“Poor slow”

Ranked #33 of 206 Restaurants in Margate
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We waited for ever for our meal no way will we be going back sorry the staff need training drink service was bad two drinks in over two hrs food was cold never again what I saw on TV was not this place need hotel inspector back very disappointed john and family

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My family and I attended the Walpole Bay Hotel restaurant on 17th April 2014. My grand parents surname is Walpole and we thought it a perfect location for their Diamond wedding anniversary dinner. My grand parents had spoken about the hotel as they had visited it back in the 50's shortly after they were married, again another reason to go, or so we thought. A table was booked for 7 pm and strangely we were told to arrive at 615 pm? Apparently this was to enable us to have drinks beforehand. I have never heard of this before, surely you can decide if you want a drink before your meal?!?! Anyway we arrived at 7 pm and there were not any members of staff to be seen so I kind of wandered around and made my way to the dinning room where a woman came up behind and me and asked what I was doing? I didn't think this was the correct way to address as guest but hey. I informed her my family and I had a table booked. She told is to take a seat in the "bar area" and gave us menus, there was no one behind the very small bar. After a short while a waiter came out and asked if we were ready to order to which I said we wanted to order some drinks first to which he replied "yeah ok, if you come up to the bar"! Was not impressed.

Whilst sitting in the "bar area" I looked down at my hands and to my horror they were black, the only place that it could have come from was the dirty Chesterfield I was sitting on. My hands were spotless as I had just been to the loo. Yuck.

After ordering our drinks, from the bar, the waiter brought the wine over. He didn't open the bottles, offer to taste or even pour glasses- he simply put them on the table and walked away.

After sitting in the bar area for about 45 minutes we were told our food was ready. My partner ordered the black prawns at a price of 8.95. The price isn't the issue what so ever but then you get just 2 small over cooked prawns I think that's horrendous, especially when 2 weeks later I was in Covent Garden in London and had a huge pile of prawns for less! I had mussels which were tasty but so many broken bits of shells in the bottom of the bowl made it like a mine field. The main courses were just terrible. I had cod wrapped in bacon and I am not exaggerating when I say the 2 pieces of cod I had were 3 inches by 2 Inches and so dry they were in edible. My partner and mum had fish and chips which had to be sent back twice as it was stone cold and just a mess. Of the two steaks one was sent back because it was far to undercooked on its return it was then inedible due to being totally cremated. The 2 lamb shanks had hardly any meat on.

The owner was apologetic but to be honest I don't think it appropriate to rub a customers back and ask how the replacement food was. I dont think she understood how disappointed we were and was just flapping about barefoot going from the dining room to the ktichen then to reception. I don't think that it is appropriate to be barefooted whilst in a restaurant as the owner/ Maitre D. When we complained all the owner offered was to take the price of one steak and one fish and chips off the bill.

All of us left hungry, disappointed and throughly let down. What was supposed to be a wonderful evening in surroundings that reminded my grand parents of their early married days was totally ruined.

In a few words the Walpole Bay may be vintage but in my opinion the only people who will enjoy the food here are people who don't have taste buds and don't think customer service is important... Oh so that is no one them!

Reviewed 18 April 2014

The Walpole Bay Hotel was chosen purely for the name, as my grandparents were celebrating there 60th Wedding Anniversary. Disappointed does not even cover it! There was no welcome on arrival, the cheek of being asked to go to the bar to order drinks which was only in the same room, the useless waiter could have quite easily taken that bar order and brought the drinks to the table, he was hardly busy as we were the only people in there! The toilets were dirty, vintage doesn't have to mean dirty! The food was awful! cold plates, limp over cooked veg, 'red wine sauce' was clearly a thickened oxo cube, not an element of wine in it! I have never had steak served with boiled potatoes and vegetables! My steak had to be sent back as was still 'mooing' even though was meant to be cooked medium. When the steak was 'redone' the char gilled overcooked steak was ruined. Shame the chef clearly doesn't know how to cook steaks first time round! When complaining to the 'owner' greeted by bare feet and a dress fit for the beach, it obviously sets the tone of incapable, sloppy standards. Will not return and would like to add the mussels made me feel sick all night! Don't go you will be appalled. Being a waitress/ bar tender myself.I have always had the opinion treat others how you would expect your dining experience to be out with your own family/friends. I wouldn't even take my dog there, but hey they probably would like to lick the dirty chesterfields clean!
Off out tonight to a proper restaurant to celebrate!
In short shut the place down, a massive clean, new waiting staff and chef that can cook! :-)

Reviewed 18 April 2014

What a total embarrassment selecting the Walpole Bay Hotel for my in-laws Diamond Wedding Anniversary….what a shame my in-laws name was also Walpole which was why we selected it!
A summary of our experience…..no welcome on arrival, filthy leather seats in the foyer, no serving of drinks whilst waiting for dinner, not enough serving staff, waited an hour for dinner when we finally got to the table, only one person serving a table of eight, avoid the black tiger prawns plenty of salad and two prawns equating to £4.50 each , lamb shanks stone cold and very little meat, oily wet fish and chips, not enough vegetables, meals having to be sent back cold, owner parading around doing nothing wearing a beach dress and nothing on her feet…..gave up and left and totally spoiled a special night we will not go back…..in dire need of a hotel inspection….! John Driscoll (Proprietor - Holiday Home!)

1  Thank John D
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I held a 'wake' at Walpole Bay Hotel. Everyone said it was the best buffet food they had ever had, good quality food, piping hot. Charged less than 10 pounds per head for hot and cold buffet, allowed us to push several tables together and staff put all buffet food out on big table at the side. Staff continually topping up tea and coffee and cold drinks at the table. Made the day much easier for me than expected. One of my guests loved it so much they are intending to spend their 60th birthday here later in the year and stay for 4 nights with several friends. Staff made this a special day, thank you all at Walpole Bay Hotel.