“Chill time” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Ware, United Kingdom
“Chill time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

Like a lot of people saw this Hotel on Homes Under the Hammer and was very interested in seeing it for real. Wow what an experience. From the ease of booking to the friendlyness of the Hotel staff on the phone and when I arrived.
Hotel staff very polite and friendly. Staff also looke as if they enjoyed their jobs and nothing to much for them.
The Hotel itself is stunning. A good job done. Everything down to the minut detail very well done. Could not fault the cleanliness. My room in the Attic was so spaciouse and decorated very calmly. The bathroom planned and decorated to a very high standard.
You got what you paid for and worth every penny.
A great get away place to spoil yourself and chill in. Certainly going to go back....and soon.

Room Tip: Attic room was spaciouse and quiet. You do share balcony but great views over the Bay.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Sandy5016

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

From reservation, through check in and across the whole weekend it was excellent service and quality touches at every turn.

Great value for money and it seems that the teething problems mentioned in earlier reviews have now been largely ironed out.

The afternoon tea, dinner and breakfast were all excellent and made from truly fresh and tasty produce. The best boutique hotel I've stayed in since leaving Australia.

Room Tip: Go for the sea view rooms - worth the little extra.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
kent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed on a saturday night , booked two seaview rooms the rooms were very stylish and clean , the staff were very attentive and polite , the breakfeast was superb , highly recommended this hotel, the potion is stunning ,

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank michael h
Sands_NC, Manager at Sands Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Hello Michael,

Thank you for such positive feedback. Its really nice to hear you had a lovely time here at Sands Hotel. We hope to hear from you again.

Many thanks.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Well you done it again sands! Had our friends down for the weekend to show you off, lunch was very busy indeed but service was still great. Glad you have one course on your menu now. My mother couldn't eat much and its just the right amount. See you all soon, keep up the good work.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank inharmony52
Fakenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Someone has spent a great deal of money on the Sands and has done a great job, internally as other reviewers suggest it is a bit blingy and, would have benefited from some less glitzy chandeliers and bedroom furnishings, but the attention to detail in the rooms is really good, shelf in the shower fro shampoos , plugs where you need them and fab beds and pillows , comp nibbles as well and really nothing to fault except the designers taste which is subjective anyway. The Sands hopes to attract Turner contemporary personel, artists and viewers and general folks coming to town for a weekend. As in all seaside towns the service is a bit erratic because I suspect the staff are hard to find, but this hotel is 99% there and just needs a bit more attention to detail at the bar and at breakfast .This is my home town and after 50 yrs of hoping something might happen it seems to be , lots of building works going on and what looks like a thriving a pretty old town vibe.

Room Tip: Get rooms at the front, if you can .
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Had a two night stay at The Sands Hotel Margate Kent for my wife's 60th birthday and had an afternoon tea for 30 family members. The whole staff were fantastic and could not enough for us. On top of that its spotless, rooms are of an excellent quality,the lighting in the rooms are public areas are well done as a retired electrician i should know,food is tremendous. Car parking can be a pain but that's the councils fault not the hotels for not enforcing the hotels designate bays or fixing the lighting. Once again nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff. Highly recommend this hotel and looking forward to booking another visit. It's about time Margate had a quality hotel.

Stayed November 2013
12 Thank Bowmagic
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I booked my partner in I at this hotel last weekend whilst visiting for a friends birthday. It is in an excellent location and has superb views of the beach and coast.

Upon booking the room, I received an email asking if i'd like to book for dinner which I thought was a lovely touch. I'd also forgotten to pre-arrange parking (FYI if you're driving then don't forget!) so I fired a quick email off to the hotel before I left London. By the time I was there it was all arranged.

We were greeted by Grace at reception who was very friendly and welcoming, she even showed us into the room and gave us a quick tour. I spend a lot of time in hotels on business and this was a very welcomed extra touch.

The bar and restaurant down in the Lobby had a good selection of wines, a bottle of which we took to our room and was perfectly chilled. We didn't end up eating in the hotel, but they did book us a table at Georgio's just up the street and the food/service there was also outstanding.

The next morning we came down for breakfast which was included in our room charge. As we walked into the restaurant we were simply asked "are you ok there?" which I found strange, I would have expected a "good morning, how are you?" or something to that effect. We were instructed to sit anywhere that was set up for breakfast. Not all tables were and one vacant one by the window which would have been perfect had not yet been cleaned from it's previous occupants.
Our order was taken and fresh coffee brought to us and we had some pastries from an excellent continental selection. We had the Full English which was delicious and cooked to perfection.

I have to say in a stark contrast to the night before I did not find any of the staff engaging or chatty. There were some delays on requests, such as more milk for the coffee or glasses to go with our water (that took about 15 minutes). I thought it was such a shame for such a lovely hotel for the staff not take a genuine interest in us like the lovely Grace had the night before. I often work as a mystery shopper as well as being a senior manager with an award winning airline and I found the service in the morning to be lacking in any warmth or sincerity. Don't get me wrong they were polite and respectful but just missing the 'welcoming factor'.

I should mention the attention to detail in the rooms and the hallways not to mention the lobby is absolutely stunning; a lot of thought and planning has gone into this hotel and you really do feel like you're getting what you pay for. The mini bar contents was a little bit slapdash with a couple of chocolate bars etc but the tea and coffee making facilities in the room were again superb.

My tip to the hotel; keep doing what you're doing, but get your staff who were working on Sunday 27th October to smile a bit more and let some of their personality shine. If they can't, then they are letting your wonderful hotel down.

Room Tip: We had a town facing room (slightly cheaper) which was perfect, but if you want a sea view I'd r...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
26 Thank dfa73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margate
Crescent Victoria Hotel
Royal Harbour Hotel
Royal Harbour Hotel
#4 of 9 in Ramsgate
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,016 reviews

Been to Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!