“Didnt like and we will not be going back”
Review of Nayland Rock Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Margate
Nayland Rock Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Margate
kent
“Didnt like and we will not be going back”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The lady was friendly when we arrived.
Basic shower.............hot and cold taps. One small bottle of mouthwash, tiny bar of soap and basic plastic cup.
Curtains falling apart, dirty carpets, one carton of milk for tea. Teaspoons dirty. I think the bed linen was as old as the buidling. (the building must have been beautiful in its time)
Cash only...................................... Had booked in for breakfast......................but decided to eat elsewhere.
Liked the seaview though...........
Will not be going back and will not recommend staying there to anyone else.
Very, very poor value for the money we actually paid.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank meagainKent

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Minehead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2011

We arrived late in the evening, and were given keys to our rooms the lady was very friendly, my sons room was not great and found a pair of someone elses pants in a drawer there. my room was not very pleasant at all stains all over the carpet, my son came to my room to say his window was open and the wind was howling through it..we managed to get it closed a bit more but the clasps would not click into place..i returned to my room and went to bed, to be woken by a loud bang! and wind howling in to my room the curtains were flying uptp the ceiling as the sash window had dropped down, i tried to call down to reception but room phone not working. soi had to get dressed and go down to reception where i explained to an elderly gent on reception, he came up to the room and tried to get the window shut but it was stuck open, i then tried helping him close it and got it nearly shut but the clasps would not go into place to keep it shut. he then said he could not give me another room as they were full. he went to get another man to help...they then held the window shut and hammered SCREWS! into the UPVC window frame....when they had left i needed a cup of tea so put the kettle on but it didnt work...the next morning i had a shower and went to sit at the dressing table to get ready for breakfast. i sat on the only chair in the room and the seat fell through and i landed on the floor hurting my back! as the seat was not secured to the frame...i went abd reported this and was told i could of had a refund if she had not already done her invoices. i then found out breakfast was not included in the price..the manager apologised and said i should have been offered another room, i explained that the gent the night before had said they were full. she was suprised by this as they had a lot of empty rooms...she offered me a free stay if i came back again...NOT MUCH CHANCE OF THAT!!!.....i dont really have any good things to say, as Magate is really run down too......

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank buddy037

Travellers are raving about these Margate hotels

Kent
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I arrived quite late in the evening and booked a single room with a very kindly, friendly old gent who informed me that they would were almost fully booked and that I would be staying in "not one of their best rooms". For £35.00 a night (no breakfast included) I wasn't hugely bothered about that.

It was pretty poor in all honesty. The room was full of furniture that really has no place in anywhere apart from a skip. Paint is peeling, mirrors are chipped, carpets are well-worn, colours are faded - it reminded me of a documentary I saw about a homeless shelter that was furnished with second-hand items. The bed was old but not too bad and the sheets were fresh and clean.

By the guilty look on the old gent's face, they are clearly very aware that the hotel is in a poor conidtion that needs a major overhaul. The location and exterior are excellent and this hotel was clearly something in it's heyday but now, it is tired, worn and threadbare; I wouldn't describe myself as overly fussy either but this was quite a disappointment. The corridors and interior are pretty ok generally, nothing like the rooms themselves.

With the Turner Centre and Dreamland Heritage Park opening in 2012, Margate badly needs quality hotels - this could be so much more.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Dunmall
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2010

I had booked in for 6 nights b and b. On arrival I was asked for payment up front. After having paid I was told they had made a mistake with my booking and the price I had paid was for room only. Breakfast would be an extra £3.50 per night. I declined. I was given a room upgrade to compensate. The room was dire: dirty threadbare carpet, dirty french windows, the balcony, which could have been beautiful, was dirty with dilapidated tables and chairs, the catch to the small window was broken and so it could not be closed, curtain falling off on one side and very difficult to open and close, no room service to speak of - I was there from Sunday to Saturday, the waste bin was emptied twice and tea bags replenished once, there were two hand towels, no bath towel, hand towels not changed all week, toilet roll not replaced as needed, no bedside lamp, bed not made throughout my stay - except by me - and that was the worse thing, the most uncomfortable bed imaginable, springs digging into my back all night. I hardly set eyes on anyone while I was there, staff or guests. Margate is extremely rundown and you would imagine that every effort would be made to keep guests onside if not happy. This was not the case at this hotel. It was like an empty shell.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank ana_mariposa77
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2010

For what it's worth, I am just writing this as a comment and have not staid there in 50 years.
rover34 commented that they would like to have seen the hotel in it's heyday.
My wife and I staid there for one week in 1959 and it was absolutely first class. I would have classified it as a four star.
If I ever get back there I would like to stay there again to bring back some good memories.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DodiLamb
Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Although the hotel does appear to need a lot of money spent on it, what we paid was just about right. The staff were lovely and friendly. Yes, the hotel is a bit worn, "faded and shabby splendour " is how I summed it up to my husband. However, the beds were clean, the shower worked although there was no shampoo supplied and I had not taken any with us. However, all in all,we could have stayed somewhere more grand, but we did not want to pay any more money, so we found it adequate. I would be pleased to stay there again when, hopefully , it will have been upgraded. Could have been cleaner, eg: the bathroom bin had not been emptied from the previous occupants. However, Carol and her husband are doing their best to make a go of it, good luck to them and I hope things improve for them. After all, money is short these days and these two nice people, not forgetting Cyril, are working hard. I would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dublin57
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Booked into the hotel by phone and when we arrived expecting a small guest house we were surprised to see a huge Victorian Hotel. The external facade and car park looked ominous but, heh, we stayed in cheap hotels in France!
I was taken aback when we were asked for the money up front, "something strange here", I thought. Took out cards but was told they didn't have card facilities. Stranger still, considering it's such a large hotel.
Carol was very polite and chatty and after showing us the restaurant, which looked functional, and pointing out the bar, which looked hopeful she then directed us to our balcony room. It looked promising!
It all went downhill from there. Climbing the stairs which needed painting and a new carpet, expecting a reasonably large room, we opened the door to a sight we didn't expect. Our eyes were immediately drawn to the french window doors which should have had the seaview but the dirty smear across the glass made them useless and the curtain across the window hanging down on one side. The room was narrow with a double bed which at first appearance was a mattress on the floor. It didn'y look good for sleeping in. The two chairs either side of the bed were the nearest thing to a bedside table and they were filthy, as was the carpet, and the shower room was indescribable because my wife took one look and declared there was no way she was staying in this hotel and walked out swiftly followed by me.
We now realise why they wanted the money up front!
I feel sorry for the new owners. I appreciate they are trying to build a new business up and this one will take loads of money to get it up to standard. It's a pity as the hotel is in a great location. If there are better rooms, we weren't offered one and we didn't stay to find out so we can't comment on the food, service or staff.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple