“Interesting”

Wildwood Trust
Ranked #2 of 43 things to do in Herne Bay
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to Wildwood, where you can come nose-to-nose with British Wildlife past and present. We have over 200 native animals set in 40 acres of beautiful ancient woodland. See Wolves, Bison, Deer, Owls, Foxes, Red Squirrels, Wild Boar, Lynx, Wild Horses, Badgers, Beavers and more as you make your way around the park. Let your children go wild in our amazing adventure playground with drop slide, tube slide, wild fort, tree-top towers and more!
Reviewed 4 August 2012

The fun thing with most British wildlife is it is nocturnal so ergo not terribly active during the day when us mere mortals would like to see it running about.
Even so this is a really interesting venue. On balance I'd go in either Spring or Autumn when the animals are the most likely to be active.
Aimed at children there is not a great deal for adults in that the info is all for children learning about wildlife so not much info about the breeding and reintroduction programmes that are happening.
I find it a bit odd that other reviewers mention the walk between enclosures. I'm glad they are long (ish). If they weren't what kind of tiny enclosures would these animals have??
So, quite good fun but be prepared for many of the animals to be asleep if it is a bit hot.

4  Thank Purplelally
There are newer reviews for Wildwood Trust

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Children love it here. Huge swings and a huge fort to play on, a few animals here and there. A cafe for Mums and Dads...

Reviewed 28 July 2012

The kids love it here and to be honest so do I, its very peaceful. We always see lots of animals and have seen every single one thats advertised.

We have membership and go here when ever we can or if we have nothing else much to do.

We will always keep our membership here because its great value and has lots to do.

2  Thank Canterbury84
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Must of been an off day when we went as we didnt see as manay animals as we would of liked.Its clear they have taken a lot of effort with the place,and the beehives were interesting to see as not many parks have them.Cafe reasonable food/price and not a bad day for the entrance fee.

Reviewed 26 July 2012 via mobile

We went to Wildwood with high hopes after great reviews and were left very disappointed.

We arrived to find a grown man with his face painted as a badger directing cars into the car park. A little odd. As we walked to the entrance the wind turbine sounded a lot like one of the fans was going to fly off. I certainly wouldn't have been standin under it for any length of time. Could end up being badger man's last moments under that thing. What a way to be remembered!
Anyway, entrance fee not too bad, was glad to have a money off voucher though. We went to the cafe which ended up being quite a stressful experience thanks to the slightly manic women who seemed to be in charge constantly shouting at people to move up and out the way as she was trying to serve food. A lesson in customer service wouldn't go amiss. The food is average and once again all kids seem to be offered is chips beans and the standard sausage/fish finger/chicken nugget. The cafe seemed a bit grubby too and while I realise it's a wildlife place, I'd rather not have chickens running round my feet while I'm eating.
We then moved on to the animals or lack of animals. The only things we saw were the wolves a few deer and a polecat. Everything else was probably too terrified to come out due to the screaming and shouting children and families who were there. Many of whom had the look of people out on day release. I am also unsure why squirrels need to be kept in cages to look at when surely all you'd need to do is ask people to look in the trees.
We disnt stick around for the park due to the odd people there and left after about an hour feeling a bit weird about the whole trip.
I'd also say that they should maybe make it no smoking. People walking past the enclosures with gags hanging out their mouths doesn't make it pleasant and many of them doing it while pushing their kids in buggies. Awful. I won't be returning anytime soon.

4  Thank DeliciousNessy