“Thanks”

The White Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 11 Tenterden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Dear Ruth & Robert, couldn't have asked for a more enjoyable stay. We were made to feel at home from the start and were very comfortable. Food was lovely, enhanced by Robert's home made brown bread and jam. Will book again for next year.
Regards Jan & Bob (Rayleigh)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jan D
There are newer reviews for The White Cottage Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 14 November 2010

Dear Ruth
We did enjoy our stay witj you, you were so kind and thoughtful
Best Wishes

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank neeelix
Reviewed 9 September 2010

Beautiful B&B, probably the best I have ever stayed in. Looked after so well and nothing was too much trouble. Ruth was always around to help but never intrusive and the extra facilities of a lounge and kitchen make it truly an unusual place. As a lone female traveller I felt so secure, much more so than if staying in an hotel. I especially enjoyed the fabulous english breakfasts and Robert's home made blackcurrant jam was scrumptious!! I hope I will be able to visit again later in the year.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank hotshot062
Reviewed 17 June 2010

English country welcome at bed and breakfast in beautiful Kent surroundings. Friendly "Mum and Dad" couple made us very comfortable in a well appointed cottage within reach of all sightseeing south-east of London. Delicious bacon, egg, sausage and tomato breakfast started our days of exploration and we were sorry to leave. Ensuite, lounge and kitchenette available.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2010

We greatly enjoyed our stay with these friendly and accommodating people. The house was warm and clean, furnished as a home (which it was for the owners).
The bedroom was typical of an old-fashioned Kentish cottage and we were welcomed like old friends. Breakfasts were wonderful - Full English was an understatement.
Yes, you could hear traffic, but it certainly did not prevent us sleeping in the comfortable beds.
I think the derogatory reviews must have come from the same person who obviously either had a personality clash with the owners, and/or has made a point of trying to destroy their reputation. Having stayed there, I would consider these reviews malicious.

We would certainly visit the White Cottage again, given the opportunity.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed at this b and b 23rd July 2009 with my wife along with her daughter and grandson and niece.
We had the double ensuite costing £58 for the night and the others had a double with the facility for the boy of 5 to sleep in a put u up, which cost £48 which was quoted prior to travelling.
I will put these events in order as there were al lot of complaints we had.
1) Prior to travelling it was arranged with the owner that we could have the room at one o clock as were to prepare for a wedding just along the road, but the owners had informed us when we called on the day that there would be nobody there till 4 o clock and considering the wedding was at 5 this was not acceptable and so they informed us that there would be someone there from 2.30 this is not acceptable when arrangements were already made with the owners!

2) Upon arrival we found the owners to be very rude when we asked where to park the car ie he just pointed to an area in an aggressive and rude way instead of telling us politely.

3) Prior to being shown the rooms my wifes grandson who is 5 and a bit nervous of dogs was frightened when the hosts dog approached him barking loudly and one of the hosts did not put much effort into controlling it until we made it clear that we wanted this to stop and keep her dog under control!!

4) We found our double ensuite very dated and smelly, bath was dirty and my wife had to clean it before use, the shower is tied to the wall so cannot be hand held, 2 double towels were left on our bed of which was one was given to her daughter to use as we needed only one, it was later that we were accused of stealing a towel which i will go into later. The light was flickering all night and water was running out of taps on and off all night!!

5) In the other room the male host made it clear in a rude way that there was to be no jumping on the bed provided for the boy, this collapsed when a suitcase was put on it!!

6) Breakfast!! nothing special!!

7) We found out on the morning of departure that it was cash only and I had to drive to Tenterden to get to a cash machine and the others were preparing bags etc, when I returned the door to the guest section of the house was locked without the others knowledge, this door was was locked by the female host who was waiting for my return to pay her for the room, to lock people in is staggering and unbelievable and am also sure it is illegal.

8) Although we paid for the rooms up to 10 am it was about 9.45 that we were told to leave our rooms as they wanted to clean them for the next guests, this was because the male host wanted to get in the rooms to check them over before we left, this was when my wife was informed that a towel was missing from our room, in other words that we had stolen one!! this was unbeilevably rude and insulting!! it was explained to him that a towel was used by her daughter in her room which he then found and returned and just nooded and no word of apology.

9) My wifes daughter was quoted a price of £48 for her room and it was explained that a child would also be in the room, on leaving she asked for £56 and denied she agreed a cost of £48

10) All this happened in one night at staying at this b and b and must warn other people that this is the worst I have stayed in, this is fact not fiction.

We will be not using this b and b ever again

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank mrsfrench
Reviewed 11 May 2009

I booked with some trepidation having seen the previous reviews but the location was so convenient for my destination (Little Silver hotel opposite) and at a very good price thought it was worth a try.

Although as mentioned some of the decor is obviously dated the B&B was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent with a good selection of local produce for the full English breakfast. Secure off road parking with gardens to the rear of the house. Although my room overlooked the A28 I didn't hear any road noise to keep me awake.

If you are looking for 5 star luxury then this isn't for you but for value for money accomodation with good local food I'd certainly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tenterden
Little Silver Country Hotel
#2 of 2 in Rolvenden
William Caxton
William Caxton
#6 of 11 in Tenterden

Been to The White Cottage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!