“Charming Town nice Hotel”
Review of Hythe Imperial

Hythe Imperial
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hythe
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We stayed for one night for our anniversary and were not disappointed . The Hotel is perhaps a little tired but we only paid £50.00 for B&B and was excellent value for money.We had a sea view on the Fourth floor the room was spacious decor was OK but the bathroom let it down a bit. Everything was very clean and the Staff friendly & helpful . We did not use the Spa or pool as the weather was too nice to be inside. Hythe is a charming little town with no tatty shops cafes or Pubs on the Prom. The town is a short walk from the Hotel and has several Pubs & Restaurants.The breakfast in the morning was good and you could choose from cook to order , buffet ,fruit ,cereal , cold meats & pastries The staff in the morning were very attentive and there was no shortage of them.

Room Tip: We stayed if Room 410 with a good view of the sea it was fairly quiet. The only down side you could...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cliveoHerts

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights for a work event. Food was lovely breakfast and both dinners, although the tea provided in the breaks was dreadful - so weak! Communal rooms were comfortable - although still smelling of paint. (Not sure about the overwhelming pinkness in the ladies 'powder room'). Bedroom was clean and spacious but the mattress was far too soft for my liking. Broadband so slow I gave up trying. The staff were mostly friendly but special mention must go to Beth (events management?) who was friendly, helpful, energetic and basically brilliant!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I went here at the weekend with my Mum and another 2 friends. There was a mix up when we arrived which meant only 1 room had been reserved for us - even though I had pre-booked and paid for 2 rooms. Luckily there was another room available but it was of a completely different standard of quality which, given I was charged the same price for each room, was unacceptable. After complaining we were given a complimentary bottle of champagne. The receptionist was extremely unfriendly upon arrival and when I enquired about spa treatments she barked at me "Its fully booked all weekend" without looking up. This was a shame considering we had come here purely to relax in the spa but that's my own fault for not prebooking treatments. The spa area was ok -very busy and loads of kids in the pool. The rooms were shabby - holes in the blinds and carpets but apparently they are refurbing soon. We did spend a few hours in the bar after returning from a meal out in Hythe and there was one member of staff who was absolutely lovely and this was the most enjoyable part of the stay. Definitely not the relaxing spa break I was hoping for

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Kaushik G, Operations Manager at Hythe Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us about your recent stay at Hythe Imperial. I am very disappointed to know that your stay wasn't satisfactory this time with us due to some unfortunate incidents.

You have mentioned about the booking of two rooms, which you booked through Spabreak.com and you were correct as you had the confirmation with you for two rooms, but my receptionist also showed you upon arrival the confirmation we have from Spabreak.com which states 1 room for double occupancy. It was a communication error from spabreak about your amendmended booking of second room which we never received. Thankfully we had a room left which we were able to offer you then and there. I guess my receptionist did well on that situation even it wasn't hotel's fault. The second room in your opinion was inferior, but they are actualy same category. All our rooms differ in terms of decor, sizes and I confirm that you have been given same type of rooms as for twin room, we have only one category, which is standard twins.

Secondly, you have been offered complimentory dinner for all four of you just to make you comfortable, which you have declined, then my Reception Manager decided to give you a complimentory sparkling wine which you accepted to have in the pool area. After hearing the whole incident from my Reception Manager, I decided not to send any cheap sparkling, rather to send you a bottle of Laurent Perrier Champagne. I think from the hotel management side, we have showed a great gesture and tried our best to lift up your mood.

Thirdly, you have complained about not getting any Spa treatment. Just to inform you that we are a leisure and spa hotel and our spa is very busy sometimes, so that need to be booked beforehand. Your room booking was on B&B and there was no request of spa treatment. But I hope you understand that if we had any slots available that day, we could have fit you in as we did in case of your room.

I am glad to hear about the bar team member service was lovely and that part you have really enjoyed. I wish to welcome you again at Hythe Imperial and believe next time you will enjoy it completely.

Kaushik Guha Majumder

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Decided to go back to the Imperial, last minute, 1st day of Spring Trip. Haven't been back to Hotel since August due to poor weather, we normally go 4/5 times a year for short breaks and our annual summer holiday for the last three years.
The hotel is undergoing major refurbishment, and the the bar and restaurant look stunning. We sneaked a peak at the ballroom already dressed for its first wedding since the refurb., and it was breathtaking. I was concerned the hotel would lose some of its charm and individuality, but the developers haven't turned it into a bland run of the mill chain hotel, thankfully.
I always think of the Imperial as a charming old lady by the sea, and she has retained her charm.

The staff seem really proud of the hotel, and refurb., keen to show me all the changes, and offer me lots of information about the new Chef on board. They are clearly very excited.
Harriett was on hand at reception helping with a wedding party . The reception girls really do meet you with a smile and have lots of local info on local places of interest for kids and adults alike.

The room was delightful, and so was our lunch. After a walk on the beach, a game of tennis we took a dip in the pool. I can honestly say that after coming to the hotel for 25years, as a couple and then with the family and extended family, each time its great. We are greeted warmly and nothing is too much trouble. Children are made very welcome, and there is plenty for them to do. Swimming, cycling, tennis, and plenty of fresh air, and all free!

The hotel is going from strength to strength, and the new look reception rooms and bar and dining room look stunning along with great food, its a winning combination.
I am looking forward to my Easter break, already. Well Done ...

Room Tip: Sea view will keep you gazing for hours! Great food in the restaurant.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely review on tripadvisor about your recent stay at Hythe Imperial. I am delighted to hear that your stay was satisfactory and you will be back to us in Easter.

I have passed your comments to all staff which I am sure will encourage them to do better everytime.

I will be looking forward to welcome you back at Hythe Imperial during Easter.

Kaushik guha Majumder

Reviewed 27 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here on Valentine's Day. We enjoyed a quick dip in the pool but didn't stay long. It was somewhat spoilt by the woman wondering around with a naked child in the spa area that clearly states no under 16s. There isn't a lifeguard there so she wasn't told to stop. Very bizarre behaviour but not the fault of the hotel. We had afternoon tea in the bar afterwards which was lovely and very reasonably priced. We later had dinner in the restuarant. The food was delicious and the atmosphere very pleasant. There was a also live singer who was a great entertainer. Sleep quality was marred by the people above us who sounded like they were moving furniture around at 2am. It was also very very hot in our room. Breakfast the next morning was varied and again delicious. The food here is excellent value for money. I don't want to mention that the rooms need refurbishing because it is clear that refurbishment is taking place. The communal areas are very well presented. Look out for the "tray charge" on the bill. I bought a bottle of water from the bar to take up after dinner for £1.95 and noticed on my bill when checking out that I was expected to pay another £3 on top for the luxury of drinking it in my room! I can understand when a TRAY of drinks is taken up and needs collecting but seriously? A bottle of water?

We will definitely return in the future (perhaps when the weather is better!).

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor about your recent experience at Hythe Imperial. I am glad to know most of your stay was satisfactory.

I have noted down your comments on bar bill and underage children in pool area and will take immediate measure on that. I apologise for the inconvenience.

I wish to welcome you back to Mercure Hythe Imperial Hotel & Spa during your next visit to South coast.

Kaushik Guha Majumder

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I was in charge of book a Hen weekend for a group of 8 of us, Harriett from reception from the start to the end has been amazing and she has showed such patience with many changes of room numbers, treatments etc.. we were well looked after from beginning to the end, the food and service in the Restaurant was top notch and very good quality. We were assisted with choosing wine and there was a lovely waitress sorry didn't take her name ( blonde Hair) who really made us feel welcome and also provided excellent service.

Rooms:
Bride to be had a lovely sea view which was very welcome, we all had nice rooms I would agree with other reviews these do need updating but was very clean and had a good night sleep and was nice and quiet.

Spa;
This was lovely excellent level of service and we all agreed we had lovely massages and of a good standard, the hot stone area was really nice to relax and read some magazines would highly recommend this for chilling.

Pool
This was also clean and we all spent time in the Jacuzzi and had enough beds around this area for us all to sit round. The changing rooms were quite small and we had to do this in two groups as just not enough room but was sufficient.

The downstairs Bar area looked modern and fresh but we did not get the opportunity to have a drink here .

Overall for the price we paid and the level of service we received and in particular Harriett who I can highly recommend for assisting you in any of your plans for large groups as she was always professional and so accommodating it was so refreshing to receive such great service!
Would recommend this to others.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely review on tripadvisor about your recent stay with us at Hythe Imperial. I am delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay completely.

I very much appreciate your comment on Harriet and I assure you that the comment will be passed to her which I am sure will encourage her to keep up the good work.

I wish to welcome you back to Hythe Imperial again during your next visit to Hythe.

Kaushhik Guha Majumder

Reviewed 23 February 2014

I stayed for three nights whilst visiting a family member who lives locally.

On arrival the receptionist was friendly and helpful; we had booked two rooms and the receptionist noticed that we had been allocated rooms on different floors and offered to switch them so that they were closer together. We were given rooms on the fourth floor; the only disadvantage of this was it meant us taking the lift, which is slow and can only accommodate a few people at once, so struggles at busy times. The door also has a tendency to close on you if you take too long to enter the lift and only stops once it's hit you! I generally used the stairs after the first day!

The rooms themselves were fine, a perfectly reasonable size, though a bit dated. There were some minor maintenance issues; nothing serious but they did let the otherwise good rooms down a bit. I'm not sure whether the rooms we were allocated were "renovated" rooms or not; I presume not. With some minor renovation I'm sure they will be of very good quality.

One thing that did disappoint me was the free wi-fi. The connection was slow and unstable, which very much limited how much we were able to use it. We hadn't booked the hotel specifically for the wi-fi, but it is a bit disappointing when something is promised and then doesn't work very well.

We ate in the "Coast" restaurant the first night and in the bar on the other nights. Both were fine; the restaurant did get our bill wrong and overcharged us by £15, though apologised and put it right once we pointed it out. The buffet-style breakfast was good, though the hot food tended to run out and we were left waiting around as the staff rushed off to refill it.

We booked the hotel through a daily deals site and given the price we paid we thought the hotel to be very good value. I would probably think twice before booking at the standard room rates, at least until renovations are finished, but I would certainly stay again if I could get a similar deal.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TomPhilUK

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time to review us on tripadvisor about your recent stay. I am delighted to know that your stay was satisfactory.

We are going through an aggressive refurbishment and next time you visit us, you will find this hotel has more to offer.

Kaushik guha Majumder

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hythe
Stade Court Hotel
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
Port Lympne Hotel
Port Lympne Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lympne

Been to Hythe Imperial? Share your experiences!