Hythe Imperial
Sandgate Hotel(Sandgate)
US$95
US$110
PremierInn.com
Best Western Plus Burlington Hotel(Folkestone)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$80
US$78
TripAdvisor
1,966 results
All reviewssea viewcoast restaurantchampagne barafternoon teasea frontspa facilitiesjunior suitesteam roompublic areasspa breaklovely roomshort breaka lovely staychannel tunnelrenovationholyballroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 September 2014

absolutely lovely food..great staff very helpful..the lounges and the reception and the spa are clean and beautiful..the upstairs could do with a quick spruce up..but was a comfy bed and great sea views thank you xx

Room Tip: very peaceful..slept well..lovely spa..great food
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Kaushik G, Operations Manager at Hythe Imperial, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2014

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Hythe Imperial. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

We'd upgraded our room before our stay and so were quite surprised at what we walked into! The room at best could be described as "shabby-chic". There were stains on the drapes around the headboard, the linings of the curtains were torn and hanging off, the chairs were all chipped and a bit haggard and everything looked really tired. The one positive was that the room was a good size (but then we had paid extra for that privilege!)
The breakfast we received in the room was inedible - I'd ordered poached eggs and mushrooms and the plate was swimming in vinegary water with little lumps of dirt in it from where the mushrooms has not been rinsed (at least I hope that's where the dirt came from!) My partners breakfast wasn't much better!
With the exception of one young lady on reception who was cheerful and polite - the staff were in keeping with the standards of the hotel and were either undertrained or a little world weary! It felt as though any request was a bit of a bother. Beware also that housekeeping seemed to have a wonderful way of not knocking before entering your room in the morning - so keep a towel to cover up whilst you dress!
To top it all off - we were charged over £20 for 2 rounds of sandwiches which consisted of 2 slices of bread (apparently 1 slice of bread = 1 round of sandwich) which again were pretty much inedible. We would have complained, but by this point, the place had sucked the life out of us and we didn't have the energy! The upside of our trip was that it made us very glad to be returning home!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
1  Thank tankgirlfromglos

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Hythe Imperial, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence. We are going through refurbishment and I assure you all rooms will be refurbished over next 6 months and during your next visit you will find this hotel has more to offer. I will pass your concern to Retaurant manager and Head housekeeper to take preventive action.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Hythe Imperial and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Reviewed 2 September 2014

The hotel facade, gardens, lobby/reception, bar and restaurant all look very nice but go beyond the ground floor and you'll quickly get the impression the re-fit budget has run dry!

We booked for just one night prior to an early Euro Shuttle crossing. We'd booked a "Family Executive Room" which we were told was large enough for my wife and I, with beds provided for our two older boys (4 and 8) and room for a cot for our youngest (2). We arrived in a very dull and not particularly clean double room that just had a double bed. A couple of chamber maids quickly came up and made up two other camp beds (one of which was rusty) and I laid out the cot -- conclusion: this wasn't really a family room unless the family in question was a family of refugee seekers recently arrived at one of the nearby ferry ports.

As one of our children got into the double bed before I'd gone to bed I had to sleep in his camp bed which collapsed twice during the night before the slats fell out after which I resorted to sleeping sitting up on the armchair.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Xoan

Dear guest,

We are going through refurbishment and I assure you all rooms will be refurbished over next 6 months and during your next visit you will find this hotel has more to offer. I have noted the housekeeping issue and will speak to head housekeeper to action it.

Reviewed 1 September 2014

This is the second time we've stayed here, the first occasion was about 6 months ago and while there was nothing particularly special about it it was a decent hotel with a pretty good room.

Unfortunately this time the room we were given was probably the worst hotel room I've ever had the misfortune to stay in - If we'd been staying in a 50 pounds a night B and B it wouldn't have been acceptable but the fact that a large hotel chain like Mercure feel that its OK to actually use rooms like this is unbelievable.

We stayed on the 4th floor in a Sea view room that looked like it hadn't been touched since the 1970's - The walls and skirting board were filthy, there were stains everywhere you looked and the floor was coated in places with what looked like clumps of hair. The TV was probably 10 years old and we had bad fuzzy reception on all the channels. The toilet looked like it hadn't been cleaned properly in a while (apparently due to problems with limescale we were told).

We did complain at reception and the (very apologetic) receptionist offered to move us to another room without a sea-view if we could move immediately because the hotel was full and we would need to do this quickly before anyone else arrived - Or take a discount on the room, which is what we decided on as we were only staying the one night.

The excuse given by the hotel (and we talked to a few other people in the bar who were in a similar situation to us) is that the hotel is being renovated - Now I can understand and appreciate that some rooms may have slightly dated decor but to offer to guests the room that we were given in a 4 star hotel for the price that we were paying just beggars belief.

In addition to the state of the room the other issue was the heat - The last time we stayed here we noticed that it was very hot in the room but we put that down to the fact that we'd arrived late in the evening and the windows hadn't been opened, but we had the same issue in this room - Even with the windows being left open for about 4 hours while out the room was still stiflingly hot when we got back.

Finally it would have been nice to have a nice relaxing Sunday breakfast before we left but the hotel let themselves down even more - We sat down and waited to be offered tea/coffee etc but nobody came to take out order and I had to wander round the rooms to find anyone to ask, then we ordered some poached eggs which took nearly half an hour to arrive. The queues for the cooked breakfasts were massive with most things running out by the time you'd actually arrived there - In the end we gave up on having anything more than a couple of sausages which seemed to be the only thing they weren't running out of.

The communal areas of the hotel are by and large pretty good although a bit soulless and its in a decent location for Hythe but they seriously should think about shutting down while they renovate the rooms - I don't know what percentage have been completed and which are still the state that we found but I'm guessing its pot luck which you end up in - Even if we had moved rooms then someone else would have ended up in the one we had because the hotel was full.

In short, avoid - We certainly won't be staying there again (if you hadn't already guessed!) and its put us off visiting any other hotels in the Mercure group as well.

3  Thank Alfie72
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This hotel has a great location, just in front of the sea, with a lovely view. This is the only positive point.

The hotel is absolutely not worth its 4 stars. Possibly a small two stars.

The bad impression started with the booking, the Imperial staff being totally unprofessional, since it took them at least one or two days to handle any request. This was especially annoying after sending them my credit card number to confirm the booking...

The rooms (at least on 4th floor) are old, not very clean (stains on the sofa), really worn up, in imperative need of refurbishing, with very low ceilings. The décor looked like it was made in the 70s and never changed ever since.

The temperature inside the room was extremely hot although the radiator was off and the outside temperature was barely 20°C. There was no way to take it down, except a small window which was not easy to open and an extremely noisy fan on the ceiling.

The bathroom was impractical, with no room to put the toiletries even for one person. The plumbing was all covered with limescale - as if the cleaners did never even try to get rid of it… The overall cleaning was questionable - I found someone else's nightdress and pants hanging on the hook behind the door. Disgusting.

Last but not least, it took me about 50 minutes to be served a risotto in the bar (my friends went away after being reimbursed).

Stay away.