“Not that impressed”
Review of The Dering Arms

The Dering Arms
Reserve with OpenTable
The Dering Arms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Pluckley
Price range: US$13 - US$46
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Reservations
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Not that impressed”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Bar and restaurant had so little lighting it was dark even though we went for lunch in the middle of the day, actually moved some lamps near our table. Very expensive menu i had the "cheaper" option Ham egg and chips which was £9.95! Sorry but only popped in for lunch and spent a fortune for an okay meal in the dark, not impressed sadly.

3 Thank LadyBeth123
Chomeley, Owner at The Dering Arms, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
I am sorry that you could not see very well. There are picture lights all around and candles on the tables, usually enough light for most and giving a cosy atmosphere !
Our ham is home cooked, the chips triple cooked and the eggs free range large !
At £9.95 a great rib filler ! And, very popular !

Ashford, United Kingdom
“Great Meal at a lovely old pub”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

After originally deciding not to go out on New year's eve, a few days before we decided with the rain and wind, it would be nice to have a great meal in a rustic setting, with very friendly people early in the evening, and then go and watch the fireworks on TV. As the Dering Arms fitted that bill perfectly, we phoned them expecting to get turned down, but they could fit us in. We got there on time and were greeted cordially by the host, Jim. After sitting at the bar for a while enjoying a lovely Valpolicella, we ordered and then moved to our table near an open fire. Starters were grilled prawns, mine with garlic and lemon butter, my wife's with lemon butter. They were large and succulent, and I could easily have had another few and skip mains! For mains, I had a delicious Dover sole, and my wife had a couple of Dabs. The best chips came with and fresh veg to enjoy. The best of all was the dessert, delicious rounds of oranges with a caramel sauce, and vanilla ice cream. Coffees followed by warm goodbyes and good wishes for the New Year from Jim and his partner, Penny, made sure we'll be back soon!

• Visited December 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Closes early on Sundays!”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My husband, two dogs and I had just completed the Pluckley circular walk, which was recommended on Time Out. We had parked our car next to The Dering Arms, which looked absolutely lovely when I had checked in earlier to see if they were dog-friendly, but when we came in later we were informed they had stopped serving food a half an hour before - at 3pm!

I know I was tired and not my most pleasant, but when I was told in an a condescending voice, "This is the country," as if us poor city folk couldn't possibly understand, I got very grumpy. Now, it's important to note here that I grew up in in a farming town of 150 people, so I think I understand "the country."

I asked if they knew of anywhere else close by that was serving food. They said everyone else close by closed early on Sundays as well. We drove to another nearby pub, and although they had stopped serving food as well, they were happy to suggest another place just a few miles away that they knew was still serving food. We drove on and had a lovely meal at the pub in Egerton complete with roaring fire and a solid Sunday roast with friendly staff and patrons. Not gourmet, but an oasis at the end of a long day.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Cyd C
Chomeley, Owner at The Dering Arms, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
I'm sorry that you feel my husband was condescending when he explained to you that you might not get a hot meal at 3.30 pm on a Sunday in the Pluckley area. When you came in on the Sunday morning you asked if we excepted dogs, I said yes in 2 of our bar areas. You told me (Penny) that you MIGHT, be back for lunch. You never asked me if we served food all day or to what time. The times of opening hours etc are on the outside wall, for everyone to read! Also on our website.

You have not mentioned in your review about the 3 guys that were in the bar when you arrived. They had come in about 5 mins before you. When you walked in you were chatting to them, as you had met them on the same walk. They had also asked us for lunch. The kitchen was closed but I had offered them cheeseboards and desserts, which they were happy with. Your husband wanted to stay and have the same, but when MY husband told you that the kitchen was closed you got stroppy, SWORE under your breath and kept your head in your phone. Your husband wanted to stay and sit by the fire you wanted to go and have ONLY fish for lunch. I said you would probably not find a pub serving at this time of day.

I said you should probably try Tenterden (15 mins away). Funny that you ended up eating a roast when nothing else would do, but fish.

You were very rude and swore!!! You were not the best customer of the day.

We are a small family run business. We stayed open till 5.30 so our 3 guys could keep warm till there train arrived to take them back to London!!!
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“seriously overrated”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I disliked everything. for the price they charge you , you are right to expect a friendly staff and a real good food. instead of that , you have a food that any bad pub offer to you . no imagination in the choice of menus, food over cooked and bland. run people run that is a scam

Visited November 2013
7 Thank Murielle S
kent
“Good service, nice location, disappointing food”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My wife & I went to the Dering Arms without checking with Tripadvisor first. As it was midweek there wasn't any problem getting a table and the clientelle was at a minimum so service wasn't a problem. The waiting staff were pleasant, welcoming and helpful so it looked promising...... We asked for bread which arrived and was fresh, home made and delicious.

I had Crab Newburg (or scrambled egg with crabmeat) to start and luckily I had a spoon as it was more soup than scrambled egg, very tasty and creamy just not cooked enough! It was followed by skate wing in caper butter. The wing was served upside down (thin side to the top) with a handful of capers on top, but it was floating on a sea of butter (5mm across the whole plate) and gave me a nausious 'grease-rush'. The skate tasted of nothing which I can only presume meant it was either previously frozen or was at the end of its saleability. My wife had mussels, they tasted a bit fishy and several hadn't opened then seared scallops for her main that were also fishy (unless it was a hangover from the mussels), a couple had been seared properly and actually looked good with the rest having been cut into pieces and scattered over the plate.

Whether the chef was having the day off or 'an off-day' I dont know but we decided to call it a day, skip dessert and go home. The cost for the meal with 2 pints of lager and a gin & tonic came to a staggering £70, taking into account no dessert, as the price is bulked up by having to order vegetables for each dish which you might expect at a London fine dining experience but not at a 'pub' in a Kent village.

In my opinion the food was way below average and I would not recommend eating here to friends and family.

• Visited October 2013