“Great local restaurant”

Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Rainham
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Eight is an intimate restaurant based in the centre of Rainham Kent. We can accommodate large parties in our upstairs restaurant and have a bar area for a pre or post dinner drinks.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have visited Eight as a couple and in a small group of friends and have been impressed with the service and food both times. Great restaurant in very convenient location, we would highly recommend.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Despite working in Rainham, this was my first visit to Eight and, having heard promising reports on the venue, had been looking forward to it. Being in a group of seven, it meant a variety of food could be judged, and in consideration of my personal experience and the comments of my fellow diners, I would think that the name of the establishment probably reflects it's performance out of ten.
The premises are relatively small and serene, an ambience endorsed by the pleasant staff, and this is probably what keeps such businesses thriving; many prefer the family orientated country gastro-pubs with their naturally larger selection of drinks, gardens and competitive prices but for those who seek a central location away from a pub atmosphere then places like Eight will always survive. Some might consider the service a tad slow but personally I always see this as a positive since I consider eating out to be an event rather than a convenience. My only criticism of this establishment was the toilet facilities - one was out of action and looked like a builders yard (a closed door with a sign on it would have sufficed until repairs had been finished) and the resulting over-use of the remaining cubicle meant it offered nothing to enhance the visit. However, I'm sure that the attentive staff will be working on the issue prior to my next booking.

1  Thank Richard G
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Checked out trip advisor and saw that Eight had become number one restaurant in Rainham with lots of good reviews, so decided to give it another try, I had the the ribs, quite nice but the chef should go to The Old Mill in Ashford to see how to serve ribs properly, coleslaw was nice and freshly made, salad was ok, not over fussed on the Aunt Bessie chips, out of the freezer, mashed potato made into chip shapes and coated in something slightly crunchy.
My wife have the mushroom risotto good size portion but slightly bland, she said would have been better in white wine sauce, in the cream sauce it was more like rice pudding, she ordered a salad to accompany it, this was slightly limp and rather overpriced. Service was good so all in all better than last time but probably won't go back.

2  Thank Baldersontour
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Having eaten at Eight on several occasions now, I can would definitely recommend this restaurant. The food is very good, with a varied menu that changes regularly. The staff are friendly and welcoming and there's a good feel about the place.

Service can be on the slow side if the chef is also catering for diners in the private room upstairs. However, on both occasions that this has happened to us, the staff were clearly aware of the situation and as well as apologising to all diners. offered a free drink or a reduction on the drinks bill.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Last night I took my friend out to celebrate her birthday and we visited Eight in Rainham for the first time. I had walked by many times and wondered what it would be like.

Well we tried it. We called in early so it wasn't busy so service was very prompt. We were welcomed with a lovely smile and shown to our table. We ordered drinks, which came immediately. We were then offered lovely hot rolls and butter.

We perused the menu and we both chose the sea bass. A difficult choice as it all looked good. What a delight. It was very well presented with crushed new potatoes, green beans, small plum tomatoes and a lovely herby butter sauce.

For pudding I had a lemon tart with Chantilly cream and it looked very pretty. My friend had a chocolate brownie pud with the Chantilly cream and a chocolate sauce.

They were both delightful. We both said that we would have to go again to sample the rest of the menu.

All in all we had a lovely evening. It is well worth a visit