“Cheap as Chips - fine if you are not fussy !”

The Saxon Shore - J D Wetherspoon
Ranked #97 of 141 Restaurants in Herne Bay
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I have been here several times - in the daytime for tea/coffee with friends/our children, lunch with friends/children and also meal/drinks in the evening with friends. It is absolutely fine here as you don't expect luxury from a Wetherspoons - it is basic food at a cheap price and people going here should just be happy with that really. If you want fancy dining or have high standards or expoectations - don't go here - simple as that! It seems pointless to write a negative review because surely people should know by now what to expect from a Wetherspoons?? Yes, it is a bit dark in here and maybe could do with a revamp slightly but it is not run down or filthy. Stop being so pompous and just enjoy it for what it is - cheap as chips! :)

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We went in because it was convenient, just across the road in fact. Sunday roast was £7.09 including a £2 drink. The warning bells should have sounded then but hey, it's Wetherspoons and they must have a rigorous quality control system.

We got everything to be expected from a £5.09 Sunday roast. I don't blame the company. I blame myself for being gullible. A poor meal can never be good value for money, no matter how cheap.

It was my first visit to a non-airport Wetherspoons for years. I was amazed how far downmarket the company has gone. If this place meets their corporate standards, as it must I guess, then the company must have a very low target for their position in the marketplace. Beneath a 'greasy spoon caff'' and above a burger van I reckon.

Reviewed 4 January 2014

It's not too bad in the summer although the tables aren't cleared of food debris often enough but in the winter it's horrible. The few radiators aren't adequate to heat a pub of this size and only the top of the radiators get hot. Went in the other night for bite to eat and from the outside it looks warm and cosy because of the low lighting...don't be fooled. It was freezing inside. Ate with my coat on and couldn't wait to leave. I felt no colder outside than I had inside the pub! It's a shame because the food is good value and some of the meals are really tasty but sorry Wetherspoons, I can't relax or enjoy eating and drinking in an environment which is so cold I have to keep my coat on!

Reviewed 27 November 2013

I have visited this pub a few times over the past few years, and I have to say that each time I have been I have left with the same impression. The place smells, the surfaces are always sticky, the bar staff are INCREDIBLY rude and unwelcoming. In particular a short, stocky young blonde girl who constantly shouted across the bar, allowed people whom I assume were not staff (as they were not in a uniform, but tracksuit bottoms) to clear plates and lock doors and to come to our table as we were finishing our drinks ten minutes before closing time "Tell them over there to get out". I have never felt so unwelcome anywhere in my life.

This same night, said short bar woman had a row with another customer over the sizes of spirits. This basically was along the lines of her screaming like a fishwife and not letting the customer get a word in edge ways until he left with the threat of her 'calllinnn da police'. After he left, she laughed and complained for about ten minutes about him being 'the second person to piss her off today' and she is 'not to be messed with'. Totally unprofessional and unacceptable. Our food was substandard, what you would expect from a wetherspoons, but the atmosphere and lack of professionalism in the bar staff was absolutely appalling. I will NEVER visit this pub again.

3  Thank cameo89
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My partner and I visit a great deal of Wetherspoons pubs all around the country where we feel we get good value for money. We visited our local one in Herne Bay today, what a dump !! why does Herne Bay have to be the poor relation, surely the residents and visitors to the town deserve better. The decor is tired and grubby looking , the floor was dirty and most of the seats on the chairs were ripped. We visit the Peter Cushing in Whitstable quite often and what a contrast, I have previously submitted a review on that one, I know that one is fairly new but that is no excuse for the scruffy state of the Herne Bay branch which reminded us of an over-sized "greasy spoon" The food was just about average although my steak was pretty inedible, in fact you could have soled your boots with it !! I don't think we will be returning !!

Been to The Saxon Shore - J D Wetherspoon? Share your experiences!