“Brilliant Thai and at an amazing price” 5 of 5 bubbles

Yama's
Ranked #2 of 177 Restaurants in Margate
Price range: US$4 - US$10
Cuisines: Cafe, Asian, Thai, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Thai English Eaterie open from 10am until 2.30pm then 5pm until 10pm last orders 9.30ish Tuesday until Saturday. Breakfasts served all day, like the T.J. Special( Egg, Smoked Danish Bacon, Cumberland Sausage, Beans, Tomatoes, Hash Brown, Mushrooms and Hot Toast with real Butter!!!! All for £4.95) As is our authentic home cooked Thai food cooked by Noi our Fantastic Thai Housewife/Cook who creates absolutely fantastic food, spiced to your taste. Come and sample our mouth watering Thai curries or Noi's now famous Yummy Yama (Mango Curry) Children's meals also available at £3.50 Kids Breakfast, Real Chicken Nuggets or Fish Fingers all served with Chips and Beans or Mash and Veg plus a fruit juice, we now do any Thai meal half portion for children.We look forward to meeting you soon Sawadee Krap Keep a look out we are opening Sundays soon
London, UK
“Brilliant Thai and at an amazing price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Visited here for second time.... In my opinion it is the best Thai food outside Thailand and incredibly reasonably priced. For 2 adults and one child - under £22 - for supper.

1 Thank Edo555

Margate, United Kingdom
“Jack Spratt takes the missus out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Maggie and I are like Jack Spratt and his wife... she is a carnivore and I'm a fish-eatiing vegetarian. I like savoury and she likes sweet... we are like mirror images right down to being deaf in opposite ears! This can make eating out a problem. If I find a fish restaurant that looks fantastic chances are there is nothing on the menu for her, I struggle to find anything in the places she favours and so forth. I love to try new places and she wants to go to places where she knows she is catered for. Don't get me wrong we have travelled the world and she has eaten Kangaroo in Australia, Antelope in Africa and Curried goat in the Caribbean.

When we briefly visited Thailand we stayed in an isolated hotel in the north where no English was spoken and no western food served (if you didn't count their grey chips and toasted tuna sandwiches which was the only room service meal whatever you ordered). On the first night I ordered fish and was presented with the most prettily prepared meal I have ever seen, a fish in a thin sauce covered in straw like vegetables and carrots cut into roses and swans. It looked wonderful and tasted awful, like dried fish in cough syrup. My food on the second day consisted of coconut and lemon grass and chillies and I hated it.

This put me off eating Thai food for years.

However a few days ago we found out that Yama's not only served Thai food but offered an all day English breakfast too. Our daughter wanted to try their coconut soup so the four of us went to lunch.

Maggie had a very acceptable all day breakfast and the rest of us had coconut soup which I followed up with a vegetarian Masaman with coconut rice. I can still taste it... totally delicious. I opted for 'medium' spice and found it nowhere near as fiery as I had feared. Less than a week later we were back for an early tea at 5.00pm when they re-open. Maggie had another breakfast and I had the Masaman and coconut rice this time adding succulent king prawns and going for a tad more chilli too. Even better than the first time. Having lived in the area for 15 years and read all the rave reviews I don't know why we hadn't tried Yama's before... and we will certainly be back.

The prices make this not much more expensive than having burgers at McD's or BurgerKing but soooo very much better.

The only thing stopping me eating there more frequently is that there is a limit to how many all-day breakfasts Maggie will eat in a week!

1 Thank grumpyoldbirder
London, United Kingdom
“What a lovely place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We popped into Yama's this evening on the strength of these reviews...wow, what an amazing place. The food is wonderful, exactly the same as the excellent Thai street food that we have experienced on our holidays. Customer service you would find in a high class restaurant, very attentive, they couldn't do enough for us. We have twin baby boys and even they, at 7pm at night, sat still on their chairs and eat as if they had not eaten all day!
Very small place, two tables outside, well worth the visit.

2 Thank Heather G
“Delicious! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have been coming here for years and have always enjoyed it. My family absolutely love it. Now we come here with our daughter and the staff are absolutely lovely. They always go out of their way for their customers. And their prices are really fair for the size of portions that they give. The food is always delicious too. I would definitely recommend it.

1 Thank Nikki W
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Oh, wow - best thai ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We were recommended to visit this place by the lovely locals of Margate, and they know best!
It was busy and bustling so there was no room to eat in on a Saturday night last minute, but that is a good sign and we were pre-warned about this, so opted for takeaway.
The staff were lovely and friendly, polite and efficient. The food was absolutely delicious, reasonably priced and over all, just brilliant.
I love Margate, but the discovery of this place makes me love it even more.
Trust the locals! :)