“Superb”
Review of The Burlington

The Burlington
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Margate
The Burlington
Ranked #8 of 11 Margate B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Burlington for a week in early June. We are from the states and decided on a trip to the UK. We had plans to spend 2 weeks in London to see some show and just see London. We had a room booked for 2 weeks but after 4 or 5 days we said to each other lets go somewhere else! The room was fine the shows just ok, city way to crazy for me. We did a little searching on the internet and found the Burlington in Margate, it looked like a good place relax for our last week in the UK. The room facing the sea was superb ( clean, well maintained, frig, good internet , nice TV) . The breakfast was Superb staff always ready to help ( but we really didnt need any) because everything was Superb. I would recommend , and have to friends and family the Burlington if they ever go on trip to the UK. Margate was a little different than I am used to but all people were friendly

SUPERB

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 July 2013

I was shocked to read the a bad review because we are currently staying at The Burlington Hotel from a cancellation Saturday 6th July. We arrived in Margate late Saturday night to seek accommodation but all were fully booked. Called at the Burlington and spoke to the owner Richard who advised us that the hotel was full but had one room that had not checked in, he advised us that the room was being held until after 22:30pm, if they had not turned up, we could have the accommodation. We waited in the hotel and at 23:00pm he gave us the keys. We have now booked in for a week here and found the accommodation very acceptable and very friendly. The free internet is a bonus! Feel very at home!! Many thanks, Abby and John!!

Room Tip: All sea views are really good views!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank abby j
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I booked a family room for my wife and two children at this hotel. At the time of the booking I let the owner know that my family would be arriving late but that they would definitely arrive. I was called a few days prior to the booked date to confirm that we still wanted the room, I confirmed this and again explained that my wife and kids would not be leaving Brighton (105 miles away) until 21:30hrs and that they would arrive very late but would definitely be coming, the owner even joked that he and his mother would get some Red Bull energy drinks in to ensure that they would be awake for my families arrival. At 23:30hrs tonight, they arrived at the hotel only to find it locked up and no lights on. They tried calling the hotel and rang the door bell to no avail. I called the hotel from my workplace and managed to get an answer from the owner only to be told that he had rented the room earlier that evening as my family had not arrived by 20:00hrs. He did not even have the common decency to go to the hotel entrance to explain this to my wife and two kids, preferring to hide inside rather than explain the situation to them. So as I type this, my family are having to drive back 105 miles to home, they will miss the life saving competition that they had travelled so far to compete in.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank WHAFC
Richard W, Owner at The Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

This booking was made over the phone, we had called this customer during the week to confirm the booking as on Saturdays the demand for rooms are high, they confirmed they would be coming however it would be a late check - in (between 8pm - 11pm) to which I joked about needing energy drinks to stay awake !

On the Saturday at 10pm they still had not arrived, I had a family desperately needing accommodation and was waiting for any cancellations, I called this customer twice but it went straight to answerphone, I left a message to say "PLEASE CALL BACK ASAP IF THE ROOM WAS STILL REQUIRED" and that we would hold the room until 11pm.

11pm came with no phone call so I let the room to the family who had been waiting patiently. I then settled them in, shut the hotel and went to bed.

At midnight the doorbell started to ring and I was woken to constant ringing of the bell, hotel phone, & our mobile, which I answered, it was the man that made the booking, he advised me that his wife and children were waiting outside, I explained that the room was only held until 11pm and that we had called on a number of occasions to check if they were still coming as they still had not arrived, he responded with "that phone is broken" I did ask why he had not given me his wife's number, to which he did not reply.

He then called me a GREEDY man, despite the fact I had given him a reduced rate for the room, he told me I HAD to answer the door to his wife, he then told me he would come back and burn the hotel down, then hung up, obviously the man was unhappy so I got out of bed, made myself look half decent and went down to let them in at 00:15am to offer them a drink and to see if I could find them somewhere to stay, however when I got there they had gone. I then went back upstairs to bed.

We would have under these circumstance offered for FREE, full use of our lounge, I had a spare mattress and bedding which I would have offered and full use of the washroom and breakfast for them in the morning.

In all the years we have been here we have never experienced this type of problem, we do everything we can to accommodate everyone and make them feel at home, but when there is lack of communication from a customer and no up to date contact number given it makes things very difficult for us.

Your Sincerely
The Burlington Hotel

Reviewed 3 July 2013

me and my boyfriend came to margate for a week break the room was clean and tidy the owners were very welcoming and friendly the bed was comfy to sleep in not like some hotels we have stayed in would highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming for a break to margate

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I have been coming to Margate with my parents and children for about 20 years and stayed in many hotels, but we have enjoyed staying at The Burlington so much, we keep coming back every year.
Richard and Pauline are like family to us, always pleasant, helpful and great company to be around.
The rooms are always kept clean and fresh bed linen is always available.
The breakfast is always cooked to perfection and is delicious with a choice of hot drinks made to order.
It is a very child friendly hotel with cots and high chairs if you need them.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone because once you have stayed here, you wont want to go home!!
See you very soon for another fabulous stay.

Room Tip: We always have rooms 7, 10 and 11 because they all have lovely sea views
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracy W
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Took my 10 year old son on a boys outing in Margate, walked by the sea, played in the sand etc. etc.

Stayed at The Burlington. Great room, excellent service and really good prices. Located right by the sea. A family run business since 1977. Our room view, modern and clean decor, microwave and fridge. Richard the owner very friendly and suggested a few things we could do while in sunny Margate.

The sunsets in Margate are amazing...

Room Tip: We looked at all the rooms on the upper floors, they were all good )
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

Great location, great hotel. Clean and very friendly. Just what we were looking for.

Rooms were all you needed, very comfortable bed, great sea views,
Owners very accommodating and friendly.

Lovely breakfast, especially after a night of drinking.

Would definitely stay again. :)

• Stayed: May 2013