“Revamped Hythe”
Review of Hythe Imperial

Hythe Imperial
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hythe
Reviewed 2 January 2014

A massive improvement on the Hythe Imperial under new management. Friendly staff, a fresh look and a great chef. We saw in the New Year and had a great time in a great atmospher. Would recommend the Hythe Imperial to anyone without doubt but particularly if you have stayed in the past.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Kaushik G, Operations Manager at Hythe Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us on tripadvisor about your recent stay at Mercure Hythe Imperial Hotel & Spa. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend Hythe Imperial to others.

I wish to welcome you back to Hythe Imperial during your next visit to Hythe.

Kaushik guha Majumder

Write a ReviewReviews (1,909)

Reviewed 1 January 2014

This has been my third and indeed best New Year experience to date at this much improved hotel. Staff were efficient and courteous and the food was wonderful. A good ambiance was aided by the stylish new décor and it's a great venue for live music. It attracts a good crowd and my new year's resolution is to spend more time here! I look forward to seeing further improvements as they unfold. Well done to all involved, I for one shall be back to enjoy Sunday lunch soon.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

we had booked the Mecure Imperial Hotel on a whim at the last minute as a pst xmas get away, not expecting t much as had previoucly not heard gresat tihngas about Mecure hotels I am very pleased I can say I was very pleasantly surprised. The beach front location was perfect, the building it self very grand, and the staff extremely friendly and helpful/ The highlight of the stay was the exceptional food/ We had only panned to dine there on one of our nights but after the first night we knew we would not be going anywhere else. The flavours in the food were so complimentary and so delicious it was a gastronomical feast, and it was all prepared to perfection. I could only compare it to a meal at Kaspers at the Savoy London. We were advised it was a new chef, so we hope he continues there. We visited form London and would happily drive down just to enjoy the food again. The one flaw I can say is that for a 4* hotel the fixtures and decore is very worn and dated. it is the only thing letting this hotel down. A renovation would really help the the appearance of the hotel catch up with all the other great features.

Room Tip: A sea-view room is well worth an upgrade due to close proximity of the hotel to the seafront.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Kaushik G, Operations Manager at Hythe Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 1 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to put your review on tripadvisor about your recent stay at Mercure Hythe Imperial Hotel & Spa. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and noticed the friendly, helpful staff and our quality restaurant and food.

We have an aggrressive refurbishment plan which has already started in the lobby, bar and restaurant area. Over next 12 months all the rooms and floor areas will be refurbished.

I assure you that during your next visit, you will find this hotel more comfortable and has more to offer.

I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year and will be looking forward to welcome you at Mercure Hythe Imperial Hotel & Spa during your next visit to Hythe.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

My partner and I enjoyed the three-night Christmas package at the Mercure Hythe Imperial hotel. From the moment we arrived on Christmas Eve to our departure after breakfast on the 27th December the, mostly very young, staff were all so welcoming and keen to please. They seemed without exception to enjoy providing an excellent service.

The public rooms on the ground floor have been refurbished recently and were most comfortable. While the bedroom landings in particular are badly in need of similar redecoration, our suite (with the jacuzzi in the enormous bathroom) was warm and comfortable. A friend also stayed in a family room on the fourth floor which appeared to have also been updated recently and the room was lovely. We had soft fluffy towels, bath robes and slippers. There was a welcoming Christmas card from the management and staff, and a little present for each of us. I had paid for a Christmas tree to be put in the room and this was provided with a box of brand new decorations for us to decorate as we desired.

The food, of which there was plenty, was excellent throughout our stay. The Christmas lunch was a particular triumph for the kitchen and restaurant staff, with everything being served hot and to time. The buffet on Christmas night, well I only wished I'd got room after the lunch to do it justice. The breakfasts were also very good. The Christmas Eve and Boxing Night gala dinners were also truly excellent - well done to all concerned.

Other highlights included the 90 minute carol concert given by the Salvation Army band on Christmas Eve, and the Christmas Eve pre-dinner drinks reception with canapés. What a treat it was to swim and use the spa over the Christmas break too.

If there were some slight annoyances they would be as follows: the EU rag flying right outside of my window; the slightly slow bar service and the truly monotonous piano-playing on Boxing night (I am musically literate and struggled to determine a recognisable tune).

We will be visiting this hotel again soon and often, and are already thinking about Christmas 2014. Thanks to everybody and in particular Jemma, Tony, Josh and (for eye-candy) the gorgeous Roman! We wish them and the hotel a Happy New Year and continued success for the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bearz1066
Kaushik G, Operations Manager at Hythe Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to put the review on tripadvisor about your recent stay with us at Mercure Hythe Imperial Hotel & Spa. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us completely.

I am glad that you have noticed the helpful and friendly staff, and loved the redecoration of the public area on ground floor. The other floors are going to be refurbished over next 12 months and I assure you that you will find this hotel has more to offer during your next visit.

I wish you a very Happy New Year ahead and will look forward to welcome you back again at Hythe Imperial in near future.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Just spent 5 days over Christmas as part of a holiday package. The hotel has a brilliant location on the seafront and whilst it has a little faded glory of its Victorian times...it is clean and comfortable. The food was excellent and all the staff were attentive and helpful - even when they were exhausted after a very long Christmas Day.
Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing us regarding your recent stay at Mercure Hythe Imperial Hotel & Spa. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year ahead and will look forward to welcome you back at Hythe Imperial during your next visit to South coast.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

we have stayed at the Imperial before, we find that everything suffers a bit before Christmas due to lots of firms parties etc. The hotel was very busy but we ate separately from the parties which was good, the food was of a good standard, our room was large with a separate shower but lacked some maintenance.
Overall we had a good weekend and would recommend to others.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at Mercure Hythe Imperial Hotel & Spa. I am delighted to know that you have stayed with us before and decided again to visit us this time. I am glad that you have enjoyed your stay.

Regarding the room maintenance, we have plan for aggressive refurbishment which has already started and will be finished over next 12 months.

I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year ahead and will look forward to welcome you back to Mercure Hythe Imperial again when you visit Hythe next time.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

I've just spent a couple of nights here with my work. This is a beautiful building, but the rooms desperately need renovating.

So why have I given it four stars ?? Well despite what I've said about the rooms they were big and reasonably comfortable. I woke up every morning to a stunning sea view.
The staff were exceptional. Everyone from the reception staff, bar staff and gym staff were so helpful and pleasant.
The facilities were great. It has fantastic leisure facilities, including a well equipped gym, swimming pool, sauna and steam room - all of which were lovely and clean.
The breakfast was lovely. Great choice and you could tell they were using good quality ingredients.
We had a Christmas dinner menu both nights. I agree with some of the previous reviewers that the deserts were disappointing, but the crab starter was lovely - so much so that I had it both nights and the mains were also very pleasant.

The rooms really do let down what could be a stunning hotel. So tired and dated. Knackered old furniture and a cheap "leisure centre" style bathrooms. Even the "new" double glazing rattled and had cold air pouring in. I appreciate the cost of renovating a building of this size would be astronomical, but the results really could be exceptional. I only hope the owners see its potential and give it the investment it so desperately needs before the staff become demoralised with complaints.

Would I go again ?? Yes, absolutely - but the rooms would drag down the price I was willing to pay considerably. We'll done to the people who work there. You do a grand job and should be proud of yourselves.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us on tripadvisor about your recent stay at Mercure Hythe Imperial Hotel & Spa. I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and would return to Hythe Imperial in future. We have an aggressive refurbishment plan and all the rooms and public area will be refurbished over next 12 months. I assure you after complete revamp, you will find this hotel more comfortable and relaxing.

I wish to welcome you back to Hythe Imperial during your next visit to Hythe.

Kaushik guha Majumder

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hythe
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel
Sandgate Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sandgate
23 mi away
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa

Been to Hythe Imperial? Share your experiences!