“No atmosphere in this pub”

The Saxon Shore - J D Wetherspoon
Ranked #88 of 137 Restaurants in Herne Bay
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“No atmosphere in this pub”
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

It's not too bad in the summer although the tables aren't cleared of food debris often enough but in the winter it's horrible. The few radiators aren't adequate to heat a pub of this size and only the top of the radiators get hot. Went in the other night for bite to eat and from the outside it looks warm and cosy because of the low lighting...don't be fooled. It was freezing inside. Ate with my coat on and couldn't wait to leave. I felt no colder outside than I had inside the pub! It's a shame because the food is good value and some of the meals are really tasty but sorry Wetherspoons, I can't relax or enjoy eating and drinking in an environment which is so cold I have to keep my coat on!

Visited December 2013

“worst pub in town”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I have visited this pub a few times over the past few years, and I have to say that each time I have been I have left with the same impression. The place smells, the surfaces are always sticky, the bar staff are INCREDIBLY rude and unwelcoming. In particular a short, stocky young blonde girl who constantly shouted across the bar, allowed people whom I assume were not staff (as they were not in a uniform, but tracksuit bottoms) to clear plates and lock doors and to come to our table as we were finishing our drinks ten minutes before closing time "Tell them over there to get out". I have never felt so unwelcome anywhere in my life.

This same night, said short bar woman had a row with another customer over the sizes of spirits. This basically was along the lines of her screaming like a fishwife and not letting the customer get a word in edge ways until he left with the threat of her 'calllinnn da police'. After he left, she laughed and complained for about ten minutes about him being 'the second person to piss her off today' and she is 'not to be messed with'. Totally unprofessional and unacceptable. Our food was substandard, what you would expect from a wetherspoons, but the atmosphere and lack of professionalism in the bar staff was absolutely appalling. I will NEVER visit this pub again.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank cameo89
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
“Herne Bay Wetherspoons the poor relation”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My partner and I visit a great deal of Wetherspoons pubs all around the country where we feel we get good value for money. We visited our local one in Herne Bay today, what a dump !! why does Herne Bay have to be the poor relation, surely the residents and visitors to the town deserve better. The decor is tired and grubby looking , the floor was dirty and most of the seats on the chairs were ripped. We visit the Peter Cushing in Whitstable quite often and what a contrast, I have previously submitted a review on that one, I know that one is fairly new but that is no excuse for the scruffy state of the Herne Bay branch which reminded us of an over-sized "greasy spoon" The food was just about average although my steak was pretty inedible, in fact you could have soled your boots with it !! I don't think we will be returning !!

• Visited November 2013
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Nice breakfast”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Had a family breakfast here and I'd say it is on a par with other Wetherspoons we've visited - and handy for the seafront - we were lucky and got a parking space right out front.

• Visited October 2013
Kent
“Go with low expectations.”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Wetherspoons seem to vary from the family friendly bland but safe enough place to grab a pint and something to eat for not very much to scary hang outs for drunk and aggressive hardened drinkers. I'd hoped this was the former when I agreed to meet friends for lunch.

The place is a little run down, and not the cleanest Wetherspoons I've been in, but I was prepared to overlook that. The bar was understaffed so I wasn't overly surprised that the service wasn't that friendly. There was an extensive beer selection, and to be fair the beer was reasonably well kept. The rather long wait for food did give us time to fully appreciate the growing hostile atmosphere from one group of customers at the front of the pub who had presumably been there since opening time by the state they were in (this was around 1.30 in the afternoon). Food when it arrived was edible, but nothing special.

I won't be going back.