“Marvellous Weekend”
Review of Smiths Court Hotel

Smiths Court Hotel
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Margate
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have stayed in hotels of far higher standing than the Smiths Court, and many of them would do well to look here for an example of how to run a hotel. I stayed with my wife and friends for a weekend away, and throughout the staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast is a buffet bar for cereal, fresh fruit and fruit salad etc. The cooked breakfast is cooked to order. Evening meals in the Orangery restaurant were fantastic, with a standard menu supplemented by daily specials. Orders for evening meals were taken in the bar, and then the party was called through when the first course was ready to be served, although we could have chosen to sit down and order if we had wished. I have to say I was impressed with the en suite kitchen, although I suspect not all rooms have this facility! It is just a shame our stay was too short to warrant it's use. I have to say I wasn't overly attracted to Margate itself, but there are plenty of other attractions within a short drive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank barbicantrader
TonyBurton, Owner at Smiths Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review of the hotel. I don't think there is much better praise than holding us up as an example of how to run a hotel, and for that we thank you. We are happy that you enjoyed the breakfast and evening meal, as well as the rooms, and we hope that if you are ever in our neck of the woods again that you pop by and stay with us again.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed here for two nights in Feb....don't know where to start!! Reception on arrival was curt and rude. Room was like something from a time warped,albeit clean and sufficed. Breakfast service first morning was farcical....no staff to be seen, no fruit or yoghurt as per menu and when we asked for some was offered a banana or apple. When we stated we assumed it would be a fruit salad,we were told we only do that every other day...obviously the wrong day! No staff or fruit appeared the next day either however by which time we had lost the will to live. Put this one down to experience I think!!

2  Thank Sue W

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We are glad you found the room clean, although most reviewers who have mentioned the Executive rooms have found the bay window with sea view, the large seating area and the new bed worth mentioning, especially after a free upgrade to the executive room.

We were interested to read that you didn't see any staff, as my wife and I sat you and served you for breakfast. We offered you a piece of fruit before bringing you a bowl of fresh fruit salad from the kitchen, along with the cold buffet and the cooked breakfast.

You also mentioned that you had enjoyed your stay and didn't experience any problems when you checked out with us, but we will also put this down to experience.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed in this hotel, & thoroughly enjoyed our stay from start to finish. The welcome we received from the staff was excellent. The food was fantastic. Lovely sea view from our room. Complimentary bottle of champagne & chocolates were left in our room when we had finished our meal, lovely touch. We will certainly stay here again & again.

Room Tip: The sea rooms are excellent. Large comfortable bed with large television.
3  Thank sandraRamsgate

Thank you for your great 5 star review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the food, the meal and the room. We would look forward to welcoming you back again and again!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

my husband I stayed on the 10th February for our anniversary break, the room was large and spotless with a good sized en-suite. Plenty of sachets of coffee, tea, sugar and sweeteners, pkt of biscuits, and cartons of milk. We had a meal in the orangery restaurant where the waiter was attentive but not cloying, I had the cod portugeize, lovely, and my husband had the pork tenderloin which he thoroughly enjoyed. A good night sleep was had in a large bed which was one of the most comfortable I have slept in, nice and quiet and with views that looked over the sea. I would stop again.

Room Tip: if you can get a room at the front, plenty to see and two comfortable chairs to gaze out to the sea...
3  Thank linda m

Thank you for your lovely review of the hotel. We are delighted that you ate in The Orangery restaurant and enjoyed the seasonal food on offer. We are happy you found the room large, clean and that you had a great night's sleep.

Again, we thank you for your words, and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I booked a £35 room via bookings.com. It is an old seaside hotel in cliftonville with a sea view. For £35 it was perfectly acceptable. The staff were fantastic and very courteous. The food so so.
The hotel is old and tired hence the price and the bedroom was pretty dated with an old bathroom.
The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank nitricoxide

Thank you for your review of the hotel. We are glad that the staff made your stay. We are constantly looking to renovate our rooms, and as I'm sure you can gather this is an ongoing process. We feel that our winter £35 rate for bed and breakfast is unbeatable, and we are glad that you took advantage of such a good deal.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Booked this hotel last minute on Friday the 17th January when returning from Europe and was not disappointed. Being self employed when staying out due to work I look for low cost value for money hotels and Smiths Court offered just that; In a nutshell;

- Ample free parking (could see my vehicle from the room)
- Lovely welcome on check in
- Room fine warm, Tea & coffee facilities, good TV, clean & fresh linen, warm shower
- Double glazing in bedroom ensuring a great nights sleep
- A modern and welcoming breakfast room and a nice breakfast
- A friendly check out.

And for all this I paid £35.00... A very simple operation but with some very friendly & professional staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank timmyYorkshire

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your room, the breakfast and the staff, and we hope that if you return to Margate on business that you will stay with us again in the future!

Reviewed 17 January 2014

My wife and myself needed an after Christmas break, my wife found Smiths Court hotel on line so we booked 2 nights there (9th - 11th Jan), I read the reviews and they all painted a very good picture of this lovely hotel (there was 1 review obviously written by someone who had got out of the bed the wrong side that morning).
The room was lovely and clean, spacious and quiet, it had a marvellous view of the sea just what we wanted. Food was first class served with a genuine smile, the staff were always around smiling which adds to the good all round feeling of the hotel, will defo be back sometime soon.
On the hotel website they say that "nothing is overlooked except the sea view", I couldn't have out it better myself.
Thank you for the lovely break.

Room Tip: Must choose a seaview.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Azinspud

Thank you so much for your kind words. We are delighted that you enjoyed the room, the food and the service. We would welcome you back any time, and hope that you do come to see us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Margate
Walpole Bay Hotel
Sherwood Hotel
Sherwood Hotel
#6 of 12 in Margate
Travelodge Ramsgate Seafront

Been to Smiths Court Hotel? Share your experiences!