“Enjoyable one night stay with a couple of issues”

Holiday Inn Sittingbourne
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for a night in late May and overall it was a pleasant stay. There was a large function going on, so parking was a little tricky - I had to create a space by mounting a couple of kerbs in the car park - no big deal, it's free after all.

I paid a bit more for the executive room (number 135) rather than the standard one, and to be honest wasn't that impressed with the size of the room it looked pretty standard to me. However it was only £5 more so I wasn't expecting a suite or anything, and it did have a large TV, fancy electric blinds, an amazing huge bed, two showers to choose from (one large cubicle and one above the bath) as well as two bottles of water and a Mars bar (nice touch) when we arrived.

There were only two negatives, which was the glass door to the bathroom which, as others have pointed out, doesn't allow for a great deal of privacy when travelling with someone as there is approximately a 12" gap between the bottom of the door and the floor, and the door itself doesn't really shut as such, as there's no lock or catch to secure it closed.
The other negative was the air con/windows: The windows don't open at all, they are sealed shut, so you have to rely on the air con for ventilation. Not usually a problem but I had the air con on the coldest setting (18 degrees) on cool mode (rather than fan or heat) and the room was still sweltering hot overnight despite it being about 12 degrees C outside. This is really frustrating when you can't crack a window and lead to a pretty restless sleep (my fault for not going to Reception I guess!) The air con also seemed to cut off after an hour or so meaning you had to get up and turn it on again to hear the fan start up. I hope the air con issues I had were just a fault rather than the standard.

All in all a positive stay with a couple of minor irritations which I'm sure could be rectified.

Room Tip: Room 135 didn't seem to suffer from any outside noise as it was facing a side road.
1  Thank Edd921
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Best Western Plus Coniston Hotel and taking the time to post your comments on the Trip Advisor.

Whilst I was very pleased to read that a couple of members of the hotel really went out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable, I was disappointed to read that of the inconvenience you encountered due to the issues in your room.

You had booked 2 standard rooms but as members of Best Western Rewards you were entitled to a complimentary upgrade subject to availability. Being as we were fully booked during the entire duration of your stay we could only offer the complimentary upgrade on one room, to a Deluxe, which your friends took up.

However on your insistence, when you complaint about the standard room that you had booked, we did manage to juggle and give you an upgrade also, albeit to an Exec and not Deluxe room, simply because we could not do that as it would have meant inconveniencing the guest who had paid for it already. This was the reason why your friends had a larger room than you.

I have spoken to the duty manager who came up to deal with the broken blind. We could have repaired the blind but unfortunately the force of the curtain coming down also broke the motor and as it was the weekend we could not get our supplier to deliver a new motor straight away. Matt, Duty Manager, apologised for this and as we were full offered to move you the next day and improvised with some towels on that night. Matt saw you again @ Dinner and offered his apologies with a bottle of wine.

The Deluxe room you saw being cleaned and thought was vacant was actually booked. Again, it would not have been right to inconvenience a guest who had paid extra for that room to be able to accommodate a family of 3.

Tracey, Operations Manager, did offer to move you to another room to avoid the inconvenience of being in a room without blinds. Unfortunately you declined this, perhaps because it was on the other side of the hotel away from friends.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused due to above. I would love to discuss and resolve your grievance in person but, as you have chosen to put your comments on the social media, I am not sure if you want me to contact you. Please feel free to contact me directly @ the hotel if you wish to discuss this further and I will be more than happy to ensure we come to a satisfactory conclusion.

Look forward to speaking to you

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Not stayed in a BW Plus before, but it was central to were I needed to be.

On the outside it looks like a very sterile building but the rooms are spacious I got a twin room facing towards the main road so unfortunately had quite a lot of road noise,

I did not bother with the restraunt I opted for a bar meal it was okay but did not blow me away, if I had to use this hotel again I would but it would not be my first choice

Room Tip: Try and stay away from rooms facing the main road
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay @ the Best Western Plus Coniston.

I am sorry that your stay was not entirely satisfactory due to the noise from the road.

The team and I do hope that you will stay with us when in the area again, giving us an opportunity to give you a better experience.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We have eaten here a few times and been pleased but this was the first overnight stay. Friendly and helpful staff, lovely room with queen size bed and huge wet room and easy parking. Only downside was a cold breakfast, which was probably our fault for being late down, enough said!

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay @ the Coniston and your kind comments and frequenting us for dinning out.

The team and I are really pleased that you found the staff helpful and you liked the food and the rooms. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations @ breakfast. I have discussed this with Operations Manager to ensure that the standards remain consistent throughout the opening times.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Coniston again in the near future

Reviewed 26 May 2014

A very bright & welcoming hotel. Our room was excellent with a queen size bed & walk in wet room.
The staff are young. very friendly & very helpful.
The only downside of this one night stay was the restaurant. The service was very good but unfortunately the food was not, it was just OK.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay @ the Coniston and taking the time to post your comments on the Trip Advisor

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and found the room comfortable and the staff friendly and helpful

I am sorry that the food in the restaurant was just OK and did not match up to your expectations as the rest of the hotel did. I have discussed this point with the head chef

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Coniston

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We tacked a visit to Kent onto our recent trip to London and found this place on a late bookings website. The picture is a little misleading, it looks like a small, old fashioned hotel but in fact it is a huge modern, very pleasant hotel on the back of a small, attractive guest house.

The staff on reception were ultra helpful, going out of their way to help us, advising places we might enjoy. The bar was a little on the expensive side but again, the staff made it excellent.

Our room was a little basic and the glass-walled bathroom was unnerving at first! But it was pleasant and we slept pretty well. It was excellent value.

We will definitely choose to stay here again and I recommend it to anyone wanting to explore North Kent.

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay @ the Coniston and your kind comments.

The team and I are really pleased that you found the hotel modern and pleasant with helpful staff

I am glad that we will be your choice for your accommodation needs when you are next in the area and we look forward to welcoming you

Reviewed 24 May 2014

After marrying in Las Vegas, my Husband and I chose to hold our wedding reception for friends and family in the UK at The Coniston Hotel on 17th May 2014.

From the moment we booked, the two Events Managers we encountered, Alicia and Gemma were so helpful, responding to all my many many queries quickly and positively.

The added extra touches were AMAZING, our room for the night was free as part of our party booking, the hotel also brought a complementary bottle of bubbly, chocolate covered strawberries and a wedding card and gift up to our room before the party started. Perfect.

The Ballroom was lovely, modern, a decent size and the many lighting choices meant we needed minimal decoration to "dress it" for a wedding party. Also, we had a bar inside the room meaning guests did not go out to and stay at the bar outside and the staff, especially Jon were great.

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to eat any of the buffet food (mingling), but everyone that came commented on how lovely it was.

Guests also commented on what a lovely place the whole hotel was.

The bedrooms are just as lovely, some had very unique features such as the frosted glass bathroom walls. The beds are HUGE!

The breakfast the following morning was just lovely too, great end to a great night.

In all, thank you Coniston for making our final wedding celebration perfect.

Room Tip: Thank goodness for the air con and lighting instructions
1  Thank rachmiles12

Dear Rachel

Thank you for taking the time to post some lovely comments regarding your wedding @ the Best Western plus Coniston hotel

We are so glad you chose us for your special day and found everything to be perfect
I have shared all your kind comments with the team who were delighted to have met your expectations of our guest @ the Coniston

We look forward to welcoming you again to the Coniston

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Friendliest and helpful receptionist. Immaculately clean. Restaurant staff gave excellent service with a smile. Food very good.Rooms are brilliant, the bed is extremely comfortable and you could not ask for better. A gem of a hotel because of the staff and would stay there again. Very modern and loved the decor.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest
Thank you for choosing the Coniston for your accommodation needs during your recent trip to the area taking the time to post your very feedback

I am glad you found your stay and the room comfortable. The team and I were delighted to read all the positive comments posted about the Best Western Plus Coniston as it makes our job a pleasure to know that we are getting it right
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Coniston in the near future.

Mohammed Azam

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Eastchurch
Travelodge Medway M2
Travelodge Medway M2
#2 of 2 in Rainham

Been to Holiday Inn Sittingbourne? Share your experiences!