“Love the sea views”

Ranked #3 of 54 things to do in Margate
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I was visiting Whitstable for the weekend and we decided to make a trip to the Turner Gallery. We were glad it opened till 6pm which was handy if you are doing something else too. It was really cold because of the wind and sleet so it was great that the Turner Contemporary was about 15 minutes walk away, somewhere warm! I think Margate needs more indoor attractions. However, when you are visiting Margate in the winter it is important to wear lots of warm things, the wind is really strong but that is part of the fun of travelling there.

We arrived there by train so didn't have all the parking hassle and we enjoyed the scenic train trip by chatting and reading, rather than having a boring journey on the motorway with the dreary Road Chefs.

I liked the entrance with the Kiss and the sea in the background, although it would have been nice to have some seats around the area.

It was a vast Reception and shop area, but I think there could have been more use of t,he space for more paintings, there was so much white space.

The children's area was poor, again full of white space, and unimaginative. It was pretty empty.

It would have been nice for all rooms by the sea to have a 'sea view' as you felt 'you could be anywhere and not by the sea'.

What I think would have been good is if there was more variety in the Gallery, as not everyone is intertested in Contemporary art, perhaps more of a mixed Gallery. I think that more locals from Margate and Kent would be able to take part.

I was interested in one of reviews saying that some of the building was getting cracked already. I wonder how the Gallery will cope in bad weather.

On the whole I did enjoy it, though it needs a bit of tweeking. I definitely think it is an asset mainly as it is indoor and attracts people from all round the country. The fact that exhibitions would change regularly is really important so this encourages people to go back.

I would like to see more local links and perhaps more enviromental paintings (after all it is near the sea so something with a marine or weather link would be good and relavant to the area it is sited in). I would also like to see textile contemporary art in the future, this will encourage more women to see it.

The shop sold some recycled items which was good and handmade art but not sure if they sold local goods. I think there should be more postcards on sale as the shop was quite expensive. They did have some graphic comics which was good. It was free that was brilliant too, so we can't be too hard.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

Great for Margate, but at the moment it takes minutes rather than hours to see all exhibts.

The food in the cafe is good, sadly it is the wrong way round

5  Thank undercoverelephant
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Well after all the hoo ha we had to go and visit to find out about this place. We are not 'arty' types but thought we would give it a go.

The first thing is that we felt it had been a missed opportunity with the lighting aspect of the building. I read that the architect had designed the building to reflect the colours of the sky and sea, however we thought that he had missed a trick by not lighting the individual squares of glass up at night and instead it sits there like a great big grey hulk.

Inside its light, airy and accessible. You are free to wander into the different rooms. Being so large we were surprised that there were so few actual exhibitions but I suppose the point is to give room and space to each type of art. We enjoyed the way the building was used as part of the art with the huge sun on the windows of the main hall which overlook the sea.

We of course had to have the obligitory tea and cake. We felt the service was poor, the items overpriced and the cake not particularly good quality although it was a 'posh' cake.It was genius to set the seating area of the cafe with such a lovely view over Margate sands and the sea, this is what you pay for I suppose.

We plan to keep visiting when different exhibitions are in town and overall I would recommend it.

Reviewed 8 December 2011

Exilerating experience and no addmission fee. Donations are accepted and if you enjoy this experience then please give a donation as it is well worth it. There are some wonderful exhibits and it was such a joy to peruse.

Reviewed 4 December 2011

We are just back from a day at The Turner - three families with 6 children aged between 4 and 7. The Kent Youth Festival was on so there were many engaging activities for the children including cloth printing and shows to watch. Even without these our children would have had a good time as they enjoyed the exhibits, especially the film booths and something where you opened doors and saw films (I missed this one but this is how they described it). The highlight for me was a show in the foyer with 5 women and a lot of audience participation. There was just such a good vibe to the place.

We had lunch at the cafe which overlooks the entrance so you could people watch. The food was very good. We also went down to the beach, so if you take kids you also need to pack your buckets and spades! There are free lockers (£1 coin is returned) to stash all your stuff in.

I read some comments about parking - there is free parking if you head away from the town centre up the coastal road towards Cliftonville.... if you don't mind a ten minute walk. I parked in town a couple of streets away from the gallery and it cost £1.50 for 4 hours. I think it was called Trinity Square. Nice walk though the old town which has lots of new boutiques, retro shops and cafes.

We have been visiting Margate every year for 8 years and felt the impact The Turner has had on the local area has been impressive - you could really see the changes since last year. I really hope the regeneration continues as there is still a lot of shabby, boarded up shops and neglect.

1  Thank carolinefromhackney