“Lovely location”
Review of Walpole Bay Hotel

Walpole Bay Hotel
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Reviewed 26 May 2014

An old fashioned hotel with helpful staff. Our room was lovely with a view of the sea from the little balcony. Bed was comfortable but pillows less so. The shower water pressure was loe so we had baths instead, but maybe due to third floor. The hotel is also a museum so a bit cluttered for clumsy people. A very relaxing stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We just wanted a quick night away and break from work for myself and partner. Then on to friends for Sunday lunch. Good old Walpole Bay and its staff made it just perfect.

The Walpole Bay never disappoints, it makes a refreshing change from the corporate ‘fluff’ I have to put up with over the year while the client picks up the bill.
I am happy to kick off and chill in this delightful retro space. I know its not bang up-to-date, Ok, so I do enjoy the new wave of trendy boutique hotels...but come on, life's too short to play the 'Hotel Inspector' all the time.
Leave that to the couch potatoes who's diet consists of nothing but Dragon Den and whatever cookery programme is being broadcast. The great unwashed trying so hard to be experts.
The rooms are 'amusingly' populated with a plethora of pre war and utility furniture: where else can you spread eagle on the comfy bed and chuckle with your friend at the decor whilst 'looking up old friends' in the huge mirror placed at the bottom of the bed!!
Cannot fault the staff on their attentiveness and general bon ami, one gets the feeling that all they want to do is sit down and chill with you.

Important Tip:
book through the hotel directly, i.e. phone/email, as the third party EVIIVO web link site is not to be trusted. The url will have the eviivo name in it. They will show an image of a room however it is not the one you get. Be sure to check out the walpolebayhotel rooms image link to see the actual rooms and room numbers. Then phone and book.

3  Thank K D
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We are just back from a night in this interesting quirky hotel. Looking at previous reviews we wanted to see it for ourselves. Well we was very impressed. Loved the look of the place straight away, the veranda was a lovely place to sit and relax with a drink on a lovely warm night.
Walking into the reception was like stepping back in time. The staff were all friendly and welcoming. Our room 305 was beautiful with fantastic views.....thank you James for your kindness!
Thank you also toTerri and Matthew for excellent bar service in fact all staff were happy and courteous. We booked a meal in the restaurant and was pleasantly surprised, I had plaice and my partner had the gammon and both dishes were very tasty. Entertainment was great , the owners niece was very talented. It was a lovely touch that the owner Jane introduced herself and asked if our meal was good and were we enjoying ourselves.
We loved the museum on the 2nd floor and also the napery gallery. You can't help looking and touching everything.
We can't wait to return and relax in this enchanting little gem of a place!
We also liked the fact that we could park outside free of charge and we were also a short walk from the beach and the town.

Room Tip: Room 305 was great , very spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank laceylooKent
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed in a family suite, which we found to be very comfortable and homely, our daughter was very pleased to have her own room connected to ours. The staff were super friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Highly recommend the cream tea, with large freshly baked scones on the veranda. Perfect for a get away weekend.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Clare T
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Home from a two night stop as a little breakaway from normality, and this is the perfect place. From the first smile from the person behind the reception desk to the farewell from the owner as we left. I couldn't have wished for more from anywhere to relax for just a while.

It is an unusual hotel to say the least, but so interesting. The first impression is that you are entering a hotel left behind by time, but still has comfort and privacy as it's top priority.

The cleanliness is second to none. I do believe that someone from the cleaning staff actually lays on a bed, or in a bath, or even sits on a toilet occasionally, (something I am a firm believer of) and sees what the guests see. The same detail is continued across the whole hotel, even throughout the memorabilia and museum pieces. The decoration is done to the highest standard.

Food was perfect too. We have vowed to return as two nights was not long enough to try all the meals that appealed to us. We tried four different dinners between the two of us, I can only imagine the rest were just as good. Decent size portions, vegetables that were cooked perfectly, (crunchy is perfect to me, even if it isn't to you). And service that was attentive, but not intrusive. Breakfast was as good. First morning cooked to order as there were few of us staying that night, second as a buffet, which was kept amply warmed, and stocked. Other breakfast options are available other than the fry up, but I filled up on bacon and beans so can't comment.

Now to the room. First impression, smells nice, very clean, well laid out. Bed looks soft, and it was, but have to say, very comfortable, and didn't give me back or neck ache that I tend to get on the first night at any hotel. View from the west side is perfect for sunsets into the sea. Bathroom spotless. Shower, constant temperature and good flow of water.

I mentioned the owner, Jane makes a point of trying to catch up with all here guests, making sure we have everything we need, and answering any questions we had about the hotel/museum.

To sum up. Accommodation, superb. Food, superb. Overall experience, superb. Would I stay here again? As soon as possible.

Room Tip: Rooms east or west. Sunrise or sunset.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Spent a night here with my parents and my son recently. We had a family room, a double and twin bed room connecting with an ensuite bathroom between. Our room

As soon as we set foot in the hotel we saw what a special place it was and my son was dying to try out the lift. We put our bags in our room and explored a little. The hotel is full of wonderful original objects and artefacts on all floors. We enjoyed looking around the art gallery and loved the napkins in the dining room.

Our rooms had plenty of space and comfortable beds..The bathroom looked new The double had a small balcony and it was lovely looking over the gardens and down to the sea. We had a good selection of teas including fruit teas, coffee , hot chocolate and bottled water to drink and tasty biscuits.

Breakfast was fantastic. It was self service and there were cereals, fruit juices, cooked English style breakfast items , fruits, eggs,cheese, meats, different sorts of breads and spreads to choose from and there was a very plentiful supply. Additional items such as fish and porridge could be provided on request and my son thoroughly enjoyed his bowl of porridge.

Al the hotel staff and the owner were very friendly and helpful, both just chatting and helping with information about the local area.

One very nice touch. I left my mobile phone in the bedroom .Upon contacting them they posted my phone to me. I asked how to pay for postage and they said send us some stamps once you have received it! Which meant I got my phone back very quickly.

The hotel is a little worn in places..it must be a huge job to maintain a place like this but is a lovely unique and interesting place and the welcome is very warm. I would definitely return and will tell others about it too.

Room Tip: The family rooms are particularly good value.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Easy to find and ample FREE parking, if not directly outside then just a few feet away. Some may find it quirky but I feel it just adds to its attraction and charm. Jayne and her team made us feel welcome and comfortable. The rooms were clean, well presented and the bathroom was modern and clean. The four poster bed was a dream. The food was excellent, so good in fact we invited a local friend to come and dine with us at the hotel one evening. The Breakfast menu and choice was just fantastic and if you really want to eat your fill you are encouraged to! And do not be afraid to ask, if you can not see what you would like if it's not on the table, chef will cook it fresh for you. And if you do over indulge at breakfast the cliff top walks are just a right turn from the main door away. The 1927 lift puts to shame some of the modern rubbish you get in new hotels!!! The only reason this hotel did not score an excellent, water pressure in the shower and a problem with the hot water during our stay, but to Jayne's credit the hot water issue was addressed as soon as it was reported, not bad for an Easter weekend! Overall recommend to everyone and we will be staying there again. Thank you Jayne x.

Room Tip: 3rd Floor if you can for the room balconies and views over the coast.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TheRQMS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margate
Sands Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kingsgate
Sherwood Hotel
Sherwood Hotel
#6 of 12 in Margate

Been to Walpole Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!