“Recommended Budget B & B”

Westbrook Lodge Guest House
Ranked #4 of 11 Margate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 December 2012

I have stayed here on my own on 8 separate occasions in the last year, the most recent being 19 December 2012. I return because it's lovely & warm in winter, a convenient location, being close to the beach and I can walk to it from the railway station. To get to the centre of Margate, I walk along the promenade or catch a bus from just outside the B&B. I have no issues with the rooms not being ensuite, as they have a washbasin, plenty of hot water & there is more than 1 shower room and toilets available. Yes, the decoration & bed linen is a mix of patterns, vintage & quirky, but it doesn't bother me, as it is all clean. I just want a good night's sleep, which I get. I watched the Olympics opening ceremony on the TV in the summer without problems, once I'd found the channel. The choice of tea, coffee, cereal, cooked breakfast & toast, butter & jam is more than adequate for someone like me who usually just has toast & coffee. Any issues, like more milk, are quickly dealt with by the helpful staff - you just have to ask. This is the best value B & B I have found in the Margate area, with winter rates which are unbeatable. If you want a posher place, then you'll have to pay a lot more than these rates.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jenny M

Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for 1 night on my own while in the area and I would recommend staying here if you are on a budget.
it is in a decent location close to the beach and a 10 minute walk to the centre of margate the staff were very friendly and helpful and the rooms were small but adequate.
breakfast was a full English with lots of toast and plenty of tea or coffee.
overall if you remember this is a very cheap place to stay then it is good value.

• Stayed: October 2012
4  Thank psyconet
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We only arrived at 23:15 in the evening, but we called in advance and the manager was as kind to keep up until we arrived.

The hotel is indeed very characteristic (some might call it outdated), but that does not mean that things would be broken or not hygienic. We had a very good night of sleep in a good bed in a tidy room and could appreciate the aberrant taste of the owners. Everything works very good, if you watch the pictures, this is what you get. All is very hygienic, staff is extremely friendly and the breakfast is according to what I would expect from an English Breakfast. On top of that, it is located less than 100m away from the sea.

conclusion: good value for money!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Pieeter
Reviewed 6 July 2012

I like to stay in hotels with a bit of character and booked this hotel for that reason. I generally read reviews on Trip Advisor before booking but we had to attend a funeral at short notice and were a bit hasty when booking this hotel. I should have suspected it was not up to standard when looking for directions on Google Street View and the Hotel has deliberately been obscured (normally at the request of the owner). You would have thought that they would welcome its presence as a bit of advertising! What are they trying to hide?

We arrived at ten o'clock and were met by a very pleasant and helpful gentleman who booked us in and showed us to our room. The 'bar' closes at ten so I asked if we could have a drink before it closed, only to be told that they only serve water, coke and red bull. Little point in advertising the bar in their gallery on their website if that is all on offer!

The room was very dated with 70's style decor and furniture. The bed linen was of the same ilk but at least it was clean although the towels smelled a bit musty. These were a mish-mash of different colours and sizes and showing their age. The bed was quite hard but a good nights sleep was had by all of us. There was a kettle for tea/coffee but no milk. The TV didn't work either - intermittent signal through an ancient DVB box.

In the morning we had to wait our turn for the shower room which is really annoying when there is three people waiting to get ready. Modern standards require an en-suite which could be possible in this hotel if they were prepared to invest some money.

Breakfast was adequate but with low quality ingredients in the full English. All jams and condiments were in sachets including the UHT milk for the coffee and tea. The chap serving was pleasant and helpful but not very attentive and seemed too interested in talking to the 'regulars'.

To summarise we were disappointed with this hotel and it was certainly not value for money. The staff were friendly enough but this didn't make up for the poor facilities and shared shower rooms. I would not recommend it to anyone unless the price was more realistic to it's limited attraction.

Room Tip: OK if you don't mind sharing a bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Simtek
Reviewed 28 May 2012

My husband and i are both disabled and where given ground floor accomodation on request. The room was very light and airy spotlessly clean and comfortable with tea and coffee in the room we were also given extra when we asked for some. The breakfast was ample, Maybe decor a little dated my only critism was nowhere to sit outside which would have been nice to sit out in the sunshine, but overall a very pleasant weekend the staff were helpful and pleasant at all times would definately return.

Room Tip: Ground floor was plenty big enough and comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Valerie E
Reviewed 30 April 2012

The gallery pictures showed the guest house to be true and honest. It was exactly what some other people had commented: Clean, tidy, friendly staff, good breakfast, but decor was "dated". But hey - it was only a 2-star, so we weren't expecting 5-star accommodation - hence the price!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will most certainly return another time. The location and parking was good and we highly recommend the Al Raj Indian Restaurant in the town.

Room Tip: Room 2 has a sea view!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Vivienne D
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Terrible B&B.
I stayed here for a night and let me tell you 1 night was enough. Upon checking into our room we discovered NO quilt cover on the bed, just a bare quilt covered in hairs, I asked the "manager" for a duvet cover VERY politely and was shocked when he began to argue with me, The eastern european guy obviousely has no clue how to run a buisiness or how to treat PAYING customers. Worse place i have ever stayed.

Upon arrival your treated to a couch outside the front door where the manager smokes, 2 giant dirty ashtrays filled with fag butts and a manager who don't care about his customers. When i asked his name he refused to give it to me.

Believe me people, if your reading this, stay somewhere else, anywhere else. This guy deserves nobodies money. It turned into an argument after i requested a quilt cover.

Beds were rock hard, towels were damp, shower dirty, and breakfast was a joke. There were dirty fermenting plates left around which were still there the next morning.

If i could rate this a zero i would. Awful place and awful managment.

Room Tip: Choose a room...... in another hotel or B&B!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends