“If only this place had a gym...”

Holiday Inn Sittingbourne
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Dirvers, as you head down the road into Sittingbourne, keep a sharp look out on the left for the entrance to the car park. If you reach the Shell garage, you've gone too far by about 50 yards or so.
There's ample parking at this place and the hotel itself is very modern looking from the outside and on the inside.
The reception staff were very friendly and soon had me on my way to my room.
The room itself was one of the best I have stayed in while I have been travelling over the last 2 years with work. Spacious, well kitted out (including mood lighting and electric black out blinds for those that want that kind of thing), with a very modern bathroom and a really good shower. Enough said about the room. Couldn't fault it. I even got an Easter Egg as I arrived on Easter Monday.
Young Jon working down in the bar deserves a special mention as being exceptionally polite, friendly and professional. The bar itself, in keeping with the rest of the hotel was clean and modern and wasn't overpriced either (for a hotel) with a pint of Stella coming in at £3.85. I also had a good chilli burger in the bar which was also reasonably priced.
Sittingbourne is only a 15 minute walk away however, with the mandatory Wetherspoons serving very good beer and a more than passable steak for much less.
Breakfast was really good with a good selection of good quality food and very friendly staff in the restaurant
All in all, if this place had had a gym or a pool, this would have been a 5 star rating from me and that's the only thing marking it down. Everything else was faultless, including the mandatory free wi-fi which you always get with a Best Western, and should I be back in the Sittingbourne area again, I will definitely be staying at the Coniston.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank BUCKETHEAD218
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Coniston for your accommodation needs during your recent trip to the area.

The team and I were delighted to read all the positive comments posted about the Best Western Plus Coniston regarding the room, food, service and staff.

With reference to the signage and the Gym, I am pleased to say that we have already made some changes to the signage and it’s positioning to make it more visible on approach and are considering putting in a mini gym on the mezzanine floor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Coniston in the near future

Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel is very modern looking and functional. The hotel isn't trying to be something it's not, It has a modern look and feel to it so there isn't a lot of character. However the staff were fantastic and very kind. Upon our arrival the Easter bunny had left some Easter eggs in the room for us to enjoy along with a hand written Easter card from management which really was a very welcoming touch. I feel that the staff at The Coniston are what makes it.

The rooms where very nice and the beds are amazing I think our bed was a super king and so comfortable to sleep in. The only real downside with the room was the en-suite was glass petitioned and the door just swings open and closed with no lock so privacy is an issue. I would just say make sure your comfortable with the person your travelling with! That said, the facilities where easily 4* and the service staff do an excellent job.

Over all we would stay here again because this really is a nice place and the staff were brilliant.

Thank you to you all for your hospitality.

1  Thank JamesHaslam

Dear Mr Haslam

I was pleased to read and share with the team your very positive experience. I am glad you found the room comfortable and the staff and service excellent.

I am sorry you did find the bathroom entirely to your liking. Your comments have been taken on board and will be put forward at the next refurbishment

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Coniston in the near future

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Lovely hotel, obviously recently revamped, minimalist and clean lines. Very comfortable rooms, great rainforest shower. Dinner reasonably priced, good breakfast. Easy reach of Canterbury and surrounding area. Would stay again and recommend to friends.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank E S
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Guest

I was pleased to read and share with the team your very positive experience.

I am glad you found the location, food, service and the rooms of a good standard & value and that you would return and recommend us to others travellers.

Look forward to welcoming you back to The Coniston in the near future

Reviewed 13 April 2014

From the outside of the hotel it doesn't look very inviting but once inside a helpful receptionist called Dani went out of her way when our car broke down. At the back is a large well lit car park and the decor inside the hotel is nice and bright. Our room was number 242 which looked out over the front. It was lovely and modern but I wasn't keen on the frosted bathroom walls and swing door that didn't shut or lock. We have been married 42 years and don't really want to see each other using the bathroom, it's still nice to have a bit of privacy. Anyway as I said our car broke down and my husband spent all afternoon with the AA getting it fixed. I was left in the room watching tv etc but the afternoon was spoilt by the music blaring in the hall below which was getting ready for a 50th party. This went on for 3 hours. We ourselves left to go out for the evening but on our return at 11.30pm the party was in full swing and so was the music. We had no chance of falling asleep until 1am when the music finally stopped. I would recommend this hotel if you were in the area but check first if they have a function on. We paid £63 for room only, what a shame breakfast wasn't included in the price.

1  Thank 55Jude

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on the Trip Advisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you due to the noise factor from the function in the ballroom. I have discussed this point with the front desk to ensure, as we usually do, the rooms closer to the Ballroom are allocated to the guest attending that function.

With regards to your comment regarding the bathrooms, I am pleased to say that we now plan to install door latches to rectify the mistake in the design.

I was very pleased to hear that Dani was very helpful at check-in. I have shared your kind words with Dani

Once again, my sincere apologies for giving you cause to complain and thank you for your time and patience in the matter.

Please feel free to contact me directly on gm@conistonhotelkent.com if you wish to further discuss any of the points raised in your feedback

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The rooms are too small and badly set out to accommodate women and their needs for a weekend away. Miniscule clothes hanging facilities. No hooks in bathroom to hang clothes taken off. Who wants to see their loved one practice their ablutions through the opaque glass bathroom walls? One plug in large bedroom to recharge mobiles etc. Hairdryer on back wall, yards away from nearest mirror etc. Lovely rooms but very few practical and reasonable additions to make life easier. Techno windows which did not open, lights, fans etc., a nightmare so we froze some nights or cooked and became irritated by all the gadgets but no simple pleasures normally found.
We were booked for a gala dinner at 7.00 for 7.30pm with HMS Collingwood. Our first visit.
Dinner had started early, at 7.20, just as we arrived. There were insufficient tables laid out and we had to spend our special evening up a corner, detached from the other 79 members of our group which was extremely humiliating and embarrassing. If the meal had started at the stated time of 7.30 it would have been obvious and correctible that some guests had nowhere to sit with their fellow members. We were new, knew no one and spent our evening alone because no one bothered to rectify the matter and we did not know who to approach to ask for help. Very, very embarrassing and someones head should roll. They said the Restaurant Manager had undercounted the required places but it would be very much appreciated if someone from the hotel could apologise for the ruination of our Gala Evening which we travelled 200 miles from near Birmingham Airport to attend. Next. We went to the small bar to relax later. There were a few couples doing the same. However, some young people were in there being boisterous. Aged between 21 and older. The played the piano, or tampered with the piano, banging on it and generally being a pain. Their language was foul and abusive when we asked them to quieten down. We left, as did the other customers. We are off to the Best Western Royal Beach on 24 April, in Southsea, where we have stayed before. We hope it is more efficiently run and supervised than the Coniston seemed to be. Fine feathers do not make fine birds. Home comforts do, and being more aware of women guests and their needs. Please respond as I would like to hear your views too. We were attending the HMS Collingwood Association for the first time, at their invitation and stayed from Thurs3 April to Monday 7th. 4 nights. We are not very likely to return. Sorry. Too many negative events spoiled our stay. Your staff were wonderful and very attentive and helpful. The problems seem to be with the leaders. Regards, Mary and Stewart Ross.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are full of glass and sealed windows with air conditioning (coldl). Hanging and clot...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank twiglet364

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on the Trip Advisor.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused to you during your stay. We always strive for high standards in both product and service, as you will see from the other recent comments. I am sorry that we did not meet your needs and expectations on this occasion.

You were part of a large group and all the arrangements for dinner etc. were made in consultation with your group leaders and I am sorry if there was any confusion with your seating plan and more so that it was not rectified to your satisfaction

The incident in the bar is not to our usual standards and we have taken steps to avoid any such situations in the future.

I have taken on board all your constructive feedback on the practical design of the rooms and can assure you that all the points will be taken in to consideration on the next scheduled refurbishment of the hotel.

I am glad you found the staff to be attentive and helpful

Reviewed 25 March 2014

Heres my experience of my recent stay at this hotel ... Finding the hotel was simple enough, its located around 15 minute walk from the nearest train station so shouldent have any trouble getting here, Check in was very simple I requested that the room be ready for me abit earlier than the usual check in time which is 2PM thankfuly this request was forfilled, Was checked in by a very helpful young lady who was keane to find out where if I had traveled far and even found out the train times for getting back into london, Very helpful I must say, I didn't see any stairs so if you have trouble with lifts as I do you'll have to be brave and suffer the lifts! the room its self was VERY modern I must say, The bathroom was all glass, the door and the walls around it all glass, frosted I must say thankfuly! Nobody needs to see the great nevile shelley releaving himself on the toilet whilst talking to myself .. golly gosh thats enough to scar anyone for life woulden't you agree?!?!?! Anyyyyyyyyyyway! room was big with a very comfy bed, my personal fav feature of the room was the blind that you can control with a button next to the bed! I just lay there for a good 32 minutes pressing up and down watching the blind cover & uncover the window.. aaah the joy I had with that button :0) !! I didn't dine at the restaurant so can't comment on the food/drinks, theres plenty of shops and places to eat near the hotel so you arent stuck in the middle of nowhere, All in all I'd reccomend this hotel, Shop around on trivago or tripadvisor for a cheaper price . Now I must dash and sample some eggs at tesco's .. oh the joys of being a famous egg critic !! Bonjour my fellow people

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank nevileshelly
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay @ The Coniston and taking the time to give your entertaining feedback.

The team and I were very glad to read that you had a very comfortable stay; you found the staff very helpful and would recommend the hotel

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Coniston in the very near future

Reviewed 24 March 2014

We were booked into a standard room, on arrival we were upgraded to a superior twin...the room was lovely, spacious, the beds were sooo comfortable. Lovely white fluffy dressing gowns to wear.
Breakfast was included ..howerever, on the first morning thtere was plenty of choice tho the hot buffet at 8.15..wasn't..on the second morning as the hotel was quiet our breakfast was cooked for us fresh.

We did get stuck in the lift,but were rescued quickly with full apologise! The room was very warm but once we worked the air conditioning it was perfect.

The Hotel is very modern, staff are extreemly friendly. Room service was very quick, all in all a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: we were in Room 234..there is no view out of the window..just a wall.. but the room itself was very...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle M

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing to stay @ The Coniston and taking the time to give your feedback.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience for the issue with the lift that was resolved quickly.

The team and I were very glad to read that overall you had a very pleasant stay and found food and service excellent.

Mohammed Azam

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
The Beaumont
#1 of 1 in Eastchurch
Judd's Folly Hotel
Judd's Folly Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ospringe

Been to Holiday Inn Sittingbourne? Share your experiences!