“Disappointed”

Holiday Inn Sittingbourne
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
Reviewed 6 October 2013

To be fair having stayed here before and enjoyed our stay but this time severely disappointed - being a social outcast (a smoker) that if you had a deluxe room you could have a smoking room therefore i booked this and paid the extra to have the deluxe room for this upon check in we were informed that the whole hotel was non smoking and had been since it opened so why exactly was i paying more for a room that was no different what so ever accept with about 10 ft more empty space with nothing in it, than the standard room we had last time, unfortunately things just went down hill from there, the room its self was very clean but sparce, the amenities in the deluxe room were very basic for example supplying a sky box which shows no more channels than the digital tv in the room (pointless!) when then discovered the air con was not working we informed reception and they were calling maintenance but no body bothered so when we returned late that evening it was still not working and now too late to do anything about it, every member of staff that we saw looked like they would rather be anywhere else other than working and had a matching attitude, after a very hot and restless nights sleep we were very much looking forward to a shower in what i must be fair and say was a nice bathroom but there was a problem dispite the booking clearly being for 2 people there was only 1 towel which would not normally be an issue as we would just call reception but no one answered the phone at all on the 4 times i called - the only saving grace to this over night stay was the gentleman who brought us room service was very polite and happy
Very disappointing for a well known chain that charges accordingly for that

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Victoria M

Reviewed 2 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel Friday and Saturday night just gone and was very impressed. Lovely hotel, modern rooms with ambient lighting and electric blinds with an amazing bathroom. The bed was so comfortable and had the best nights sleep. Free access to WiFi throughout the hotel (this is done through username and password given at reception), although our room 232 didn't receive a good signal.
There is a very good sized car park so parking shouldn't be a problem.
The only problem is there is a function room in the hotel that is used for everything and anything, whilst we were there, there were a lot of teenagers hanging around in the lobby.

All in all a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
Mohammed A, Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at The Coniston.
I have passed on your kind comments to all members of the hotel who work hard to ensure that all our guest leave happy

Look forward to welcoming you back to The Coniston in the near future

Kind regards
Mohammed Azam
GM

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Just recently spent an overnight stay at this recently refurbished hotel. The rooms are of good spec and extremely clean with good quality bedlinen and a very comfortable large double bed.
The food was of good quality and apart from the dining room being too cold for my liking, the overall impression of this hotel was very nice. In particular I would like to mention the staff being very pleasant, friendly, welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Paul N, Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for comments we hope to see you back at the Coniston soon.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

My daughter and I were in Sittingbourne for my Dad's 70th birthday. I have stayed in many hotels around the world, including Best Westerns, which are usually fine. When we arrived, reception had no key cards, so we were unable to get into our room. After travelling down from Manchester it would have been nice to freshen up before going out with my parents, but we only had time to put our bags in our room and leave again.

There were 2 parties going on in the hotel, and even on the second floor, we could hear everything! The music was very loud and the DJ even louder. I called reception to ask them to get the music turned down as we wanted to get to sleep. Nothing happened. After another 15 mins, I got dressed and went downstairs to complain. The manageress did not seem very interested,. saying that I should expect noise in a hotel! It was only when I told her that this was the worst hotel that I had ever stayed in that she listened, although her key line was that the music would stop at midnight!

Breakfast was another dis-organised experience. When we arrived, there were no tables so we were asked to wait. When we did get in, about 10 mins later, there was very little hot food left. We got down 30 mins before breakfast was due to be over. I asked if more food would be coming, and was told that it would. It arrived in dribs and drabs, so I had my cooked breakfast in 2 sittings.

It is such a shame as the decor is fresh and modern, the beds are comfortable, the food was good and the staff were generally very friendly, but the opportunity to make this a great experience was completely missed.

My daughter's view was that the look of the place was a poor attempt to detract from the dis-organisation.

I would suggest that Best Western invests in sound proofing the party rooms, puts systems in place to manage supply and demand of their various services and ensures that there are sufficient staff to cope with the number of people staying.

Bathroom doors have no lock and do not shut properly, and the walls are opaque!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is away from the function suites and the courtyard
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Karen B

Dear Karen,
Thank you for letting us have your thoughts, you have raised a number of valid points to which we will investigate and discuss with the team on site.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Following my visit to the Coinston Hotels events / party night Las Vegas themed.... term used very loosely.. a dine and entertain type evening, I feel the need to raise issue in a couple of areas, 1, the menu was little more than eat it or go without, ( I went without ) the chef clearly lacks imagination and skill, after not taking more than a tea spoon of the claimed "Cream of Potato and Leek soup" and getting a belt of peppered dishwater the meal continued with the main course "Steamed Chicken Breast" which had to be the toughest old bird from Sittingbourne I have come across served on a bed of watery mashed potato and formerly frozen slithers of Carrot & green beans, and then the highlight of deserts a neat cheap nest of sweet cream and 5 of the smallest pieces strawberry you can imagine ( complements to the chefs knife skills ) at no point where we asked why we had left over 95% of the meal, or if we had enjoyed it, the limited menu did offer a vegetarian option advertised as Mushroom risotto but a vegetable stew was served ! this was changed 15 minutes later tot he advertised risotto but sadly those that had opted for the other choice had either eaten it or given up trying to eat it, I did feel for the waiting staff whom worked very hard to leave as many plates and glasses on the tables as possible at least that way you thought the next table was having a wonderful time, Thankfully the entertainment started, dear god they tried ....... however not at mimicking the stars of the sands hotel or those that have worked the boards at Circus Circus, but with the hint of an amateur night in a back street drag bar, is it really right to put on stage a 4 year old child at 11pm ?? lost for words on that staged idea. Will we be booking our Christmas party there ... NO, will we give it another chance to prove it can put together a menu ... NO would we recommend the Coinston to anyone ( even those we dislike ) NO! In short the Coinston got it very wrong we did not need a licensed doorman to stand and stare at us all from the corner of the chilly dining room, nor did we need to be ignored by the ( I am guessing ) duty manager, but hey ho thankfully we had ordered cabs at 10.30 so we could leave, I do feel for those whom stayed ....

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Iain2525

Dear Reviewer,
I am concerned that you have not given the hotel the opportunity to rectify your issues outlined in your review. I appreciate your comment that you were not asked; however, if you were so disappointed with any of the food offered I cannot understand why you left without telling anyone. On the whole the evening was a great success and many guests have booked for the next event already and have complimented the food and the evening albeit your comments suggest the opposite. We are a very approachable and adaptable team who go out of their way to accommodate guest needs – please call me if you wish to discuss

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I have stayed in a variety of hotels across the UK, Europe and South Africa and I can honestly say that my one night at the Best Western Plus The Coniston Hotel was the most unpleasant stay of them all especially when The Coniston promises at pleasant stay. to put it bluntly my shed has more sound proofing than the rooms. My wife and I were kept up all night by noisy neighbours (which reception said they will ask them to keep quite and they didn't bother telling them) and hearing every door open and close with annoying loud squeaks. I have emailed the Gerneral Manager Paul Noble a week ago and have yet to receive a response from him - clearly there is disregard for customers here. I would highly recommend not staying here!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Paul D

Dear Paul,
Unfortunately I have not received your email as If I had I would certainly of made contact with you. Please accept my apologies for the noise the adjoining room made during your stay, clearly any guest making a disturbance would have been asked to consider other guests which I am confident the night team would have done, I would be happy to discuss this with you over the phone, or if you can resend your email I will gladly investigate your concerns.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Following the sat nav, the direction 'you have reached your destination' was heard just as I drove past the entrance to the hotel. It is not easy to see from the main road so slow down when you get near and look for the rows of lights that are each side of the drive.
We spent two nights at the Best Western Coniston and found the experience both relaxing and enjoyable.
The reception staff were courteous and helpful and made us feel welcome as soon as we entered. The hotel has a definite modern theme with quirky furniture and bright colour schemes. Our room was no different. The en-suite bathroom was part of the room with just a frosted glass screen separating it and no lock on the door. The recessed lighting gave a warm feel and the electric blind on the window with a control near the bed was a great feature.
We had dinner in the restaurant and made the most of the meal deal on offer which included two three course meals and a bottle of wine. The quality was better than expected considering the low cost and the wine was excellent. The only small complaint was that the soup did not come with a roll, but I'm sure the waitress would have supplied one had I asked.
We had a very good nights sleep with no noise evident from the main road outside.
Breakfast next morning had to be paid for as we did not have it included within the booking. Prices are a bit high, especially for the full English which is an extra £5 with limited choice. We had the continental version which had a good selection of fruit, cereal and breads.
We had a function to attend in the town which proved a bit too far to walk, but plenty of local taxis are available and it's only a 5 minute drive into the centre.
Apart from the small issues at dinner and breakfast, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would definitely book it again if we ever come back this way.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank damasinnas

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on the hotel, it seems overall you were happy with the product and services and I hope to see you the next time you visit Sittingbourne.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
#2 of 6 in Sittingbourne
Travelodge Medway M2
Travelodge Medway M2
#2 of 2 in Rainham

Been to Holiday Inn Sittingbourne? Share your experiences!