All reviews roof terrace afternoon tea sea view super sunday jazz night margate sands separate shower lovely hotel kippers high street small balcony old town turner gallery boutique hotel overlooking the beach car park high standard
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have been wanting to come to this hotel for some time but been unable to get a room for the number of night I wanted and I was also holding out for a seaview. I am so glad I did. The view from room 9 was great. I would advise not to go for a Town view if views are important to you as the view is of closed down shops.
I enjoyed every aspect of my stay at the sands. We booked dinner on the Thursday Jazz night. The band were great (Dukes of Swing) and we had a chat with them after the show. One for the good thing about that evening was that when you have finished your meal you can still enjoy the show as the bar is at the back of the restaurant.
Our room was well styled and the bed was very comfortable. My Husband and I had a good night’s sleep. I would also recommend roof terrace. It’s a suntrap. We enjoyed a bottle of wine in the late evening sun.
For breakfast we really enjoyed the Eggs Benedict Arnold Bennet Omelette (with haddock and Cheese).
Thanks to all the staff at the Sands for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: room 9 has a lovely seaview
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I stayed at this lovely hotel for one night recently and had a brilliant stay. Contact with the hotel before our arrival was excellent. Having booked on Tripadvisor, I called the hotel after a couple of days to upgrade our room from a town view to a seaview. Surely enough, our room booking was in order. Talking about our arrival, we were welcomed by a stapler, lol! A little strange as no-one was manning the front desk – a security risk? A printed greeting was left at reception asking us to make our way to the restaurant on the first floor for assistance.

Having entered the restaurant, we quickly found a member of staff who could help, who checked us in within seconds, handed us a ticket for the carpark, and took our bags to our room while we parked the car. We were very impressed. The hotel has a loading bay on the main sea front entrance where you can park for a short period of time whilst checking in and there is a carpark on Market Street around the corner, a five minute walk at most.

Arriving back at the hotel, we made our way to room 7 which was a classic seaview. An absolutely lovely room. Spacious, with good furniture, modern and classy at the same time, with a lovely large bathroom with separate shower and good quality amenities and toiletries. There is a nice large flatscreen TV with lots of channels to choose from (freeview). There are plenty plug sockets in the room for phone/laptop chargers etc. The bedroom and bathroom have different lighting settings, a low light mood lighting effect and full light setting which is nice and bright. The incense sticks were a nice touch. There was also a safe and empty mini fridge in the room. We had a slight gripe with our bed – we had especially requested a king bed and had been promised the same, one of the reasons we upgraded our room, but alas we received two single beds pushed together. I tried to call reception for a while after arriving in our room but no answer. I’m guessing the staff member had returned to the restaurant to help there. As the rest of the room was lovely, we didn’t pursue it further at the time. Perhaps the hotel can confirm on their website or in some other information if any rooms do have a proper king bed or if all the “King” rooms have 2 single beds pushed together.

The restaurant was lovely. It really does have a great view overlooking the beach and sea. Seating can be indoors or outdoors on the terrace. We had breakfast there and it was overall very nice. I didn’t like the bacon in the full English – looked like it was cooked to death and tasted of leather. We were in a hurry as we had plans to head to Botany Bay so didn’t complain but the rest was lovely. My wife’s omelette made to order was very good too. There is a good selection of the normal cereals, croissants, cakes, yoghurt and fruit, juices etc too.

The location of the hotel is also very good, on the seafront and very close to lovely Old Town with its bars and restaurants. There are a few lovely shops nearby selling gifts too.

I would have given the hotel a 5 star review if it hadn’t been for the bed issue and I do recommend the hotel has a full time employee on the front desk. This is a quality hotel and you need a warm welcome for guests who often have traveled far to this location (we traveled 4 hours from Birmingham). It would also help guests who need assistance from reception when calling from their room! Otherwise, lovely stay and would easily stay here again. Its also worth the extra price tag, comparing to other hotels in Margate which appeared to be much cheaper on websites such as TripAdvisor and Booking.com.

Room Tip: Sea front rooms give lovely views
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Spent 2 nights in the Sands hotel. Staff is very supportive. Breakfast is great; specially when taken on the terrasse offering a view on the bay. The room was cosy on the second floor. Great hotel and good value.

• Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My partner and I wanted a simple but nice stay for a night in Margate. Compared to the other hotels we found online this was the only nice looking place. It was a little over our budget but for one night we're glad we committed! The staff were so friendly, and the hotel was beautiful. We didn't make the most of the spa, restaurant or terrace, but the room was just perfect and the full english breakfast was SO GOOD. The only downside was that our room was facing the street and as it was Saturday night there was very loud basey music while we were trying to sleep, but it didn't go on all night. If we're ever in Margate again we'll be going back to Sands Hotel for sure!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street on a Saturday were noisey...but cheaper than sea view.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

What can I say about the Sands hotel. There are many reviews on TA about hotels that when you go seem absurd in their gushing praise. This, however is not one of those situations. It is a very well curated elegant hotel with lovely well thought touches. Very nice enthusiastic staff. Alan the bar manager was excellent. Great location with a good selection of nice restaurants in walking distance. Breakfast was superb. We really couldn’t fault the hotel at all. Looking forward to returning

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple