“I remember you Anne”

Hever Castle & Gardens
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Hever
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hever Castle was the childhood home of Anne Boleyn, the intriguing second wife of Henry VIII and mother of Elizabeth I. The castle is a romantic double moated 13th-century castle which houses historic 16th-century portraits, paintings, furniture, tapestries and treasures. Comprehensive information on the history of Hever Castle can be found in the guide book and audio tours are available from the Hever Shop, Visitor Centre or castle entrance. Visitors can explore the magnificent gardens for all seasons which include Italian, Rose and Tudor gardens, topiary, yew maze and splashing water maze, or take a stroll around the informal areas of Sunday Walk and Anne Boleyn's Walk. Hever hosts a number of special events throughout the season including gardening events with the head gardener and his team. Family fun includes jousting tournaments each summer, one of our most popular events.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Stand out moments for me:

*Being in Anne’s bedroom, I could imagine her looking out the window. I did too!

*The love letters from Henry

*The Tudor paintings

*The room they said was Henry’s

Hair standing up on my arms moments:

*Her book of Hours, *The words: Remember me

*The gallery – there is a long gallery which has full life-size figures of Henry and the six wives. The ladies are all different. Each has their own manner of dress, hair, jewelry and expression. I was really taken by this room but seeing Henry VIII and Anne standing alone together it gave me cold chills right up my spine I tell you. History coming alive!

There a room filled with instruments of torture. YIKES! Creepy stuff in there!

The gounds here are very impressive here. There is much to see and do. We never got to complete all of it but we did see tents, heard merry music, saw some of the stunning gardens, archery lessons, fountains and swans, swans-to-be as well. There were four eggs in the nest and the attendant told me in about two-weeks they will hatch. I believe we were off to find the garden maze and instead found a splashing water maze. Like nice adults we stand there a bit and watch the kids skipping along the rocks and getting wet laughing like crazy. Some rocks have triggers on them and you will get wet! The object is to get to the center without getting wet. So fun !!! Oh and once you leave the Hever Castle lot, guess what's right there, a pub called the Henry VIII Inn.

2  Thank j3dnight

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We visited with our daughter and grand-daughter and we were so impressed we became Season Ticket holders!
This place has everything - a wonderful small stately home, the lake,extensive grounds,cafes,archery and the list goes on and on.
The house is full of history old & modern, there is a collection of items used for torture - very macabre but wonderfully eccentric.
The gardens are lovely and well worth meandering through for an afternoon - dont forget to take a picnic there are plenty of areas to settle down without being disturbed or if you prefer there are cafes providing snacks or more substantial meals.
All in all this is a terrific way to spend a relaxing day.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We had a great trip to Hever with our two young children. There was a jousting tournament which was good fun, a lovely adventure playground with slides and a maze, and a water maze which was perfect as it was a hot day. There are a lot of formal gardens which are not ideal for kids as you cannot go on the grass which is a shame. All in all though, a great day out!

Reviewed 13 August 2012

I visit a lot as I am devout Anne Boleyn fan and I end up falling in love with Hever more each year. It still makes you feel like you're in their home. It's a great price for the castle and gardens. The only part of your day that is expensive is the cafe and also if you're like me, easily sucked in by the gift shop then bring some extra money. There's always great little gifts which I can't buy anywhere else. Sadly, I always feel many forget about St.Peter's Chruch which is just next door which is worth a look just to see Thomas Boleyn's grave. I can not possibly praise Hever enough.

1  Thank StephMvL
Reviewed 11 August 2012

This was our second visit to Hever Castle to watch the jousting which was fantastic. The whole trip to Hever was a success, plenty of parking, good restaurants and good facilities if you wish to bring a picnic. Highly recommended, especially when the jousting tournament is being held.