“Nice Experience”
Review of Hythe Imperial

Hythe Imperial
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hythe
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed at the Imperial Hotel during a short stay in Kent.

The hotel is very nice with renovated lobby, bar and restaurant.
Rooms are quiet old and need to be refurbished but may be charming if you like to live the atmosphere of the beginning of the 20th century.

Staff were polite and efficient. Thanks to Ms. Kat who performed our check-out. She was very attentive and courteous.

Breakfast was amazing (a true English breakfast).

We will definitely go back there when staying in Kent.

Room Tip: Ask a refurbished room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I booked a suite and asked for a sea view but got a garden view, with a spotlight shining into the windows all night. They have blackout blinds in the room below (to which I moved on night 3) and should put them in room 316 also. Staff were at pains to remedy most problems and I wasn't surprised by the dingy decor because of all the reviews I read beforehand, but I went for a relaxing stay and got it. The spa staff are very good and the spa experience is lovely, so are the pool and gym. I ate in the Coast restaurant every night and thought the food and wine excellent and the wine reasonably priced. I was so busy eating, drinking, having spa treatments and exploring the area that I didn't get round to trying the double jacuzzi in my suite. Perhaps it's more of a couples thing anyway. There is only one chain shop (Costa) in Hythe, which was refreshing. All the others are independent.

Room Tip: In the end I didn't mind not having a sea view because the view of the gardens isn't bad. T...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ArchangelH
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just got back from an overnight stay, and glad to be home... Stayed for my Husbands Birthday but was very disappointed with the condition of the hotel rooms. After getting into our 1ST ROOM, on the 4th floor, we were in the room for less than 3 mins, the smell and condition of the bathroom was unacceptable, I couldnt stay in the room any longer. I was then given a FREE upgrade to a SEA VIEW room..... Well you could touch the scaffolding out of the window and once again the stained toilet and smelly bathroom was unacceptable, We didnt stay there so in less then 10 minuets I had gone from 4th floor to 2nd floor and was fed up walking around the hotel...... we was then offered a Suite on 3rd floor, which had fantastic views, but once again the housekeeping of the room was below par for a 4* hotel, the bathroom didnt smell but the widows were scummy and the sink was blocked, the best bit was the view to the sea. But by now I could not be bother to move again, we did consider going home.....
Breakfast was nice, but service was slow.......I was planning on using the Spa Facilites as today is my Husbands birthday, but all we wanted to do was to get home. The room was tired, carpets dirty and furnishing worn so why would we have wanted to stay there for one more minuet than we had too.......

VERY DISAPPOINTED AND WILL NOT RETURN......the only thing I cant complain about was the helpfulness of the lady on reception, but I would have like to have seen a manager to discuss my issues but this was never offered .....

Reviewed 18 July 2014

We had stayed here some years ago when the hotel was under the previous owners and it was a delight. We stayed just one night and really felt things had gone backwards a little. We were upgraded to a suite, which was a good start. This was actually just a very large room with a canopy bed. It had a nice sea view and the bathroom had been updated and was very good. The furnishings in the room were really a bit tired and we presume the new owners are doing a complete overhaul. There is quite a lot of building work going an but we were not bothered by noise.

The main issue was a lack of staff. The hotel was very busy and they simply did not have enough staff on duty to provide a proper service. We couldn't get a drink before dinner as the one person serving in the bar could not handle the volume of business. There was a large party at dinner which meant we had to wait to be be seated. The service in the restaurant did not come up to the levels expected in an establishment like this. The staff tried hard and were pleasant, but again there were not enough on duty. The food was actually very good and if you are not in a rush its a good place for dinner. Service at breakfast was even more stretched and the buffet often ran out of one or more items.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Pros: Beautiful location, extremely helpful front desk staff, nice breakfast, good seating area and workspace in the room, free WiFi for all devices.

Cons: VERY humid in the room (4th floor), very bad water pressure in the shower, uncomfortable pillows, dated decor.

Summary - might be a nice hotel for a weekend getaway, but for business purposes, it was not ideal. The people there were great and the coastline is beautiful, but it is not good to have a bad night's sleep before a full day of business meetings.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room on a lower floor
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Kaushik G, Operations Manager at Hythe Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Mercure Hythe Imperial regarding your recent stay. I am disappointed to know that your stay was not completely satisfactory due to the condition of the room.

We are going through refurbishment and all your concerns you have raised will be looked at and assure you that you will find this hotel has more to offer after the refurbishment is over.

I wish to welcome you back to Hythe Imperial in near future.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Overnight before taking the ferry back to Calais. We booked online and got an excellent deal and perhaps because my husband uses Accor for business had an upgrade to a suite. OK on the third floor, so not done up (312) but big with huge windows overlooking the sea. We had to prop the window open with a coathanger as a warm night...and why do hôtels give you heavy duvets in mid summer? Bring back old fashioned blankets ! Agree with a lot of previous comments, the room decor was shabby but all fonctional, even a hairdryer with a plug by the dressing table. Had a great salad in the bar, service very professional and pleasant as were both receptionists. Gorgeous pool for a dip before breakfast, best English I've had in ages. Look forward to coming back to stay to see the results of the refurbishment!

1  Thank Caroline D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing us on tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted to know that your stay was satisfactory and would love to come back again.

I will look forward to welcome you back to Mercure Hythe Imperial during your next visit to South coast.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at The Hythe Imperial and also experienced the lovely spa facilities, the spa is very relaxing and perfect for unwinding! The staff really made all the difference to our stay as they were extremely helpful from the word go, they managed to accomodate our spa reservation very last minute after our plans changed unexpectedly and despite having another Hen Party in on the same day! Fantastic value for money considering what you would pay for other local spas! Modernly decorated and space to relax inside and outside. The treatments were also lovely! Really happy with everything. The only down side ( which was very small and didn't change our views on this lovely hotel) were the rooms on the top floor were slightly dated, the hotel seems to have had some refurbishment but it appeared to have stoped two floors up.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Kaushik G, Operations Manager at Hythe Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Hythe Imperial. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Yours sincerely,

Kaushik Guha Majumder

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hythe
Burlington Hotel
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
Port Lympne Hotel
Port Lympne Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lympne

Been to Hythe Imperial? Share your experiences!