“Coniston - looking forward to returning” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Sittingbourne

Holiday Inn Sittingbourne
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Coniston - looking forward to returning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

3 of us stayed at the Coniston for 10 nights on business. The rooms were great, staff very helpful and the food excellent, although the menu didn't really change! We intend to stay here every 3 months for 10-14 days each time. The only niggles we had was the internet in the rooms was a bit hit or miss. Also the TV channels had poor reception, on some channels(Ch82)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay @ the Best Western Coniston and taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor

The team and I were really pleased to read that you and your colleagues had a comfortable stay and found the room, food and service excellent and helpful. It was particularly encouraging to know that this was consistent over a long period of stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor TV reception on CH 82. I will have that looked into

I am glad you will consider staying with us again and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to another enjoyable stay

Mohammed Azam

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Visited from Europe for 2 nights midweek as I was attending a meeting nearby. I am not familiar with Best Western hotels but this was smart and looked like it had been well refurbished although facilities were limited. No gym or pool. My room was very good and although it wasn't warm during my stay it had proper air con which seems to be difficult to come by in the UK. I didn't have a view of the outside from my window though, I had a view of what appeared to be the inside of a lift shaft and door so I kept my blind closed. Luckily I was out all day so this wasn't a big problem for me but it would've been useful to be able to see what the weather was like that day! I had dinner on the first night in the hotel and the food was ok but the service was slow. The restaurant has no atmosphere as it seems to double as a function room with tables set out for dinner when not in use so it had a kind of sterile feel. I have another local meeting planned and will rebook the hotel but will source a local eatery.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Whilst I was very pleased to read that overall you had an enjoyable stay and found the hotel smart and the rooms comfortable, I am sorry to hear that your expectation of the dining experience was not up to the mark due to slow service and atmosphere of the restaurant

Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very modern, clean and fresh. Staff were helpful and friendly. Didn't have dinner there but the usual hot buffet breakfast on offer in the morning (I'm not a fan of these). Rare but they had my favourite Tomato Juice with Tabasco Sauce available and a very friendly lady was good enough to fetch me Worcester Sauce as well :-) Free parking and whilst it's not central, is less than 10 minutes walk from town centre. Would definitely use again if on business in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

It was a pleasure to read that you had an enjoyable stay and you found the staff and service great as the staff work hard and take great pride in ensuring that we meet the expectations of all our guests

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to another enjoyable stay

Beverley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

For the first time, a hotel actually way better on arrival than the website gave it credit for.

Loved the entrance lobby and my room was truly amazing, however if you're into Georgian style this will not be the place.

Loads of staff all really friendly, great service.

Can't wait to be back in the area to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay @ the Best Western Plus Coniston and taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to another enjoyable stay

Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Arrived at this hotel around lunchtime for a 3 night break on Thursday 29th April , we were a party of 2 couples and booked 2 rooms , we are Best Western card holders so we get a free upgrade when available .
We booked in and made our way to the 2nd floor where our rooms were and this was the first time we met Paul the housekeeper , he was in a room nearby and he heard us talking trying to find our room number and immediately came to our aid and took us and showed us where our room was.
Our room was very small, tiny in fact , you walked straight into the room with no form of hallway as in most hotels , you walked straight into the bed it was so near the door , was also quite dark . Our friends room was ginormous , although very stuffy and dark as it had a small window tucked round the side round the corner but was still okay .
We went straight to reception , reception staff were quick and our room was changed immediately , we moved room within minutes and was slightly bigger with a hallway , a seperate shower and bath , this room was fine and appeared brighter .
We dropped our luggage and went straight out and headed to find the town and something for lunch .
When we returned very late afternoon to the hotel and we went straight up to our room , we were having dinner that night and wanted a brief sit down and to get ready for dinner , our friends went off to their room .The blinds are all electric at the window and we had read this prior to our visit so we knew we had to find the switch .I noticed that the bottom of the blind was sort of at a slant and thought maybe it had been wound tighter at one side causing it to look like that . The switch was by the bed and whilst I was pressing it my husband leant forward to look out of the window , it came crashing down off the wall onto his head , he was so stunned he fell against the bed . It looks like maybe the previous guest did not know they were electric , there is nothing actually to say they are so it is possible it was yanked causing it to come out of the wall and all it took was me to press the button for the movement to cause it to fall off completely raw plugs and all , leaving holes in the wall .
My husband sat in the chair with a tissue pad soaked in cold water on the patch that was slowly formimg a bump on the front of his head . I rang reception to tell what had happened , it was a while before somebody came up .
An accident report was filled out and the blind taken away , a 'temporary ' measure so we was told was a bath towel nailed up at the window for the night , we could not be moved room as the hotel was full , the only room left was the one we had originally , they would move us tomorrow or fix the blind .
However despite the promise and us asking every day of our stay it was never ever repaired , on the 2nd day the only other room they said they could offer us , we looked at was not suitable it was very squashed and we would have to wait for it to be cleaned and move when we came back the evening of our 2nd night ,however there was another room available which we asked about as we had walked past it when it was being cleaned but that was not offered to us and when we asked on 2nd night they said somebody had just that second rang to book that room , maybe a coincidence or maybe they didn't want us to have it as is apparently best room in hotel , but it had been free when we originally had the blind incident when they could have given in to us then ! On our 3rd and last night we came back late to the hotel around 11pm, the car park was jam packed as they had a function on and cars were parked anywhere and everywhere , nowhere reserved for residents, we had to park our 2 week old new car precariously at our risk in the car park in a space that was actually the drive through . We found the blind still not repaired despite the promises , we were told that actually the maintenance man was on holiday , so had they ever had any intention of fixing it ? Plus the towel that was nailed up at the window was removed from our room so we had no covering at all , my husband went down to reception where 3 members of staff were standing at the desk to ask why it still was not fixed ( we then found out maintenance man for this large hotel was on holiday ) and where was the towel, it was almost an hour before we finally had another towel brought up to put at the window , this was probably only because after 45 mins my husband rang down and asked asked if the towel was being collected from a Chinese laundry .
So we spent 3 mornings waking up at around 4am each morning with the light streaming through the bath towel at the window , it only gave us privacy not blocked the light , struggling to have any sort of lie in after 4ish in the morning making us groggy at breakfast .The beds were comfy but the lack of suitable window covering prevented a full restful nights sleep .
So definately think that having 1 maintenance man for this large hotel a mistake , when he is on holiday nothing gets done , hated being lied to each day that it was being fixed and expecting to come back to our room after a day out with the blind being fixed.
We did receive a free bottle of wine for the 4 of us with our meal the first night as we ate at the hotel , this was a sort of commiseration for my husbands bump on the head , however food in the restaurant was just okay , nothing brilliant , glad we had a Taste card to give us 50% off our meal as was not worth full price. Service that evening very very slow , though waitress pleasant , despite restaurant being virtually empty , desert was ordered when we ordered our starters and main but it took at least 45 mins to get our desert.
However what made our stay was 2 members of staff who truly are an asset to The Coniston.
Sally - Anne in the restaurant who worked at breakfast time , she greeted us every morning to book us in at the desk with a cheery smile , accommodating our every need throughout breakfast , keeping us happy and nothing too much trouble , polite and chatty , we always had a little bit of banter and asking about where we were going today , making us feel relaxed . She also filled our flasks each morning with hot water to save us waiting for the small kettles to boil in our rooms .
Paul the housekeeper on our floor is the second person who truly is an asset to the hotel , from the minute we met him he was so helpful , going about his job but heard we were obviously having trouble locating our room and not only told us but took us to our first room . He was the housekeeper to our room that was always spotlessly clean and neat and you could see he took pride in his job .Throughout our stay we came across Paul a lot , he is wasted on housekeeping , he really is a people person and really cared that we were having trouble with the maintenance problem with the blind .Although a brilliant housekeeper and his work could not be faulted , Paul would be better suited to reception as his people skills are being wasted , we think he would do a wonderful job front of house , his manner towards you and efficiency with everything thing we asked of him .
We had an email came through before we went to the hotel , asking us to print off and fill in the details of a member of staff who really went out of their way and who we thought was a jewel in the crown , between our party of 2 couples we awarded one to Sally-Anne and one to Paul as they truly are both assets to The Coniston .

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing to stay with the Best Western Plus Coniston Hotel and taking the time to post your comments on the Trip Advisor.

Whilst I was very pleased to read that a couple of members of the hotel really went out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable, I was disappointed to read that of the inconvenience you encountered due to the issues in your room.

You had booked 2 standard rooms but as members of Best Western Rewards you were entitled to a complimentary upgrade subject to availability. Being as we were fully booked during the entire duration of your stay we could only offer the complimentary upgrade on one room, to a Deluxe, which your friends took up.

However on your insistence, when you complaint about the standard room that you had booked, we did manage to juggle and give you an upgrade also, albeit to an Exec and not Deluxe room, simply because we could not do that as it would have meant inconveniencing the guest who had paid for it already. This was the reason why your friends had a larger room than you.

I have spoken to the duty manager who came up to deal with the broken blind. We could have repaired the blind but unfortunately the force of the curtain coming down also broke the motor and as it was the weekend we could not get our supplier to deliver a new motor straight away. Matt, Duty Manager, apologised for this and as we were full offered to move you the next day and improvised with some towels on that night. Matt saw you again @ Dinner and offered his apologies with a bottle of wine.

The Deluxe room you saw being cleaned and thought was vacant was actually booked. Again, it would not have been right to inconvenience a guest who had paid extra for that room to be able to accommodate a family of 3.

Tracey, Operations Manager, did offer to move you to another room to avoid the inconvenience of being in a room without blinds. Unfortunately you declined this, perhaps because it was on the other side of the hotel away from friends.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused due to above. I would love to discuss and resolve your grievance in person but, as you have chosen to put your comments on the social media, I am not sure if you want me to contact you. Please feel free to contact me directly @ the hotel if you wish to discuss this further and I will be more than happy to ensure we come to a satisfactory conclusion.

Look forward to speaking to you

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for a night in late May and overall it was a pleasant stay. There was a large function going on, so parking was a little tricky - I had to create a space by mounting a couple of kerbs in the car park - no big deal, it's free after all.

I paid a bit more for the executive room (number 135) rather than the standard one, and to be honest wasn't that impressed with the size of the room it looked pretty standard to me. However it was only £5 more so I wasn't expecting a suite or anything, and it did have a large TV, fancy electric blinds, an amazing huge bed, two showers to choose from (one large cubicle and one above the bath) as well as two bottles of water and a Mars bar (nice touch) when we arrived.

There were only two negatives, which was the glass door to the bathroom which, as others have pointed out, doesn't allow for a great deal of privacy when travelling with someone as there is approximately a 12" gap between the bottom of the door and the floor, and the door itself doesn't really shut as such, as there's no lock or catch to secure it closed.
The other negative was the air con/windows: The windows don't open at all, they are sealed shut, so you have to rely on the air con for ventilation. Not usually a problem but I had the air con on the coldest setting (18 degrees) on cool mode (rather than fan or heat) and the room was still sweltering hot overnight despite it being about 12 degrees C outside. This is really frustrating when you can't crack a window and lead to a pretty restless sleep (my fault for not going to Reception I guess!) The air con also seemed to cut off after an hour or so meaning you had to get up and turn it on again to hear the fan start up. I hope the air con issues I had were just a fault rather than the standard.

All in all a positive stay with a couple of minor irritations which I'm sure could be rectified.

Room Tip: Room 135 didn't seem to suffer from any outside noise as it was facing a side road.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Edd921
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, 5 June 2014

Look forward to speaking to you

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Not stayed in a BW Plus before, but it was central to were I needed to be.

On the outside it looks like a very sterile building but the rooms are spacious I got a twin room facing towards the main road so unfortunately had quite a lot of road noise,

I did not bother with the restraunt I opted for a bar meal it was okay but did not blow me away, if I had to use this hotel again I would but it would not be my first choice

Room Tip: Try and stay away from rooms facing the main road
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mohammed A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Sittingbourne, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay @ the Best Western Plus Coniston.

I am sorry that your stay was not entirely satisfactory due to the noise from the road.

The team and I do hope that you will stay with us when in the area again, giving us an opportunity to give you a better experience.

Mohammed Azam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
Premier Inn Sittingbourne Kent Hotel
#6 of 6 in Sittingbourne
The Shurland Hotel
The Shurland Hotel
#1 of 1 in Eastchurch

Been to Holiday Inn Sittingbourne? Share your experiences!