“No room on arrival despite checking”
Review of The Burlington

The Burlington
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Margate
The Burlington
Ranked #8 of 12 Margate B&B and Inns
London, UK
“No room on arrival despite checking”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I booked at the Burlington a month or so in advance for a 2 night stay and called the day before to double check it was ok. I was told I could arrive at 11am but said 6pm was fine. On arrival the male owner seemed to think I was in a party of 4, then after a few minutes of discussion with his mum they said i couldn't have the room. I left and spent an hour phoning round, not ideal on a Friday night. As I was leaving they said I could come back for a night if I was stuck, by then I had enough of being there.

No doubt there will be a reply saying it was a mistake, but they had my number and they could have called. I guess they got a better offer for the room.

Poor service hence the single star.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank marting

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Just at the tail end of a two night stay. Stayed with my wife and toddler. We were made to feel very welcome. Great value considering it was over a bank holiday weekend. Comfortable, clean rooms and superbly positioned for the beach and station. The owner really went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed too.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Cambridgeshire, England
Reviewed 17 August 2013

The Burlington is nicely positioned to be within easy reach of everything you need in Margate - near the train station, across the road from the main beach and tidal swimming pool, and a short walk to the Old Town. Many other guest houses look rather tired but Pauline and Richard work hard to keep this charming old property up to modern standards. The deluxe first floor room we stayed in is immaculate and its bay window feels like a glazed balcony with pleasant views of the beach and promenade.
Margate itself is a mix of vibrant seaside chic, decaying grandeur plus a few ancient relics. The resort's history is laid out for all to see, warts and all, and that's part of its charm. There's lots to see around East Kent - Broadstairs, Ramsgate, Richborough Fort, Deal/ Falmer/ Dover Castles and much more. We enjoyed a fascinating stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Christchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Across the road from the sea / beach and ideal stay for families. A fridge in the room and all the usual tea / coffee making stuff with biscuits !! very clean room and en -suite with large lounge downstairs with big screen tv and coffee machine.Attentive staff. considering this is priced better than the big group hotel chains its a bargin ***** stars all the way !!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea facing room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank katielittlered87
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed in The Burlington for two nights with friends. The staff were very friendly and the breakfast was excellent. The rooms were clean and the location is excellent - very close to the station and one of Margate's beaches. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

The Burlington was a fantastic place to stay on our summer hols. It's in a perfect location, and what really made it was the gorgeous sea view from our window. Margate sunsets are breathtaking. All the staff at the hotel were so friendly and made us feel very welcome. The cooked breakfasts were delicious. The room was spotless, with a handy fridge and free wi-fi. Really, for budget prices this is an exceptional hotel and totally worth the long train journey from Liverpool!

We stayed here for 3 nights before moving on along the coast on our holidays, but could have easily stayed in Margate for the week - such a lovely place with lots of great things to see. The Turner Contemporary is fantastic, and there are lots of lovely independent galleries and shops to explore too, with a nice vintage market in the old town on a Sunday. Afternoon tea at the Walpole Bay Hotel was amazing! Have a pint in Turner's old drinking den, eat some fresh seafood at the harbour, explore the mysterious Shell Grotto, relax on the perfect sandy beaches...Margate was a revelation. Thanks so much for a lovely stay at The Burlington!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Clacton-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Excellent service.....beautiful hotel and gorgeous suite. Amenities all 5 star quality.. I would rate this hotel excellent. The exquisitely cooked food and friendly service could give the Ritz Hotel in London a run for it's money.

1 minute walk from The train station and Margate beach. The rooms overlook a stunning and wonderful Margate beach that is a must see at night time and can be used as a beautiful overlook for photographers as i myself could not help myself but take photos as the sun set and the transition from night to day was something truly amazing.

I really enjoyed my stay and the beds where very comfortable and i slept very well.

You can walk to several restaurants/venues and into the town within a matter of minuets.

The best thing though that made my experience so wonderful was the friendly staff that catered and looked after me, it made the trip very enjoyable and i enjoyed my conversations with a staff member named Richard who very politely answered any of my questions and helped me out alot.

If you are going to stay anywhere in Margate or Kent for that matter make sure you stay in The Burlington Hotel

Stayed from 10th-12th of July 2013