“Not what I expected”

Ranked #3 of 139 Restaurants in Herne Bay
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I need to be careful because it would be very easy to sound supercilious (yes I had to look it up too) when the problem was really my expectations, not their delivery. From other reviews, I was expecting something closer to a fine dining experience, possibly even somewhere where we could take friends who really enjoy their food (and wine). This is not that sort of place. I would call it an English Diner with a very traditional "meat and two veg" or "something with chips" menu. The vegetables rather too boiled and the pie was suffering from soggy bottom. My companion described it as; "like lunch used to be a grandma's". The service was excellent and the place was very busy with what seemed to be mainly a loyal following of regulars, no doubt helped by very reasonable prices. We had booked and that proved to be necessary. If you want a quick, basic but good value meal with good service, you won't be disappointed.

2  Thank Stanley K

Reviewed 5 June 2014

First time at this restaurant which we have been promising to visit since moving to Herne Bay several years ago. I had a roast beef dinner and my wife beef pie both with a nice selection of veg.
Good portions and nicely cooked, hot and tasty. We will be returning and thoroughly reccommed this restaurant.

1  Thank RSC&JCC
RichardBartlett65, Owner at Mortimers Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you very much for your positive comments on our food and service.We do strive to provide freshly cooked food and provide a friendly but professional service.We're glad you ventured out and tried us, and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I have been to this restaurant several times and each time the staff have been very friendly and helpful and the food has been fantastic.. Highly recommended!!

1  Thank Gillian B
RichardBartlett65, Owner at Mortimers Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for your comments, we do aim to provide a homely , family atmosphere with good home cooked fresh food.
We're glad you enjoyed your meal with us and look foreward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Mortimers is exactly what you want from a friendly local restaurant,and a greta place to visit if you are searching the junk and antique shops of Herne Bay.
Caring kind service, good food, and good value. It reminds me a bit of a Victoria Wood sketch. and is a bit "Cake or Pastry Madam" as the decor is the classic 50/60's original but that is a big plus point... The staff work really hard and were kind to my mum, the toastie and soup we had were great..the coffee for some reason was watery..though they have real beans.. so maybe get a barista in to give you some tips ?. .but 5 Stars Thankyou

1  Thank dornfordyates
RichardBartlett65, Owner at Mortimers Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank you for your kind comments, We aim to provide a warm & friendly homely experience from our family restaurant.Comments such as yours convince us that we are on the right track.
Hope you see you and your mother again very soon.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Whenever I travel to Herne Bay I always ensure that I have at least one visit to Mortimers for Breakfast and on one occasion for Lunch. The food is all home cooked and whether its a good English Breakfast or a roast dinner you will not be disappointed. Add to that the decor, Ambiance, and friendly staff and you have the perfect place to stop and eat.

1  Thank Malcolm110266

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback.It's always a pleasure to recieve such positive comments about the food, ambiance and service that we provide.We look forward to seeing you again next time you're in Herne Bay.