“Outstanding”

Royal St. George's Golf Club
Reviewed 5 October 2013

everything about Royal St George's is top quality but the stand out feature is the catering and bar under David's stewardship which is unsurpassable.

1  Thank Bwdrichards
in 12 reviews
"caddy"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Great golf course and also very friendly and helpful staff. The pro lent me a pair of golf shoes when I realsied I had left mine in the locker room at Deal the previous day.

Course is a real challenge and is fair too, its a decent length 6600 of the medals and 7200 off the championship. No easy holes.

Could not have been made more welcome. The lunch is possibly the best in golf.

One negative is that although you need jacket and tie for lunch (which we did after the first round of golf), you also needed jacket and tie to get into the bar (after round two) for a drink afterwards, which we didn't bother to do.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Played 2 days at at what I feel should be rated in the top 5 in uk and Ireland . Fabulous greens , wonderful natural terrain , a true links and that bit of formality for lunch - jacket and tie in the dining room etc makes RSG a special place in Golf heaven . Welcoming friendly staff and members add to this great experience .

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I play golf off of 4. I thought I could play the game a little bit. Royal St Georges sowed me that I have liitle idea of how to REALLY play. The toughest fairest most AWESOME Golf course ever, I felt like a little boy again. All the staff were great, lovely facilities.......If you love Golf you simply must get on it and get a sense of just HOW GOOD the Open Championship players really are!! Its not cheap...........but we'll all be dead soon......Do it!

1  Thank Steve M
See more reviews
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Every time I come back to the UK I try to play at least one open course.
RSG's was one I hadn't played before and was looking forward to immensely
I have to be honest and say that perhaps my experience was tainted by the top golfing experiences in my homeland of New Zealand.
Matt I firstly say that all of the staff were fantastic, without exception.
The course was in good condition, although I was disappointed with the speed of the greens, I really expected better pace in early June, but they barely ran at 9 ish on the stimp in my opinion.
I was also disappointed by the fact that RSG's seem to openly neglect the fact that most of the rest of the world is metric.
It may not sound like much but after you have had to pay for a course planner after green fees of £170, then they haven't bothered to put meter options on it or the sprinkler heads, it does get annoying.
No one likes to rush around a great course like this or feel they are holding others up, however at RSG's the course planner makes you have to stand on the tee and complete various subtraction calculations in order to figure out where the various hazards or run out areas are, before even hitting a ball.
Then on several blind holes one must literally run up the path to have any idea of where to aim.
This resulted in our two ball taking nearly 5 hours!
For this money I expected more, surely the days of sacrificing one round to get a feel for a course are gone for the second round are gone?
I also found it strange that for this price one had to pay for range balls to warn up?
In my country for anything remotely this price this sort of thing is included.
Lastly and almost as strange, when we finished our game at 3 ish there was no way at all to get anything to eat except a small bowl of peanuts.
Maybe I'm picky but is it too much too ask to get a sandwich for this level of green fee?
To summarize, the course was good, very good, but not great compared to all the others on offer for less.
The staff were great.
Value for money, very average.
I'm afraid this course lives on it's laurels, great reputation, great history but a refusal to supply what really should be a part of a great experience for anyone from anywhere.
I'm not really sure the people running the course honestly want you there, more perhaps feel they ought to allow you to be there rather than include you?
I played many various courses for less than one third of this, all of whom were actually more rewarding in almost all respects.
Perhaps I built it up in my mind to be better than anything else because I am also British, I just get the feeling that a few open championship courses are now charging more for nostalgia than a quality experience.
I really enjoyed you RSG's, but you should have been great, and you weren't, sorry!

3  Thank jock h