“Just don't”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Glenwood Hotel

Glenwood Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Margate
Glenwood Hotel
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Takeley, United Kingdom
“Just don't”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

After trying to alter booking by phone was told this was not possible !
On arrival the reservation could not be found !!
Someone somewhere wasn't being honest !!
The general state of the place is very dated and the location is amongst many undesirables !

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Richard H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We did not come expecting luxury since we knew the hotel was half the price of all the others in he area. After reading the reviews we arrived a little apprehensive but the management and staff Could not have been more helpful (apart from the night porter of course). They provided us with a huge breakfast and brought us more of whatever we needed. The location was fairly good as we were attending a function in the immediate area but it was quite a walk from the centre of town (taxis are very cheap though). The rooms were dated but clean, even if the plumbing was a little nois. Nothing special but did the job for one night. Some of the more permanent guests made me feel like this was Definitely not a holiday spot but we got what we paid for and what we expected!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Margate hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the weekend, was a bit apprehensive reading other reviews as it was a last min booking, but totally value for money. Hotel is very homely, staff are really friendly, helpful and nothing is too small. Breakfast each morning was nice, a good selection. The room was quite a fair size and accommodating, not a problem. Hotel is not far from shops, restaurants and the main beach, all within walking distance. Definitely would come back and highly recommendable. Value for money. Stayed here with my family of 3, sharing one room.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank adriansawyers
Aarschot, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Booked this room 20 minutes before arriving after deciding against sleeping in the car. Room ok, bathroom REALLY small, both relatively clean. When flushing the toilet it kept making a lot of noice for a good 5 minutes. Thought I had broken it at first. Guy at arrival friendly, older man in the morning seemd a bit grumpy. On-street parking, free, but you have to be lucky to find a spot. Windows with single glass, lots of birds, awoken at 5 am. Also no decent blinds, so light came also in from around 5 am. Breakfast was a disaster. An older woman, all on her own (she was complaing to all guests), apparantly another lady had not shown up. Everything looked a bit dirty, so I ended up grabbing 2 bananas and checking out straight away... The room itself was defenitely ok, not so bad as said in other reviews. Although it should have been priced ten pounds cheaper.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hertford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Two night break at the Glenwood Hotel, Friday and Saturday night.
Poky room with a three quarter sized bed and not a double with springs poking through the mattress.
Shower OK, if you weighsix stone!! Its so small. Leaky, smelly toilet. Sink in bathroom OK if your midget height!
Small window with a view of next doors wall and barbed wire, thought we were in Beirut not Margate!
Woke up by banging from a child above us at 5.30am, they live there! The hotel obviously takes DSS residents. Although I do realise times are hard and they have to live somewhere they had no respect for paying guests who come for a break!
Breakfast......dirty tables, with shared jam and marmalade jars, we did wonder about infection control or the lack of it. Breakfast basic, no choice of brown or white bread. The old waitress gives the impression that you either take it or leave it.
We paid £108 for two nights and we didn't expect much but we even felt robbed!
Gone home for a rest and would never return.

Room Tip: Just don't go there!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MP123_12
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Very clean bright and well presented family room, tea and coffee and free view television. Classic breakfast in the morning. Room could do with better curtains though.

Only downside is the street - noisy seagulls cats and kids late at night - good location for seafront and great kids playground at the end of the road but a bit of a trek from the old town.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Michael L
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Paid £27 for a stay here on my own as I decided to go last minute and my friends hotel was booked up. Rang the hotel and advised them I'd be arriving late the man on the phone who sounded lovely said it wouldn't be a problem and that he would leave a note for the night porter.

Arrived at the hotel at 4:30 on my own and it was raining heavily. Rang the bell numerous times but nobody answered, rang the phone numerous times and finally a creepy old guy came out of the office in his socks (think Mr Filtch off Harry Potter) who stood staring me deciding whether to let me in or not, eventually he opened the door and gave me a good telling off for turning up so late, I told him I had rang to check if it was ok and he said "not at 5am", I told him I'd been stood outside for 30 minutes and he made some form of noise at me and threw my key at me (without even asking for my name) with vague directions (then told me off for going the wrong way). No information on breakfast/check out times.

Got to the room which I was dreading but to be honest it was OK, small double bed (vvvveeeeerryyyy soft) and clean sheets, clean towels and a clean bathroom so room not so bad.

Was woken up at about 9:30am to a couple rowing upstairs and the room getting trashed. Rang down to reception and asked what time check out was, the woman told me 10:30am (although booking.com says 11am), I asked her about breakfast and she told me I was too late (it was 10am) so can't comment on that.

Went downstairs to check out and there was a load of blokes who looked like they lived there sat in the communal area drinking and staring- glad I was checking out. Waited for the woman on reception to finish having a conversation with her friend and gave the key back, not so much as a goodbye. Do not stay, here if you're female and alone. I didn't feel at all safe in this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo