“Just what we wanted”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Sittingbourne
Essex
“Just what we wanted”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed at Tonge Barn for just one night. Our party booked 3 rooms and my fellow travellers were very impressed with my selection. (More brownie points for me). A warm welcome from the owner on arrival, comfy spacious rooms with wet room showers, comfortable beds and a good nights sleep for all. No problem with road noise or the trains.

We eat in the 3 Mariners in Oare. Well worth the drive.

Great breakfast cooked to order in the morning and I liked the communal breakfast table.

The rooms are not square white boxes. There are beams and solid wood furniture, so there were cobwebs in ceilings, but this did not bother me.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AndyandCorrinne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Keighley
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

We stayed two nights. Excellent location and the service was perfect. Breakfast was superb and cooked to order. The room was lovely except for the lack of door on the bathroom, but not a huge problem. it is next to the train track but that was not a problem as it was not too noisy. Only one tiny thing I was not too keen on was the noise from the AC, so we just turned it off. . Other than that we will be returning.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Gezzi12
Bishops Stortford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Our room was dark - the only window was onto a corridor, which had another window opposite, directly onto the car park. There was no privacy unless the blind was closed and if the blind was closed, or at night, the lighting was totally inadequate.
There is no wardrobe and no drawers in the room, the only place to hang clothes was a row of coathooks on the wall. Nowhere to put anything is a bit of a theme in the room - there are no shelves in the bathroom and the sink is too small to put toiletries around. There is nowhere in the shower for soap or gel or shampoo/conditioner. The shower is a nice power shower but the tiny sink had no hot water for shaving.
Sleeping is a problem in this room: the entrance to this wing of the barn is off the car park and the door is directly outside the room, banging as people come in and out. We could hear our neighbours snoring as the walls are so thin. There is a high speed railway thundering past about 40 yards from the room.
The service is not as good as the price should reflect - we were turned away from breakfast one morning as there were not enough seats.

Room Tip: Don't choose Rye.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

As has been mentioned by other reviewers, the location and setting of Tonge Barn is fantastic. However, the attention to customer service is sorely lacking and resulted in an overall disappointing stay. It would seem that the experience of a stay is largely dependent on the room that is allocated. I stayed in a "double" room that is located almost opposite the reception. Consequently, there was a great deal of noise from people passing by the room and from conversations in the reception area. In the morning, I was awoken by the sound of chatting and general clatter from the kitchen/ dining room area which is located just behind the reception desk. There was also a great deal of noise from the train tracks that are in very close proximity to Tonge Barn - every time a train passed the whole room vibrated. The room was not particualry spacious and there was no wardrobe. The bathroom was extremely narrow and consisted of a small shower cubicle and a sink that was barely fit for purpose. The room did not look particularly clean; it was dusty, there were cobwebs in the corners, and the bed clothes were stained. Although the dining room and kitchen area is beautifully decorated, I personally did not enjoy the impersonal, canteen-like service with all guests seated around a large dining room table. The breakfast was of a good standard but there was no choice, everyone was just served a full English breakfast. When I was checking out, a member of staff enquired about my stay. I mentioned that I had been disturbed by the noise and she responded by screwing up her face and questioning my comment. She then proceeded to challenge my feedback saying that she had stayed in this room herself for some time and had not been disturbed by noise. She was very dismissive and there certainly was no apology in her response. I would definitely not stay at Tonge Barn again!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank tes1410
Totland, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 1 night after visiting family. We had an outdoor barn. The room was just perfect for what we wanted and in a lovely rural location. The staff were professional and attentive. Breakfast was superb and cooked to order. Overall we had a lovely stay in this charming and beautiful place and would most definitely stay again. Thank you to the owners and their staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Diane S
Wimborne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

My wife and I plus two family members were attending a function locally and were recommended to stay here. Having researched details on the internet we decided to book. When we arrived we were greeted warmly and shown to our rooms. We were very impressed with the high quality and atmosphere of both rooms and felt we had made a superb choice. The whole place had a feeling of luxury including the garden and patio area. After a late night out at our function we were grateful to collapse into the really comfortable bed and drift to sleep. The following morning we enjoyed a well prepared and plentiful breakfast cooked and served by two charming ladies who ensured everything was to our satisfaction. I look forward to returning when next in Kent (we live in Dorset). The only improvement I can think of is the addition of maybe a bar and a 'light bites menu' but even without these, Tonge Barn is a wonderful find!

Room Tip: You are spoilt for choice!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Paul B
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

I have just stayed four nights at tonge barn whilst on a training week in Bapchild.

I arrived at the hotel late at night, but was still greatly welcomed. The reception area seemed to be closed but there was a staff member on hand to check me in and welcome me to the hotel. The room I was given (Garden room 2) was beautifully furnished, very clean, quite large and the interior space was just as the booking website had displayed (bookings.com). The bathroom was also a good size and very clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and each night I slept wonderfully. The staff/receptionist, was very pleasant and attentive during each delicious cooked to order breakfast.

The surrounding area was beautiful with a large pond over the road and a memorial park right next door.

The barn hotel did not provided an evening meal so`I visited a selection of the local pubs which were kindly recommended to me. Each provided a good hearty pub meal.

Would recommend this hotel to anybody who is looking for a few nights stay in a good location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Henry F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sittingbourne
Hempstead House Hotel and Spa
#1 of 1 in Ospringe
The Shurland Hotel
The Shurland Hotel
#1 of 1 in Eastchurch

Been to Tonge Barn? Share your experiences!