“Friendly owners.”

Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Northumberland, United Kingdom
“Friendly owners.”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Everything very dated and a bit grubby. Breakfast fresh, hot, and lots of it. Owners very welcoming and friendly.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Dartford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2011

Do not stay here it’s an awful place. We only stayed as most other places were full, and we did not fancy driving back to London after a day at the seaside. It was truly, truly overpriced. The double bed was two single beds pushed together, not too big a deal you’d think, but the beds were different heights and so were the mattresses we both woke with sore backs. You had to forewarn the owners of what time you would be down for breakfast and call in the morning 15 mins before going down and tell them what you wanted. All the furniture was very dated and the room smelt damp and the window ledge and window pane covered in bird excreta. The TV was a small 1980s portable with no picture. Breakfast was Lidl`s own cereal, the milk was watered down or skimmed. The sausage was dreadful the cheapest they could find, 1 tea bag in a pot made to share between 2, had to ask for extra tea bags used 5 in the end as such cheap bags needed to brew the tea. All the food served was Luke warm the beans were actually cold. These people should not run a hotel in England.

Room Tip: Avoid all together
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GaryNSue
hotelpalmcourt, Owner at Palm Court Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2011
This is rather sad. The ulterior motive of these individuals is so obvious from their language. Nothing they have said is true. We are professionals. My wife studied catering in the Southeast London College and has a degree in Hotel Management . She is a full member of Hotel and Catering management Association (HCIMA) now known as Institute of Hospitality (IH). She worked in various hotels before we became hoteliers ourselves. I am a professional manager with a post-graduate degree in Management and an LLB Degree in Business Law.

These people must have booked a twin room . We only combine beds on request when no double rooms are available and to the satisfaction of "all" of the guests. The beds and mattresses are the same and when done the bed becomes a king-size bed and that is why we readily oblige. It is mainly to do our guests a favour, part of the good service, for which sane people are grateful for.

We have a policy and request that guests phone us 10 minutes before they come for breakfast, to tell us what they would like to have. To educated people, this has been seen to be excellent and popular policy. We like to treat our guest on individual basis. People may wake up later than anticipated. When they are able to call before breakfast and give us their choice of breakfast, they will come down to a hot breakfast without having to queue or come down to a cold, cooked breakfast. These people may have come later than their given time, which was their own fault.
We are a 2 star graded hotel (graded by professionals and not biggots) and we are proud of what we have and of our service to the industry. We are british and proud to be so. We have been in this business for over seven and a half years and we shall not be hindered by any biggottry from envious individuals.

Travellers are raving about these Margate hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

The SPA Jucuzzi and Gym were great,Breakfast was delicious,Room was clean and cozy with lovely sea views of the coast. Staff very friendly and accomodating nothing was too much trouble Recommended!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
7 Thank World_TravellrUK
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Looking at past reviews obviously always had a lot of complaints decor tired a bit scruffy and carpets and curtains dirty also the 2 single beds in our room were past their best very uncomfortable would not recommend it we only stopped there because we could not find any alternative accomodation nearby at premier inn or holiday inn and it was 9.30pm on a saturday night and we were getting desperate as we had come done to the Kent area at the last minute to try and get some sunshine-Owners not that friendly I think they are in the wrong job
Surrounding area very good though Canterbury cathedral is lovely and we strolled along Whitstable seafront too

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank heriot186334
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2008

I arrived late at night for stay of 25 nights on business and was met by the very friendly Gabrielle and his partner Julie. This is a prime example where pictures can be missleading. The hotel boasts a bar, gymnasium and other facillities and claims to be the smallest three star in the country.

Its actually 3 Rosettes - Not quite the same and maybe granted after the inspector had visted on a dark night and drunk copius amounts of wine or beer. The hotel requires complete redecoration inside and out. The low engergy light bulb rigged up at the enterance to highlight the English tourist board sign being the first worry.

The room I had was small and the TV from an age I cant recall. I gave up trying to get a picture. getting in and out the bathroom involved stepping back into the bedroom and reaching out for the bathroom door and manouvering yourself in and out of the room. There was water running down the cieling light rose from the room above. I was moved to a better larger room.

The bar is a fridge. You pay for your beer and they get it from the domestic fridge behind you. There are no optics or pumps you simply buy canned beer. all around towels covered glasses of odd sizes. The amount of clutter was crazy.

I had an evening meal - The chips were oven chips and several were burnt. I didnt bother ordering a desert.

The next day I had breakfast and the food was swimming in fat. The beans were sweeter than sugar - Toast cold and tea tepid. For the first time I actually heaved and almost vomited after the first mouthful. I left the rest on the plate.

I went to work dreading another night at the hotel and interupted my day to rush back and pack my bags. I have never packed my case so fast in my life. I would have rather spent the next three weeks sleeping in my car than take another night at this 'hotel'

The owners are very friendly and hospitable of that there is no doubt but they clearly have no grasp on the basic standards people expect from a hotel. I have stayed at many many hotels and no what I should expect from certain classifications of accomodation. I have left some hotels dissapointed after a stay but never have I ever felt the need to leave so quick.

So much work is needed to bring this hotel anywhere up to an acceptable standard that I would not know where to start. Close the hotel, Gut every room, get tradesmen in and start again.

I really believe though that the owners believe that they run a good quality hotel......So perhaps its more a question of education and training as much as renovation

• Liked — The only saving grace is the friendly manner of Gabrielle
  • Disliked — Where do I start!!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank sleepmaster1
warwickshire
Reviewed 6 August 2008

This hotel is very over priced. There was a lot of does and donts
which you do not expect when you are away for a break. The hotel as a whole wants a much needed makeover and bringing up to date. There is limited choice for breakfast thats if it comes at all. The bathroom would not pass a health and safety
inspection. Their administration is poor. A very disappointing stay.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank marybelle16
Also consider these accommodations in or near Margate
Travelodge Margate Westwood
#8 of 12 in Margate
Comfort Inn Ramsgate
Comfort Inn Ramsgate
#9 of 10 in Ramsgate

Been to Palm Court Hotel? Share your experiences!