“Wonderful staff and the hotel has great potential following the refurbishment”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hythe Imperial

Hythe Imperial
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hythe
Rugby
“Wonderful staff and the hotel has great potential following the refurbishment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in a twin and double room. Sadly the hotel didn't live up to our memories (we stayed here 22 years ago) or our expectations. It is in great need of refurbishment to come up to a modern day standard, I believe this is currently underway both internally and externally.
We found pigeons in our first room, so were upgraded to a suite with great views (without question), but the basic lack of care eg renewing tea and coffee, poor wifi, poor TV reception, shower curtain /old bathroom and stained toilet, no air conditioning, stale smell in the reception and hall areas, made us question why we didn't just stay in a modern cheaper hotel.
That said, the hotel staff were fantastic both on both the reception desk and in the recreation/pool area.
We hope the refurbishment will return this hotel to its former glory.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (418)
  • Polish first
Wiltshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

The hotel is in the midst of a refurb, the public areas are spacious and modern and the front entrance is currently closed for a facelift. Our rooms however (116 and 117 connecting) were shabby, as was the housekeeping or rather the lack of replenishing the tea and coffee supplies. The bottles of water that were there on our first night were replaced with Fosters glasses of water!

The breakfast buffet was very good and worth adding to your booking especially as not many options nearby.

the wifi was not available at all in any corner of our rooms during our 4 day stay, we had to go down to the lobby to connect so it may well have been free but pointless to offer if it is not strong enough to make it to the rooms.

Feel as though we have paid towards the refurb which we won't get to enjoy as not likely to return unless we see much better reviews and certainly no increase to the current prices which are high considering it is in Hythe rather than a big city.

Room Tip: Not very good for prams and wheelchairs as steps to rear entrance, no ramp. There is a tiny lift but...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Good to do when offers are on. Great massage. Visited spa when using bigger rooms due to refurb I believe. Much nicer than normal treatment area. Good food served here.
Pool can be too busy especially when swim clubs are in.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Beijing
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I booked in for two nights in the hope of a relaxing break. Unfortunately I was not given the room I had booked - I had paid extra for an ocean view and was given a car park view instead - but the staff on the desk tried to rectify the situation as best they could and gave me the only other room available which did have a sea view. Unfortunately it was also small, shabby and stuffy and had no iron (I know! but I had crumpled clothes) and no facilities. The room was very over-priced, in global terms, for what I was getting. When the building work started at 8am the next morning, and it took over 40 minutes to get my breakfast (they were short-staffed) I realised that this was not going to be a relaxing weekend and that I had best go home. It took over 2 hours to check out as the manager wasn't there and the, genuinely well-disposed and helpful, reception staff were not authorised to give me a refund so we had to wait for his arrival. However I had a fantastic walk along the seafront, it really is a beautiful spot, and when this hotel is refurbished it will be truly lovely. I think my main complaint is one of value for money for the facilities booked for which even the excellent staff can't make up for.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels

1 Thank Bean007

Travellers are raving about these Hythe hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We booked 2 double rooms for 1 night - myself & hubby in one, friends in t'other (her 40th birthday present) - easy check in & a lovely lunch in the Kazzbar, a real subtrap on the patio. The men enjoyed a round of golf while us ladies made use of the pool. The public areas on the ground floor were spotless & nicely decorated. Sadly, the bedrooms were very dated & could do with some TLC. That said, they too were clean & the bed really comfortable. Dinner & breakfast were included in our deal & both were fresh & cooked to perfection. The only downside to our stay was the severe lack of staff. Tables were left uncleared for ages & the bar only had 1 member of staff in the evening. When we complained, we were told that lots of staff had handed their notice in & had not turned up to work their notice. Unfortunate, but not our problem. BUT that didn't detract from our stay & I'm sure we'd go back

• Stayed July 2014
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Mecure Hythe Imperial Hotel has the potential to be really nice mainly due to its prominent position. Unfortunately it doesn't quite make it. We opted for a sea front room with a great view and I paid extra which with my avios points and cash of £75 would have cost me about £140 a night. The 1st problem was checking in where I was given a standard room not what I booked , I pointed this out and it was sorted quickly, strange comment though was "good job we have one left" strangely the one I booked. The room was spacious and with a great view, but quite tired and in need of serious TLC and update. There was the minimum of everything, tea bags, shower and bath toiletries etc, shower door didn't close fully and the TV whilst it had the free digital channels was quite old with poor reception.
Shame this place could be really nice, and I stay in a lot of good hotels, didn't try the other facilities , no as this was an overnight stop for us. Would I stay again, not at £140 per night as it falls far short at this standard. The really good bit was the view, but I would not be happy if we were staying for a few days.
Would I recommend it probably not , high end price should mean better standards, this was and is an oldish seaside hotel and it doesn't need to be that way. Shame great potential I hope the next Mecure in Strasberg is better.
Footnote advertised wireless broadband not a chance in my room, couldent be bothered to try other areas and shouldn't need to either....
2nd footnote, had early breakfast in room, lack of basics such as spoons, milk, sugar and preserves for toast. 7.00am is not early , too many things that are so simple to resolve. Shame.

Dr Trev

Stayed 25 July 2014

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Trevor W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I just had my hen weekend here , we had a spa weekend and it's been fantastic , rooms were lovely we had room 311 huge room with alot of character , yes the hotel is old worldy , but I don't want to be in a travel lodge all the time , staff were helpful and friendly , food was amazing , the spa was clean and welcoming , beds were comfy , shower was great , tea ,coffee and hair dryer provided as were robes towels and slippers for the spa , only slight fault I could find was that the builders started up there machinery at 8am on a Sunday and I felt this was a little early , overall I loved it , would go back again

• Stayed July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hythe
Stade Court Hotel
Port Lympne Hotel
Port Lympne Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lympne
London Beach Country Hotel & Spa

Been to Hythe Imperial? Share your experiences!