“Marvellous Margate Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Margate
London, United Kingdom
“Marvellous Margate Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed in room 2, a superior seaview room, on the first floor with a balcony.

Reasonable sized room with a large bathroom with separate large bath and walk in shower. Very clean and nicely furnished. Bed was firm but comfy. Room clean and well presented and we were delighted that the bed was turned down when we returned from dinner.

Dinner in the restaurant was very enjoyable, with dishes with local produce and a catch of the day in addition to a fish dish on the menu. Good range of beers on the drinks list. Great to see kippers on the breakfast menu as well as more standard options like porridge and the full English. Full length plate glass windows in the restaurant make for a stunning view and when the weather is warm enough there's a terrace to dine al fresco.

All the staff we encountered were friendly and attentive.

This isn't a cheap hotel, but has a great location and an impressive large roof terrace. The real treat for me though, was the excellent gelato bar on the lower ground floor which opens onto the promenade.

Great location, on the seafront and only a few minutes walk from the train station.

Room Tip: With an excellent large roof terrace, and a panoramic view from the restaurant even if you choose a...
1 Thank PootlingAround

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

It is difficult for a hotel to live up to consistent high level reviews, BUT our 3 day stay simply confirmed what other reviewers have stated. A superb hotel in all regards. Nothing more to add, but ask for a sea view to really add something extra to your stay.

Room Tip: Request a room at the front, overlooking Margate sands.
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

A truly exceptional hotel. We were very lucky with the weather and spent Saturday afternoon sunbathing on the roof terrace. Our room, although a town view, was airy, modern and very luxurious. Breakfast was delicious and the staff couldn't have been more friendly. Special mention for the complimentary head message which was such a treat! All in all a perfect weekend.

Ps highly recommend watching the Homes under the Hammer video on the TV in your room to see how the hotel was developed

• Stayed May 2014
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

We are a small family currently staying here for three nights.
If anyone is in any doubt about staying here, don't be, it's wonderful. The staff, the beautiful decor, the food, the rooms, the view from our second floor balcony. EVERYTHING. having stayed all over the world, this place holds it's own against anywhere. It's THAT good. Also, Margate is great and there is heaps to do. When we check out I'll leave another, more detailed review, but really. Come and give it a whirl, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: 2nd floor balcony room. BT the town rooms really good too, my mum is in one.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

we stayed at the sands hotel only for one night , I wish it was for more.
the hotel is very tastefully designed. it seemed to have a calming effect on me, which was just
what I needed after ending up in dover, instead of turning off at Canterbury to get to Margate.
The bedroom was lovely, the bedding seemed to be top quality, I slept really well, the only negative point I found was the bedside tables were to low and not wide enough, difficult to lower a hot cup of coffee on to them.
The restaurant was stunning and the view was priceless as far as I am concerned.
we had an evening meal which was of a very good standard. the only negative was how the waitress spoke to us, a little bit too "hey guys & no problem guys" this began to grate.
I thought it was good value for money (loved having a pre dinner drink in the lovely bar area)
I will definitely return but for longer oh and I will ask for the furry rug to be removed from
the edge of the bed (I kept tripping on it)

Room Tip: the attic room was great
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed last night at the Sands Hotel Margate...we had one of the sea view rooms..and it was aboslutely amazing. The room was beautiful, clean, and the attention to detail with the decoe was second to none. The staff were very well presented and excellent..especially Amy..who had a word with the chef who then gave a little surprise for my girlfriend as it was her birthday. Thank you all so much..was a lovely stay..and will stay again for sure...top class

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Karlct12
Gloucestershire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Definitely worth having a sea view - we had an attic seaview and did not mind that you had to stand to see the view as it added a bit of shelter as it was early May. Very quiet and relaxing. Don't let the approach to Margate put you off, i.e. the blot on the landscape which is the horrid grey high rise flats and some of the first sea front shops, apparently the Dreams amusement arcade is being sold and upgraded. I was so disappointed when we first arrived as I had heard that a lot of money had been spent but having walked around, the more I saw the more impressed I was - you can see where the money has been spent and they haven't finished yet. The Old Town was lovely - we sat out in the sun having a drink and snack (it was like being abroad)! Now to the hotel - well what can I say, my word it certainly had the "wow" factor, our room was tastefully decorated and although not cheap I can see why. The staff were immaculately turned out, very polite, very helpful and friendly. I don't agree with the previous reviewer that thought they were "too familiar" or that there did not seem to appear to have anyone there that was "in charge" - what about the restaurant manager? We found him very courteous, mindful of his staff and very professional. Breakfast was very good although we did not try the restaurant as we like to go out. All in all we had a wonderful stay, I would say one of our better bank holidays - so much so I didn't want to go home!

Room Tip: Definitely worth having a sea view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margate
Crescent Victoria Hotel
#1 of 4 in Whitstable
The Botany Bay Hotel
The Botany Bay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kingsgate

Been to Sands Hotel? Share your experiences!