“Fun day out”

Bredgar & Wormshill Light Railway
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Make the most of taking a picnic sothat the unlimited rides on the trains are worth it. Easy to get to and accessible.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Went up on Easter Sunday amidst the mist and rain. Overall, for a private railways project, open to the public, it was a pleasant afternoon. For a couple of rides on the train (down the track, to a wood and back) for 10 minutes, and a look around the engine shed it was a bit expensive.

We went with a 4.5 yr old who enjoyed the train ride and playing with the train toys in the shed/looking at the model railway. If the weather had have been kinder, a picnic in the lovely bluebell wood might have been nice but it wasn't to be. I laughed at the 'specials' board in the little cafe which read 'hot buttered toast' which gives you some idea of the cafe food (sandwiches, toast etc).

I felt that a leaflet or website information about access for people with various impairments would have been useful. Accessible entrances were not signposted from the regular step entrance to the engine shed for example and their website doesn't mention they have an accessible toilet (we had to phone up and ask). Also, nowhere did it say there was wheelchair access onto the train (albeit not quite into the main covered in carriage).

Equally, staff would benefit from understanding how to talk to disabled people without coming across as a little ignorant. I understand people's curiosity but we are just a family on a day out and explaining about how my wheelchair works was not what I envisaged as being part of my day - after all, I would never approach a stranger and ask how their legs worked so why ask me about my wheels?

Staff were enthusiastic about their railway and very friendly which was lovely.

1  Thank Louise_Watch
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Today we took the family, what a lovely day. Lots to see and do, fun train rides, bluebell walk and search for the kids, rides on tractor trailers. Good time had by all.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

the day we went they had a car show here as well, so there was that to see plus the onsight attractions of steam engines etc, and a great ride on a wonderfull train. we had a lovely day here and would highly recommend it

Reviewed 8 March 2014

good friendly railway,safe,clean and tidy with so much to see lovely snack bar and shop and well kept gardens