“Not 4 star”
Review of Hythe Imperial

Hythe Imperial
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hythe
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Me and my husband booked a one night break including dinner and breakfast and a spa treatment each.

I'll start with the good points as there weren't many! The hotel staff are very nice and friendly, made us feel welcome. The front reception area has been renovated and looks very good. Breakfast was amazing! A big selection of Continental and English breakfasts. We had booked a 25 minute spa treatment each (as part of our package) which very good - I would definitely recommend the spa and the gym facilities were good also.

Now on to the bad! We had requested a sea view room (which we got - views are stunning) and after having read the reviews on trip advisor requested a refurbished room also (which we didn't get) the rooms are NOT 4 star material - flaking paint, dirty bathroom, shabby carpets, very very hot in the rooms and extremely small tv just to list a few points! Dinner menu was extremely limited with very slow service, we felt forgotten about most of the meal. Food was not up to a 4 star standard. I had the lamb kofta which I requested to be well done and was told rather rudely that it is always well done, when it came out it was over cooked on the outside and pink on the inside (I can't eat pink meat) but as the service was so slow I decided it wasn't worth saying anything or else I'd be waiting all night!

The swimming and jacuzzi area were very dirty, the cream tiles around the jacuzzi were actually turning black! And the steam room had hair on the floor - very disappointing. Changing rooms were also dirty with flaking paint everywhere.

Overall I was disappointed and think the hotel should not be sold as a 4 star hotel at all.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Natasha T
Kaushik G, Operations Manager at Hythe Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at Mercure Hythe Imperial Hotel and spa. I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We are presently working on the front side of the building and after completion of the site, we will be revamping the rooms. I assure you that all the rooms will be revamped over next 12 months.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Hythe Imperial and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Kaushik Guha Majumder

Write a ReviewReviews (1,909)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Looked forward to an overnight stay but was disappointed. At £95 each for bed and breakfast, was immediately faced with very tired looking bedroom that needs a redecoration. Couldn't get the WiFi to work. Decided to have a sandwich to be told they were out of Ham. Tried to get in for dinner but was faced with a 2 hour wait because they had a coachload in. All in all, not an experience I want to repeat.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Hythe Imperial, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Had a short break with my Wife in May and what a pleasant stay we had. Nice clean room, good views over the sea, helpful staff and lovely food in the restaurant where both Mark and Josh looked after us very well indeed. We shall certainly go back later this year, not least to sample the excellent breakfast on offer. Well done guys !

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RONNIE690

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Hythe Imperial. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team and congratulate personally two teambers you have mentioned. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

All I can say is the jacuzzi suite is absolutely amazing!! We only stayed for one night but if we could of, we'd of stayed longer! It was beautiful! I would recommend it to anyone and everyone! My other half booked it for my birthday and everyone was so nice and friendly. We ate in the restaurant at night which again was amazing and nothing is too much trouble for them! Then had breakfast in bed in the morning. By far the best hotel I've ever been to and had the pleasure to stay in. Thank you to all the staff who made it amazing!! Will definitely be coming back and definitely to the jacuzzi suite!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Kaushik guha Majumder

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Good in the public areas, less so in the room. (306), which was Clean but in need of a refresh. Excellent view across the bay. Brilliant Breakfast. Didn't use the spa facilities but appeared to be in good order. Overall I would recommend this Hotel and hope that you get a refurbished room. I have suggested this hotel as a possible venue for my Daughters wedding on the strength of the obvious work being done to improve the Hotel at present.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for suggesting this hotel as possible venue for your daughter's wedding.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Last weekend I stayed at the Hythe Imperial along with 14 friends and family members for my hen weekend. It took quite a bit of organising and I made several phone calls, exchanged many emails and had to cancel a couple of rooms. Each time I called, the staff member was helpful and friendly. We arrived at various intervals during the day and we were each booked in for a spa treatment. Many of the rooms were available earlier than the advertised 2 pm check-in, mine wasn't but I was able to leave my luggage at reception and have some lunch. The weekend was a great success, everyone enjoyed their stay, the rooms were comfortable and dinner delicious. Plenty of choice and as much as you could eat for breakfast too. Lovely spa treatments and use of the very nice pool and jacuzzi. Some even used the gym. All the staff we met were friendly and helpful and it was extremely good value for money. Would definitely stay there again. I hope the refurbishment will not take away some of the individual charm of the rooms. Also loved the ladies powder room near the restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alison H

Dear guest,

Kaushik guha Majumder

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hythe
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel
Sandgate Hotel
#1 of 1 in Sandgate
23 mi away
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa

Been to Hythe Imperial? Share your experiences!