.
One of our main aims is to offer excellent value for money, and I can assure you we have no plans to raise our prices at the moment!
A lot of our food is homemade, and I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gillingham
Premier Inn Chatham/Gillingham (Victory Pier) Hotel
Ship & Trades
#5 of 6 in Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
Premier Inn Rochester Hotel

Been to The King Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!